How does one install programs?

I know that I can use YaST to search a decent database of programs and other tools, but how do I get stuff otherwise? I am not altogether sure on how to add repositories to the database through the terminal, although I have done it once by copying code from the web. So…can someone show me how to download programs from the web without a terminal or the add/remove software program?
Thanks

The preferred way is to use software packages provided by the openSUSE repositories, so these guides should help you get started:

https://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Software_Management

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Add_package_repositories#YaST_software_repositories

Is there anything particular you’re looking for?

You can also search for openSUSE software via

https://software.opensuse.org/find

It allows for simple installation using your package manager to install, along with any dependencies that may be required.

A basic guide
http://opensuse-guide.org/installpackage.php

@Deano. For example how do I install Java or Flash for a browser, or how about Steam or Skype.

Java is already installed
Flash will usually get pulled in once you run all the updates
A multimedia guide is here;
https://forums.opensuse.org/entry.php/160-openSUSE-13-2-Multimedia-Guide

and: skype for opensuse 13.2? - Applications - openSUSE Forums

Steam:
https://en.opensuse.org/Steam

as above java is installed
BUT
there are TWO java’s AGAIN!!! (more than a few years back Microsoft had a second version of java)

we are back again with the GPL’ed and installed BY DEFAULT “openJDK”
the second is Oracles java ( might go closed source? iffy on this??? )

openjdk 1.7 and / or 1.8 IS installed this is also known as " Icedtea"

just do a zypper search

su -
zypper se java 

you will see a “i” infront of the INSTALLED programs
example - a snippet

| java-1_7_0-openjdk-bootstrap-headless             | JRE based on OpenJDK 7 and IcedTea 7 without X, audio and video support | package                
  | java-1_7_0-openjdk-demo                           | Sources for building demo applications with OpenJDK 7                   | package                
i | java-1_7_0-openjdk-devel                          | Java SDK based on OpenJDK 7 and IcedTea 7                               | package                
i | java-1_7_0-openjdk-headless                       | JRE based on OpenJDK 7 and IcedTea 7 without X, audio and video support | package                
  | java-1_7_0-openjdk-javadoc                        | Documentation of the Java API of OpenJDK 7                              | package                
i | java-1_7_0-openjdk-plugin                         | Java Web Start and plugin implementation                                | package                
i | java-1_7_0-openjdk-src                            | OpenJDK 7 Java class sources for developers                             | package   
i | java-1_8_0-openjdk                                | OpenJDK Runtime Environment                                             | package   
  | java-1_8_0-openjdk-accessibility                  | OpenJDK accessibility connector                                         | package   
  | java-1_8_0-openjdk-demo                           | OpenJDK Demos                                                           | package   

How about if I want to install something that isn’t in the online repo list. Lets just say that it’s a small piece of software that a friend built. Metaphorically speaking, how would I download his file if it’s a .rar or .tar.gz?

if YOU install from source then YOU MUST keep track of things .
including IF a rpm from the package manager will break that program
or if that program will CAUSE problems for the rpm’s in the repos .

for a few things this is easy , but it gets exponentially more difficult with more programs

Depends on where you want it and what it needs. You can simply un tar/zip the program and run it assuming you have all the needed libraries installed. Some programs need to live in the system ie under root control rather then as a user program. In some cases you can only get the program as source so you must compile it and this depend on the language used and having all the right libs and generally you will find a readme file with full instruction. So for a given program not in any repo read the instructions.

But have you actully looked at the repos??? Yast-Software Management is where to start. if you can’t find the program there try the on line search and if not there find the source and compile. There are also commercial paid for programs for very high end things. Follow instructions and if they don’t work ask the developers since you did just pay a bunch for a program :open_mouth: Generally it is better to see the OS they recommend and use that since we are talking some serious money and most are not meant for the casual user.

All in all this is much easier then dealing with Windows programs. First 99% of the things you may want are in the repos. So it is one stop shopping.

As fo Java unless you have very special needs the Java that ships should work just fine. If you really need Oracle Java then install it. BTW you can have 2 Javas installed at the same time it is only a little tricky.

Note this is openSUSE so only open source software ships as default any propritary software you need to deal with. In general it is not hard but you may need to ask here if you get stuck.

One thing to lookout for is that some proprietary software (I’m looking at you Skype) only comes in 32 bit. SO if you run 64 bit OS you may need to install some 32 bit versions of some libraries.

The trick is to start the program form a console and it will tell you what is missing. You then add the 32bit version of what is said to be missing.

On Tue 07 Apr 2015 02:06:02 AM CDT, Cake wrote:

caf4926;2703295 Wrote:
> Java is already installed
> Flash will usually get pulled in once you run all the updates
> A multimedia guide is here;
> openSUSE 13.2 Multimedia Guide - Open Chat - openSUSE Forums
>
> Skype:
> Check: Skype - openSUSE Wiki
> and: skype for opensuse 13.2? - Applications - openSUSE Forums
>
> Steam:
> Steam - openSUSE Wiki

How about if I want to install something that isn’t in the online repo
list. Lets just say that it’s a small piece of software that a friend
built. Metaphorically speaking, how would I download his file if it’s a
…rar or .tar.gz?

Hi
Just download and extract to you home directory and run there, assuming
they are native linux applications. In gnome shell i can just right
click on the archive file (zip, tar.gz etc) and extract, change to the
directory and then right click to open a terminal window and try to
run, eg;

chmod 0700 some_super_duper_app
../some_super_duper_app

The chomd command may not be needed if the file permissions are alread
set to executable ‘rwx’ visible from the ls command.

ls -la some_super_duper_app
-rw-r--r-- 1 malcolml users 0 Apr  6 21:40 some_super_duper_app
chmod 0700 some_super_duper_app
malcolml@grover:~> ls -la some_super_duper_app
-rwx------ 1 malcolml users 0 Apr  6 21:40 some_super_duper_app

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Ah ok. I completely understand now. I extracted some files to my /Home/ folder and they worked just fine. I’m sorta getting the hang of this. Thanks.

I would call this problem/question solved :smiley: Thanks everyone for the help.

On 2015-04-07 04:06, Cake wrote:
> How about if I want to install something that isn’t in the online repo
> list. Lets just say that it’s a small piece of software that a friend
> built. Metaphorically speaking, how would I download his file if it’s a
> .rar or .tar.gz?

The correct method is “reading the instructions of that package” :slight_smile:

Typically there is a README or INSTALL file. Although most packages use
about the same method with some variations: ./configure, make, make
install, for source packages; for binaries there will be something to be
run. For scripts, usually just copy the script to {home}/bin.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))