Baires - Batch Image Resizer

Ladies and gentlemen,
I announce my 1st Qt4 application - Baires.

Baires is a program that helps you easily resize bunch of pictures from one directory and place it to the same or another, with just one click (after initial setup, of course).

With help of @microchip8, who built spec, RPMs and placed them to his repositories, I have now made an “official” download page at my site.

Baires download

Suggestions & critics are very welcome.

Anyone has any suggestions and/or ideas how to improve program?
I plan to do:

• add localization (I speak serbian and portuguese also)
  • add extensions customization (so it can do other formats, beside jpg and png)
  • add customization of resolutions (to add in combobox)

also, I’d like to hear your opinions.

(for who finds application useful

Hi
Make a gtk version :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 5 days 23:41, 4 users, load average: 0.01, 0.07, 0.07
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Oh NO!!!.. No GTK!!! :stuck_out_tongue: yucky

You just don’t want to get your hands dirty coding a GTK sub
package in the spec file… LOL! :wink:

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 6 days 0:11, 4 users, load average: 0.45, 0.52, 0.32
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

GTK is an ugly desease and can be a major pain in the ass to package. Seeing this is a very small program, it wouldn’t hurt but still I don’t like it

No GTK!
I barely managed to learn Qt in free time that I dont have.

As things are now, just one library is needed as dependency, and I tend to keep it simplest possible.

Simplicity rulez!
LOL >:)

Baires is now translated to Portuguese(BR) and Serbian.
It has new features, like saving custom resolutions, file type selection and abortion of process.

Worth checking out, if you didnt already.

Nice program there :good:
How do you do the resizing? I’d recommend to use a high-quality Lanczos algorithm (if you don’t do that already).
Looks like it only supports .jpg - it would be better if you at least added support for .png and .gif as well.
Also, adding a 64-bit version would be a good idea.

Couldn’t agree more.

It supports jpg, tif, png and bmp
(newest version, at least).

I don’t do any special algorythm, I use default for the QImage component. I will look into it.

I also, need translators for other languages if someone wish to…

I tried to download http://www.beli.ws/apps/baires/baires.tar.gz and got a 404 Not Found ???

Now works for sure.

Anyways, besides some bugfix, Baires now supports german language too. Thanks to Thomas.

Hi,

I’ve translated it to Hungarian, you can download it from here.

Regards,
Andras Dosztal

I need also help html file I sent you in your mail, if you please, to make it complete.

thanks!

I made my 1st screencast ever, and youtube managed to screw it up… I admit I havent changed xvidcap settings… but looked so nice locally…

anyways…

screencast is about Baires - usage.

here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXXAz1lUjzM)

[QUOTE=beli0135;2152198]I made my 1st screencast ever, and youtube managed to screw it up… I admit I havent changed xvidcap settings… but looked so nice locally…

anyways…

screencast is about Baires - usage.

here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Thanks nice demo with xvid … its wonderful when a developer creates such a video. THANK-YOU very much !!

Glad you like it.
Also, glad to see someone is actually using Baires, except me & my wife.

lolz

That’s pretty good for a start. I like it is made as one simple
dialog and that it uses the size as a bounding box and normally preserves aspect ratio and EXIF orientation. Well done!

You do have a bug though. When I tried upsizing, the aspect ratio was not kept and images were distorted to fill the specified size.

One option you might add is an option ‘downscale only’. This is common of batch resizing programs because you may have a directory full of different sized images, sometimes including tiny thumbnails, and resizing then to a higher resolution is mostly useless.

There also seems to be an abitrary limit that I could not enter more than 6000 on width and height, that gives a 20" print @ 300 DPI which is OK but it won’t do if I want to resize to poster size 24"x36" for example.

I normally do the same with a short shell script but I think many people would enjoy have a UI version like yours. My script outputs multiple resolutions at once. I guess that would be an advanced feature but is useful since you may want to make a 24"x16" gallery print and 4"x6" to give as postcards to those who show up :slight_smile:

Let me (idanan@neocamera.com) know when you feel the app is stable and without any known bugs and I’ll put a post about it on blog.neocamera.com if you would like.

Keep it up!

• Itai

Very good suggestions.
I will see what I can do.

@idanan

I have considered your suggestions and did some coding:

• Upsize aspect bug fixed
  • “Downsize only” feature added
  • “Force aspect ration” on custom sizes added

I have analyzed suggestion for multiple sizes but I have ruled it out. I would need to implement “Profiles” scheme, so Baires wouldn’t be simple anymore. That is why I decided not to implement it, but maybe in some other program, like “Baires-pro” I may recode everything.

Now, I am just waiting for translation of those 2 checkboxes and I will send it to Microchip 8 to be built.