[openSuse 11.4] - Strange issues with a Lenovo T510

Good morning / afternoon everybody !

I’m experiencing some strange isssues with openSuse 11.4 64 bits with Gnome desktop on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510 (type number: 4349-4JG).
I set installed packages during openSuse’s installation, so that I don’t have any KDE packages (except for specific dependencies).
It was installed without any errors, and the very first thing I did was getting my system updated.

When I try to use 32bits Terminal, system freezes and desktop gets “broken” in many parts. I can’t do anything, the mouse works but keyboard doesn’t. Force my laptop to shut down is the only thing I can do.
Sometimes, I’m logged out (without clicking on “Log Out” !) when I’m doing something. It’s quite random, but I experienced it during a soft install (crossover, Firefox) or when I’m working (or trying to…) on LibreOffice Write and Calc.
And when I could get crossover installed, I experienced this issue at any time I was trying to install a Windows soft: Adobe Reader, Outlook, etc. In this case, the software bottle is created but the soft isn’t installed.

I updated laptop’s BIOS before trying to install openSuse.

Anyone has an idea ?

P.S.: I’m new with openSuse, but not with Linux systems.

On 07/13/2011 12:36 PM, Ashina wrote:

> I set installed packages during openSuse’s installation, so that I
> don’t have any KDE packages (except for specific dependencies).

my first guess is that during your “set installed packages” you blocked
the instillation of needed stuff…

idea: with your experience level in openSUSE maybe it is better to go
with the default, and then delete items when you understand their
use/value to you system…

> When I try to use 32bits Terminal

why do you say 32bit terminal when you installed 64? (did you
selectively install some 32 bit utilities in addition to some 64 bit
ones, or what?

> Sometimes, I’m logged out (without clicking on “Log Out” !) when I’m
> doing something. It’s quite random, but I experienced it during a soft
> install (crossover, Firefox) or when I’m working (or trying to…) on
> LibreOffice Write and Calc.
> And when I could get crossover installed, I experienced this issue at
> any time I was trying to install a Windows soft: Adobe Reader, Outlook,
> etc. In this case, the software bottle is created but the soft isn’t
> installed.

wait a second! there is imo absolutely no reason to install Adobe Reader
for Windows to run in crossover (or WINE)! (that is, there is an Adobe
Reader made for Linux and freely downloadable/installable into openSUSE…)

and, if you must hang on to OutHouse (Outlook)…well, the way you
describe it it sounds like you must run Window’s software, and want to
do it in Linux…if that is all you want then just run real
(licensed/legal) Windows in a VM hosted by Linux…job done.

> P.S.: I’m new with openSuse, but not with Linux systems.

did you also use your previous Linux install to host crossover and a
full complement of Window’s software?

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software

openSUSE®, the BMW® of operating systems!

I didn’t remove anything other KDE packages, except for required packages (dependencies). I first tried with default install (with Gnome), but I experienced some issues with KDE packages, ksmolt in particular.

I found a 32bits Terminal in Applications Menu, and just wanted to try to use it. Nothing more.

I tried to install Adobe Reader just for test. I could have chosen any other Windows software, no matter as I experience this issue at any time I try to install something.
I must have an Outlook installed, as I have to use it at work (with other Windows software, which were packaged with VMware ThinApp). Windows License is not a problem, I can use job’s one. But as I hate Windows and as I have to run many other VMs, I wanted to avoid this workaround to spare storage and RAM. And even if I choose this solution, I can’t, because I experience this issue when I try to install VMware Server or Workstation.

I tried it on Ubuntu without issues, but it was on another PC (my private one).

On 07/13/2011 03:06 PM, Ashina wrote:

> I tried it on Ubuntu without issues, but it was on another PC (my
> private one).

suggest you use what works!

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software

You’re right, but I really wanted to try openSuse. And as it’s officially supported by Lenovo on their laptops (normally…), I thought it was a good opportunity to give it a try.

By the way, I tried to install CentOS 6 on this laptop, and I can’t log in. It freezes when I try to insert my password. Seems like my laptop has a serious problem, no ?

On 07/13/2011 09:36 PM, Ashina wrote:
>
> You’re right, but I really wanted to try openSuse. And as it’s
> officially supported by Lenovo on their laptops (normally…),

really?? well, i just looked at the “Datasheet” from Lenovo

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/notebooks/ThinkPad/t-series/ThinkPad_T410_T510_Datasheet.pdf

and it says, on page two the supported operating systems are Win7 32/64,
vista and xp…

> I thought it was a good opportunity to give it a try.

it is a good opportunity! but, not if begin by mucking around with the
install before you know anything about whats what… why? because doing
that and you do not have a chance of knowing if it will work or if you
messed it up during install…

let me recommend you
-download a Live CD of KDE
-md5sum check the iso
-burn an install CD as the lowest speed you can
-boot from the CD and do this http://tinyurl.com/2ebcf27
-if the disk has no errors, boot again and do NOT install, but instead
run it live a while…do some browsing, give it a good test spin, make
sure the keyboard works, the mouse, whatever…

THEN, consider installing after you have read the following:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/424611-new-users-opensuse-pre-install-general-please-read.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/new-user-how-faq-read-only/454963-new-users-opensuse-11-4-pre-installation-i-please-read.html

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451831-install-opensuse-alongside-win7-vista-guide.html

note: don’t let the “New Users” in the title throw you off–those are
for new openSUSE users with even 25 years of *nix experience…

additionally, have a cruise through the problems turned up by google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Lenovo+T510+linux+problem

>
> By the way, I tried to install CentOS 6 on this laptop, and I can’t log
> in. It freezes when I try to insert my password. Seems like my laptop
> has a serious problem, no ?

well i don’t know what the problem is, but if it were my laptop i would
do this before trying another install:

-backup all data you have collected on that machine (music, emails,
etc…anything you want to keep) to an off machine medium

-try a few Live CDs (there are many of them!) if the openSUSE live CDs
don’t run, then for sure give Knoppix a try (it has probably the very
best hardware detection routines)

-if none of them works, say thank you to whoever picked out the T510 for
you, and send Lenovo a congratulations note, because their Datasheet is
completely correct.

OH! you might look around and find a disto with an older kernel…maybe
Debian, Arch, Puppy…OH, the google above finds some folks having
pretty good experience (few problems) with Ubuntu 10.04, so don’t give
up until you have tried it also…

good luck, and let us know if you get going with openSUSE, or had to
find something else!!

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software

By supported, I meant that drivers for Linux exist for this laptop.

I tried it with a Live CD before (but with a GNOME Desktop), and tested my DVD before installation. No errors were found.
I read carefully the links above, except for third one, because I don’t want any dual boot installation (especially with Windows !).

Concerning backups, instead of copy/paste gigas of datas separately, I always do a full system image with Acronis.

Finally, I have a piece of good news. I installed a 32bits openSuse 11.4, and I don’t get that much issues. I mean, I didn’t try to install anything yet, but it works since yesterday with this edition without Xorg crashes or unwanted log out.
I’m going to install some software this afternoon, I’ll see if it’s better.

EDIT: It has just got a freeze, but came back to a normal state after about 30 seconds.

If no, I’ll try with Ubuntu and Knoppix.

According to the spec sheet, that Lenovo T510 has hybrid graphics: “• Intel® Integrated Graphics and NVIDIA® NVS3100M
Discrete Graphics” …

All GNU/Linux distributions, and not just openSUSE are struggling with PC’s with hybrid graphics. We have a thread on it here on this subject: Hybrid Graphics driver help needed

openSUSE really needs a user to figure this out, and then create a guide for others to follow. Perhaps you could volunteer to figure this out and create a guide?

On 07/14/2011 02:36 PM, Ashina wrote:
> EDIT: It has just got a freeze, but came back to a normal state after
> about 30 seconds.

when you have a very new install there are several things that want to
get some initial searching done (desktop searching)…when they are
running it slows down everything else…

just be patient, depending on what all has to be indexed it could take
from some minutes to some hours…

and, the way the system is set up you can usually expect lots of things
to start up in the background about 15 minutes after boot–just expect
it and work though it…everything is usually done in a few minutes and
from then on it should be super smooth sailing!

and, at least at first don’t assume your system is “frozen” until you
have given it as much as five or 15 minutes to regain its composure…

personally, i never consider my machine needing any drastic action (like
forced shutdown, kill, etc) until i’ve given the system 15 minutes to
see if it can work out the problem by itself…

just walk away, and wait…it OFTEN happens i come back and all is
cool…and, it may not happen again…

by the way, what are your graphics? if ati or nvidia be sure and see
here…LOTS of problems with graphics with the newer kernels:
http://tinyurl.com/37v9y7m

DD
Caveat-Hardware-Software

Okay, oldcpu seems to be right.
This Lenovo does have hybrid graphics, an Intel Integrated Graphics and a Nvidia NVS3100M. Kind of crazy, it never worked with Windows, all drivers updated… :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to try to figure this out… I can’t promise for a future guide, but if I find a good solution, I’ll do it.

Okay, nVidia Optimus doesn’t seems to be supported on Linux, as nVidia isn’t developing any packages for it.
As I won’t use this laptop for huge graphic work or games, I would like to tell to openSuse how to use Intel Integrated Graphics only.

Still trying to figure this out, and here’s the result of command /sbin/lspci -nnk:

aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:215c]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0be3] (rev a1)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:218f]
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

I guess that the driver loaded for nVidia card is not the proprietary nVidia one, right ?
And I don’t see anything about Intel Integrated Graphics chip.

The driver loaded is ‘nouveau’ which is the latest open source driver. The proprietary driver would appear as ‘nvidia’.

Indeed ! It (the integrated graphics chip) should be there if it is hybrid graphics.

Can you instead provide the output of:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

Note GNU/Linux is case sensitive.

Somem PC’s with hybrid graphics provide the capability to enable/disable the other graphic device in BIOS. Have you looked in BIOS ?

Please refresh my memory. By Optimus you are refering to the power management ? The GT218 (which is a GeForce 210 series) should be supported by the proprietary nvidia video driver, but the special power management may not work in GNU/Linux with that proprietary (for GNU/Linux) driver.

Okay, sorry, I forgot to get input of the command in VGA pipe…

aswi@cor-nb7-15c:~/Desktop> /sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT218 [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:215c]
	Kernel driver in use: nouveau

Nothing more… :
I looked in BIOS first, as I’m quite lazy :wink: But unfortunately, the Lenovo BIOS is… just too simplistic to set that.

Optimus is the name given by nVidia to their technology which manages hybrid graphics: enabling Intel GPU to spare battery or enabling nVidia GPU to get high graphic performances.
You could call it “Power management”, but it’s not only that; it’s more an automated technology to switch between intergrated and nVidia GPU to optimize both graphics and power.

[http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html](nVidia Optimus)

AMD/ATI has a similar technology, but I can’t remember the name…

It appears then that the Intel Graphic is disabled. If not in BIOS then I don’t know where. Possibly it can not be enabled ? Likely you need to research your hardware and tell us. Can it be enabled in another OS ? (such as Windows7) ?

Did you look at the Thinkwiki for your Lenovo T210 ? - Category:T510 - ThinkWiki That is a GNU/Linux specific page with lots of good links.

For the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M you could look here: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 3100M - ThinkWiki

There is a thread here: Asus 1215n GPU switching on ubuntu HELP - nV News Forums (which I have not fully read) explaining how to shut off the nvidia card with acpi calls, however given the Intel graphics are not recognized I would be very cautious if one is to try that.

Edit: this is probably a better thread to look at here: http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspot.com/

I recommend you look into “Bumblebee” for GNU/Linux. I ran across this post: Bumblebee brings nvidia optimus GPU switching to Linux users | OMG! Ubuntu!

Where in turn for openSUSE-11.4 someone has packaged this: software.opensuse.org: Search Results and I quote:

Bumblebee is Optimus support for Linux, with real offloading, and not
switchable graphics… More important… it works on Optimus Laptops without a
graphical multiplexer…

My wife is calling me to go shopping, so I have to run. But you could research on that, and possible create a guide if you figure it out. I also posted something similar in another ‘Optimus’ thread.

I also note someone has posted a guide re: bumblebee here: Getting maximum battery time from an ASUS eeePC 1015pn

Reference bumblebee, I think originally it was referred to as ‘prime-ng’ and then later renamed to bumblebee. There is a Phoronix article about it here: [Phoronix] NVIDIA Optimus Unofficially Comes To Linux](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTQxNg)

which references the developers blog here:
Optimus on Linux Problem Solved | Martin Juhl’s Blog

Thank you for all these ! I’ll give it a try.