just a question about released version of openSUSE11.2

Hello everyone,

Sorry if I’m annoying you, I know that there was written a lot about playing .mp3 in SUSE, here’s what I’m interested in, I’m not very familiar with Linux, but I’m trying to teach, so I used released version 11.0 of suse and there, player Amarok was able to play .mp3 files without any additional configuration, now I’ve downloaded the released version 11.2 x86_64 (ISO Image), I’m using KDE desktop, so I like hearing music while reading my .pdf files, so when I’ve installed the Amarok, it even didn’t put any error message on the desktop (something like no available codec for playing this format, or something…)it just did nothing!!!

Yes, I’ve already read some threads about this and I’ve already downloaded fluendo codec pack and when I’ll go home, lets see whether it works or not, but here’s what I’m interested in, is this version still under development? or they just decided to remove non-oss codec support? Why it worked on earlier version and doesn’t work on new one?

Sorry again if I’ve bored you, I just want to be sure that I have the most resent version (as I have no internet at home for some reasons) and then read some books and try to become more experienced user in Linux.

Hiya.

First off never be sorry about asking a question (even if the question has been covered before, thing’s change quite fast in linux and sometime’s the install process changes).

Afaik OpenSuse 11.2 at least has no “proprietary” codec’s installed as standard. The non-oss repo doesn’t include the codec’s required.

I would recommend going to the OpenSuse Community Multimedia Page and having a read there to see exactly what’s needed.

Hopefully that will help you alot to understand it. If not with anyluck Oldcpu or one of the other’s that deal with the multimedia stuff can help out here if you hit any problems (Oldcpu seem’s to help a lot with the multimedia codec’s and stuff :))

I’m not sure if something in Suse changed or maybe the way Amarok worked (it’s a newer Amarok in 11.2 i think).

Well, thanks for reply and for advice,the problem is, that I’ve already read the thread on official opensuse site about restricted file formats and possible solutions. So, there was said that if I’ll install fluendo MP3 decoder, I’ll be able to play .mp3 files in either Banshee or in Amarok, I have installed all the packages related to Banshee, Amarok and also GStreamer, yesterday evening I’ve downloaded and installed this fluendo mp3 decoder for x86_64 version suse, but with no success. I’m still unable to hear my favorite music in Linux.

As for the older version I was talking about, it’s right, I was using the released version of openSUSE 11.0 x86_64 and I just marked the checkbox for installing the Amarok player and GStreamer plugins and I were happy to play my music just like in Winamp media player on my XP. maybe the problem is, that the new version of suse includes KDE version 4.0 and no more 3.5 as in older version I was using 3.5 as the v.4.0 was just under development. I don’t know, anyway it seems that I have to find another way to solve this problem, as I’m not going to convert all my mp3es into .ogg just for to be able to hear them on Linux.

There are many approches to do things in Linux, and openSUSE Linux is no exception. I do not use the fluendo codec pack method myself. There are open source free methods that one can use, which are legal in some countries and possibly not in others.

We have some guidance here that may help: Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

… again, this is not the fluendo codec pack method, but rather it uses the Packman packaged libxine1 (and its dependencies) to provide the required codecs. Then in Amarok one changes the sound engine/backend to xine.

Note Linux has limitations when it comes to multiple applications playing sound at the same time, and some care is needed there.

Specific to openSUSE, I always recommend users ONLY use 4 repositories for their software: OSS, Non-OSS, Update and Packman, and NO OTHERS. NONE. Only those 4. If more than those 4 are needed to obtain a specific application (that is not on those 4) then that extra repository can be briefly added long enough to install the needed application, and then the repositoriy should be disabled. If this sounds confusing, I have reasons that I think are valid and I can explain if need be. But in my experience, following this policy of only 4 repositories leads to the best openSUSE experience for new and average users.

Edit: I also recommend installing applications from repositories using zypper or YaST directly, and NOT using the 1 click install.

O.K. thanks again for advising, I know myself that if you are running Linux operating system + Internet you should have less problems with any software installation, my problem is that I have not internet connection at home for some time and thats why I can’t use YaST for online installation, nor command line updater tool, I’ve also downloaded 1-click installation package for KDE codec pack, but it I understand now that this is not the installation package itself, it just adds the necessary repositories and uses Internet installation. For lack of internet connectivity I’m suffering so much while trying to made my computer play MP3 files, but as it seems from your own instructions, I have to solve my connectivity problem first and ONLY after I’ll be able to solve my non-OSS proprietary codec problems. Otherwise, downloading the separate packages from those repositories at my work place, then carrying them at home and then face with dependency errors, it’s a quite bother and exhausted work. I know you guys (the Linux Gurus) don’t like even word ‘Microsoft’ but here’s what I’m trying to say, while Linux remains so complicated it could not become so popular as the Windows is, believe me. I’m computer engineer and software developer (on .NET platform) as well, I’m working at computer service center for years, I could say that I know computer both hardware and software quite well, but every time I’m trying to start learning Linux, I have got feeling of dummy, as like I’m just an ordinary ‘User’ who knows nothing but switching on and off the computer and this feeling makes me nervous. I’m not saying that Windows is perfect, it has its own a huge number of weak parts and bugs, but it still remains more user friendly and hence more popular and bestseller operating system. By the way, I want to say that for last years Ubuntu project had done a great job towards this problem, they’re making it simpler to operate with Ubuntu Linux and thats why it becomes more close for the beginner users.

sorry for going off-topic and thanks again for trying to help me.

O.K. thanks again for advising, I know myself that if you are running Linux operating system + Internet you should have less problems with any software installation, my problem is that I have not Internet connection at home for some time and thats why I can’t use YaST for online installation, nor command line updater tool, I’ve also downloaded 1-click installation package for KDE codec pack, but I understand now that this is not the installation package itself, it just adds the necessary repositories and uses Internet installation. For lack of internet connectivity I’m suffering so much while trying to made my computer play MP3 files, but now its clear for me from your own instructions, that I have to solve my connectivity problem first and ONLY after I’ll be able to solve my non-OSS proprietary codec problems. Otherwise, downloading the separate packages from those repositories at my work place, then carrying them at home and then face with dependency errors, it’s a quite bother and exhausted work.

I know you guys (the Linux Gurus) don’t like even word ‘Microsoft’ but here’s what I’m trying to say, while Linux remains so complicated it could not become so popular as the Windows is, believe me. I’m computer engineer and software developer (on .NET platform) as well, I’m working at computer service center for years, I could say that I know computer both hardware and software quite well, but every time I’m trying to start learning Linux, I have got feeling of dummy, as like I’m just an ordinary ‘User’ who knows nothing but switching on and off the computer and this feeling makes me nervous. Don’t think that I’m trying to rise the nonsense disputations about Windows VS Linux, this is stupid, I know that Unix based operating system is more stable, more reliable, more safe, faster and almost immortal due to its perfect kernel. I used to work with other Linux distributions, also with MAC OS, I have some practice of working with NetWare, so I’m not a amateur intriguant, I’m not saying that Windows is perfect, it has its own a huge number of weak parts and bugs, but it still remains more user friendly and hence more popular and bestseller operating system. By the way, I want to say that for last years Ubuntu project had done a great job towards this problem, they’re making it simpler to operate with Ubuntu Linux and thats why it becomes more close for the beginner users.

sorry for going off-topic and thanks again for trying to help me.*

No internet at home?? This is important information that would have been addressed quicker if more clear in your first post. If its there, then apologies as I missed that in my quick scan of the thread.

I recommend you read these two stickie we created to help new openSUSE users and its in our new users how-to faq area:

If you had, you would have noted this post NEW Users - Suse-11.2 multimedia recommendations which in turn refers you to this post Multimedia Pack Portable for openSUSE 11.2 - openSUSE Forums with rpms packaged for users without Internet access. … user easgs has spent some time doing this packaging to try help users like yourself.

Good luck in your efforts.

I dont’ have anything against Microsoft Windows myself. Most my friends use Microsoft Windows and they are smart people.

I just don’t use it myself.

I like to play with all sorts of software (especially multimedia) and if I were using MS-Windows, I can not afford to pay for the categories of software that I like to use. While many of my aquaintences get around that cost factor by using pirated software (and it is truely RAMPENT the amount of pirated software that is in use by MS-Windows users - I mean most of them do not think twice about using pirated software) I am trying very hard NOT to go down that path, and hence I prefer Linux for that and other reasons.

As for ease of setup, IMHO the EASIEST way to ensure Linux works is to NEVER buy any hardware which is not known to work EASILY with Linux. Note the CAPS for EASIEST and EASILY. Really !! Do not accept just any report of compatibility but ensure that it MUST be “EASY” compatibility. My two laptops (both with Intel wireless hardware) “just work” with Linux. VERY VERY VERY EASY. Their Linux drivers work better than the winXP and the Vista graphic drivers (Vista was an unmitigated disaster) and NO special configuration is needed.

But I researached first to ensure the wireless hardware I picked “just worked”.

I did the same for a DLink graphic card to run under Linux. And it also “just works” now with the a5thk wireless driver. No special configuration is needed.

But users who go for other wireless hardware, can have a painful time as not all hardware is easy. A bit of reasearch BEFORE purchase goes a LONG ways, … and I never cease to shake my head and be surprised at my fellow Linux users who simply refuse to do such checks of EASY setup/compatibility with Linux BEFORE a purchase. Really. They simply refuse to check, or they do a pathetic half-***d search. Pathetic.

I’ve always noted, that if one can show me a MacIntosh user who does not first check for MacIntosh compatibility before hardware purchase, that I will also show one an unhappy MacIntosh user.

But the same is true for MS-Windows users. Show me an MS-Windows user who does not first check for MS-Windows compatibility. Of course its EASY for MS-Windows (and also Mac users) because it is often written right on the box, but the simple fact of the matter is Linux users who ignore doing a detailed check for compatiblity may be in for a rough time.

So your comments about the unfriendliness and difficulty of Linux are duely noted, but IMHO to a large extent it is mostly self inflicted. Linux works very EASILY on a small amount of hardware, and works with difficulty on a MASSIVE amount of hardware. Pick your poison. I know what I hardware I pick.