can't login after removing some programs

hi
after removing some programs I’m not able to login (I’m using an other computer now). I’m using opensuse 11.4
the boot screen has changed from the normal to a grey one. before login following messages came up:

bluetoothd[1460]: input-headset driver probe failed for device D8:2A:7E:7F:4E:17
kernel [24.446981] vboxdr: fAsync=0
offMin=0x38a offMax=0xdc2

after entering my login data, the following messages come up:

linux-0q60 NetworkManager [1399]: <error> [1306914853.208950] [nm-manager.c: 1368] user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not get owner of name ‘org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings’: no such name

what should I do?
thanks

I see this is your first post here: Welcome.

That said, you must understand that it is impossible for people to help you when you do not give them the maximum amount of information possible.

What do you mean by “some programs”? Which ones? How did you remove them?

On 06/01/2011 11:06 AM, ed 77 wrote:

> after removing some programs I’m not able to login

put back everything you took out…

dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

Hi
Unfortunately I don’t remember all. Some download related programs as a beginner I’ve installed more before. One of the was Uget.
Since the post I realized that actually I can log in but it is openbox (which is totally unknown for me). I also managed to log in through command line but I don’t know what to do.

Actually I can’t do it. I managed to login through openbox but I cannot use Install/uninstall.

If you can get to the command line log in as root and run Yast.

Maybe a zypper dup would help but be sure you only have the basic 4 repositories active. That should bring you back to the default install state.

I repeat: How did you remove them? When you did using YaST or zypper there must be a loging somewher where you can see what you did.

BTW I doubt if a zypper dup will install to the default state. zypper dup wil update installed packages to a newer version when available on the repos (even if a vendor change is needed). But what is not installed will not be updated. Also there not such a thing as a defualt install state. Everybody can trim his installation during install. The only thing that may be restored imho are missing dependencies. But I doubt if the OP deinstalled braking dependencies. In fact we do not even know what he means by “removing some programs” (as you, see I am am still trying to find out what he did and he is not very helpfull in explaining).

I’ve tried to run yast.
Result: ‘bash: /sbin/yast: No such file or directory’

This is my last post wen you do not answer my questions. What do you mean by “removing some programs”. Even if you do not know anymore which ones, you can at least tell how/what you did. We are not clairvoyant!

And also we do not want to see:

I’ve tried to run yast.
Result: ‘bash: /sbin/yast: No such file or directory’

We want to see computer text between CODE tags (http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html) like:

henk@boven:~> /sbin/lala
bash: /sbin/lala: Bestand of map bestaat niet

complete with prompt, command and output. Then we can see what you did, where you were and more. Do not leave out things because you think they are unimportant.

As I’m a new user and English is not my first language I missed the “reply with quote” option for the first. But I tried to tell what I know. Let me copy here:

Hi
Unfortunately I don’t remember all. Some download related programs as a beginner I’ve installed more before. One of the was Uget.
Since the post I realized that actually I can log in but it is openbox (which is totally unknown for me). I also managed to log in through command line but I don’t know what to do.

And I used Yast.

I’m really sorry. Something should be bad with the system. This is the third time I reply as follows:

“Hi
Since the post I realized that actually I can log in but it is openbox (which is totally unknown for me). I also managed to log in through command line but I don’t know what to do.”

In the previous reply I also added that I uninstalled them through Yast (previously I also added this information to my first reply)

I do not know what is wrong. Otherwise I learned the link you included, thanks.

linux-0q60:/ # /sbin/yast
bash: /sbin/yast: No such file or directory

I accept that English is not you first language, but what is the problem with:

How did you remove them?

I am still waiting for an answer.

thank you for that.

It seems that you damaged your system very much. If even yast is not available anymore.

But to give us any idea about what you did, you need to describe much, much better about what you did. We do not understand one tiny bit of it.

I used YAST. I marked the ones I wanted to remove and then a clicked accept. I can not tell more. Or what exactly could i tell more about this?

Because there are many ways “to remove programs”. YaST is only one of them.

I am going to dine now. I will come back. Also others may try to help you further.

OK, but I wrote it several times. :slight_smile:
Otherwise enjoy your dinner and thanks!

It is only in Post #11 above that you answer you used YaST. But you mixed it up with so much of repeating of old text that I missed it. One simple sentence to one simple question is enough.
By the way this is not called “removing a program” but “uninstalling a package with YaST”.

Now when you can not even tell us one name of one package you uninstalled, I first and for all will give you an advice. Write down the things you are doing and only throw that piece of paper away when you are done and satisfied with the results (and even then maintaining a history of what you did somewhere is not a bad idea). Managing a computer is a precise task. You must know what you are going to do and you must know what you have done. This is not openSUSE or even Linuxx bounded, this is true for all computer managing (and many other things :slight_smile: ).

To try to get more information about yourproblem, give the output of:

which zypper
linux-0q60:/ # which zypper
which: no zypper in (/home/daniel/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/jvm/jre/bin)

Well, I do not know what you did, but you realy borked your system.

I do not know if others have different ideas (you could wait a few hours for more optimistic answers), but I would say you either:
. restore the system from your backup;
. reinstall it where you can keep your /home partition as it is (if you have a separate /home partition of coure).