Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can't login after removing some programs

Default can't login after removing some programs

hi
    after removing some programs I'm not able to login (I'm using an other computer now). I'm using opensuse 11.4
    the boot screen has changed from the normal to a grey one. before login following messages came up:

bluetoothd[1460]: input-headset driver probe failed for device D8:2A:7E:7F:4E:17
    kernel [24.446981] vboxdr: fAsync=0
    offMin=0x38a offMax=0xdc2

after entering my login data, the following messages come up:

linux-0q60 NetworkManager [1399]: <error> [1306914853.208950] [nm-manager.c: 1368] user_proxy_init(): could not init user settings proxy: (3) Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings': no such name

what should I do?
    thanks

Default Re: can't login after removing some programs

I see this is your first post here: Welcome.

That said, you must understand that it is impossible for people to help you when you do not give them the maximum amount of information possible.

What do you mean by "some programs"? Which ones? How did you remove them?
    Henk van Velden

On 06/01/2011 11:06 AM, ed 77 wrote:

> after removing some programs I'm not able to login

put back everything you took out..

--
    dd CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

Hi
    Unfortunately I don't remember all. Some download related programs as a beginner I've installed more before. One of the was Uget.
    Since the post I realized that actually I can log in but it is openbox (which is totally unknown for me). I also managed to log in through command line but I don't know what to do.

Actually I can't do it. I managed to login through openbox but I cannot use Install/uninstall.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverD View Post
    On 06/01/2011 11:06 AM, ed 77 wrote:

> after removing some programs I'm not able to login

put back everything you took out..

--
    dd CAVEAT: C A V E A T
    [NNTP via openSUSE 11.4 [2.6.37.6-0.5] + KDE 4.6.0 + Thunderbird 3.1.10]
    Dual booting with Sluggish Loser7 on Acer Aspire One D255

If you can get to the command line log in as root and run Yast.

Maybe a zypper dup would help but be sure you only have the basic 4 repositories active. That should bring you back to the default install state.

I repeat: How did you remove them? When you did using YaST or zypper there must be a loging somewher where you can see what you did.

BTW I doubt if a zypper dup will install to the default state. zypper dup wil update installed packages to a newer version when available on the repos (even if a vendor change is needed). But what is not installed will not be updated. Also there not such a thing as a defualt install state. Everybody can trim his installation during install. The only thing that may be restored imho are missing dependencies. But I doubt if the OP deinstalled braking dependencies. In fact we do not even know what he means by "removing some programs" (as you, see I am am still trying to find out what he did and he is not very helpfull in explaining).
    Henk van Velden

I've tried to run yast.
    Result: 'bash: /sbin/yast: No such file or directory'

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    If you can get to the command line log in as root and run Yast.

Maybe a zypper dup would help but be sure you only have the basic 4 repositories active. That should bring you back to the default install state.

This is my last post wen you do not answer my questions. What do you mean by "removing some programs". Even if you do not know anymore which ones, you can at least tell how/what you did. We are not clairvoyant!

And also we do not want to see:
    I've tried to run yast.
    Result: 'bash: /sbin/yast: No such file or directory'
    We want to see computer text between CODE tags (http://forums.opensuse.org/english/information-new-users/advanced-how-faq-read-only/451526-posting-code-tags-guide.html) like:
    Code:
    henk@boven:~> /sbin/lala
    bash: /sbin/lala: Bestand of map bestaat niet
    complete with prompt, command and output. Then we can see what you did, where you were and more. Do not leave out things because you think they are unimportant.
    Henk van Velden

As I'm a new user and English is not my first language I missed the "reply with quote" option for the first. But I tried to tell what I know. Let me copy here:

Hi
    Unfortunately I don't remember all. Some download related programs as a beginner I've installed more before. One of the was Uget.
    Since the post I realized that actually I can log in but it is openbox (which is totally unknown for me). I also managed to log in through command line but I don't know what to do.

And I used Yast.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I repeat: How did you remove them? When you did using YaST or zypper there must be a loging somewher where you can see what you did.

BTW I doubt if a zypper dup will install to the default state. zypper dup wil update installed packages to a newer version when available on the repos (even if a vendor change is needed). But what is not installed will not be updated. Also there not such a thing as a defualt install state. Everybody can trim his installation during install. The only thing that may be restored imho are missing dependencies. But I doubt if the OP deinstalled braking dependencies. In fact we do not even know what he means by "removing some programs" (as you, see I am am still trying to find out what he did and he is not very helpfull in explaining).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast