openSUSE 13.2 Multimedia Guide

**openSUSE 13.2 Multimedia Guide

*Please note this is a duplication of the 13.1 guide with the repos edited to 13.2. I have used this guide and it works, though there seems to be some issue with h264enc x264. These didn’t install for me and I didn’t force the issue. All is well though.

**Revised and Simplified manual Method****This assumes you already have the default: OSS, NON-OSS, NON-OSS-Update and Update repositories.

NOTE You need to become su - in a terminal
Become super user in a terminal (su -). Learn how here

STEP 1: Add Packman and libdvdcss repositories

zypper ar -f http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_13.2/ packman
zypper ar -f http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/13.2/ libdvdcss

Now do

zypper ref

(a) to accept always and trust the signing key

FOR KDE USE:

zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 flash-player dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux k3b-codecs gecko-mediaplayer vlc smplayer h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-codecs

**FOR GNOME or XFCE or LXDE USE: **

zypper install libxine2-codecs ffmpeg lame gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ffmpeg libdvdcss2 flash-player dvdauthor07 gstreamer-plugins-base gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-bad-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-ugly-orig-addon gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegdemux gstreamer-0_10-plugins-fluendo_mpegmux vlc smplayer totem-browser-plugin h264enc x264 gstreamer-plugins-libav vlc-codecs

If you face choices. Look carefully for the option to let the package/s switch from openSUSE > packman

When done. Close the terminal. And open Yast > Software Management and Apply the Package Switcher on Packman.

KDE: Example of Packman switch in KDE

Gnome: Example of Packman switch in Gnome

If you encounter dependency errors: Eg: Errors You need to accept changes that allow vendor switch to Packman If you can’t work it out. Ask in the forum.

IMPORTANT NOTES:**

1. This multi-media install now separates kde and gnome. This should ensure a complete multi-media experience with the least difficulty.

2. A good step by step multimedia check is available HERE

3. Please do not use the VideoLan repository!

4. OneClick options will be available here: Restricted formats - openSUSE Community Wiki

very good tutorial as always for every version, well done :slight_smile:

Great post - multimedia works perfectly under KDE now.
The only really minor issue I could find with it is the link to the multimedia check, which seems to be broken…

Initally there was a dependency issue with h264enc x264 with KDE 32-bit, but it’s fixed now. Thanks for the guide, it helped me.
Cheers,
Howard

T H A N K S !! ‘SEX’cellent’ as always! ;]]

thx u… ur so briliant
http://baguspedia.com/idrpoker-com-agen-texas-poker-dan-domino-online-indonesia-terpercaya/

Worked for me. thanks…:):slight_smile:

When I tried this it was unable to find gecko-mediaplayer. Which repository should this be in?

I’m getting the frustrating “media-pulgin-webkit error” on starting a Second Life viewer, and it’s driving me crazy trying to sort this out.

Also, I’m usng a GTE550 video card. Do I still need to remove nouveau and install that driver?

http://Earningloot.biz/?reflink=mustapha2015 it works for me

It appears that most of the users here are quite proficient so please excuse a novice. I downloaded and burned the iso using KB3. Everything checked out ok. I was running 12.2 but the disk was starting to crack and I figured I would upgrade. Center was breaking out. Could not find a 12.2 iso.

I have a Compaq Presario C700 with Intel processor. Processor (CPU): Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2370 @ 1.73GHz
Speed: 800.00 MHz

Installed the 13.2, everything was ok but boot manager failure occurred, set up to boot from root, and everything appeared to install ok. Saw no indication of any error.

Rebooted, and kicked me into grub. Neither KDE or Gnome would work, but no indications of errors loading drivers for KDE or Gnome. How can I get this running from the grub command line or as root or SU?

Great Job as always !!!

I always seem to forget what to install on new installations so thanks for this (and all its previous incarnations).

Just a feedback.

w32codec-all requires libstdc++.so.5
But there only version 6 on the system …

I have a DVD (a Disney DVD) that plays well under windows with VLC but not in openSUSE (same VLC version), so I think there’s a codec problem.
w32codec maybe is an issue since in older openSUSE version it was installed.
Maybe w32codec can solve, but I’m not sure.

Thnx: also workes like a charm on Tumbleweed. :slight_smile:

Up till today it still works, also on Lepa 42.2 and Tumbleweed:good: