Dolphin Super User broken

Dolphin as a super user doesn’t appear to work.
Click on the icon as a user to launch Dolphin as a super user > pop in my password ? Dolphin launches but no icons presetn > wait about one min and the icons appear > click an icon and wait another 90 seconds to be taken into the file I want to enter.

Dolphin as superuser was broken in KDE 4.2 but was supposed to have been fixed in 4.3.
Did the fix not make it?

if I invoke Dolphin from a root terminal Dolphin as superuser works fine.

Problem appears to be only when launching from Dolphin Superuser shortcut in kicker.

Did you upgrade? possible you need to undo any settings in ~/.kde4. try renaming .kde4 in you home then restart this should star off with clean settings.

no upgrade - clean fresh install

Well regarding that try to delete the corresponding config ans share directories in /root/

This is where the settings are.

So delete

/root/.kde4/share/apps/dolphin <<---- FOLDER
/root/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc <<---- FILE

Besides it works just fine in my case.

Do you have any additional repositories?
If yes then could you post output of

zypper lr -d

Thanks - but removing that directory & file didn’t seem to make any difference.
Deleted in a terminal then started up Dolphin as super user and still a while to load and any change between directories taking an awfully long time.

Here is the output of
zypper lr -d

# | Alias                               | Name                            | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type   | URI                                                                           | Service
--+-------------------------------------+---------------------------------+---------+---------+----------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------
1 | KDE:KDE4:Community                  | KDE:KDE4:Community              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2/ |
2 | download.opensuse.org-mozilla       | openSUSE BuildService - Mozilla | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_11.2/              |
3 | ftp.skynet.be-suse                  | Packman Repository              | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.2/                                   |
4 | http-download.opensuse.org-b7e07fb1 | Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0     | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | rpm-md | http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.2/                                     |
5 | openSUSE 11.2-0                     | openSUSE 11.2-0                 | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | dvd:///                                                                       |
6 | repo-non-oss                        | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss           | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss/                  |
7 | repo-oss                            | openSUSE-11.2-Oss               | Yes     | Yes     |   99     | yast2  | http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.2/repo/oss/                      |

I was finally able to change a file by using the following command as su in the terminal:

dbus-launch dolphin

Don’t ask me what this does and why it works, I am not knowledgeable enough. Opening konqueror in the terminal window did not work either.

I get some strange messages in the terminal window though:

jim@linux-abtl:~> su
Passwort:
linux-abtl:/home/XXXX # dbus-launch dolphin
kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running…
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
linux-abtl:/home/office20 # kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_trash.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_file.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
<unknown program name>(5189)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating: “linux-abtl;1258451677;286254;5189_TIME0” : “unnamed app”
kbuildsycoca4 running…
kDebugStream called after destruction (from void KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry(KDirWatch*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*, KDirWatchPrivate::Entry*) file /usr/src/packages/BUILD/kdelibs-4.3.1/kio/kio/kdirwatch.cpp line 901)
Cancelled INotify (fd 10, 1) for “/root/.local/share”

Hmm, have you ever tried running dolphin by typing in krunner

kdesu dolphin??

I remember dolphin never worked if invoked simply from a terminal with su privileges.

Here’s mine, looking at it from KDE Menu Editor.

General
Name: File Manager - Super User Mode
Description:
Comment:
Command: dbus-launch dolphin %i -caption “%c” “%u”
Enable Launch Feedback is checked

Under advanced, it has a check by Run As A Different User, but nothing in the box.

I tried but get the following messages only:
(please be aware, I am a user only and quite new to linux)

krunner

<unknown program name>(11114)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: “Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.”

kdesu dolphin
<unknown program name>(11117)/: KUniqueApplication: Cannot find the D-Bus session server: “Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.”

<unknown program name>(11116)/: KUniqueApplication: Pipe closed unexpectedly.

Hmmm, could you post the output of

/etc/init.d/dbus status?

If it is not running then we have a culprit otherwise i have no freakin idea what could it be as few people or even no one else has those.

It does show status as “running”

/etc/init.d/dbus status

Checking for service D-Bus daemon running

for your info, I have done a fresh install via DVD, no update

I have no problem invoking Dolphin from a terminal with root privledges.
The only problme is if invoked from Kickoff

Is this for swissinvestor or me?
There seems to be some confusion going on here as the thread has been hijacked with a seperate issue.

In case this was for me . . . yes, Dbus is running

This is from the kicker shortcut

command > dbus-launch dolphin %i -caption “%c” “%u”
run as a different user is checked.

again - I I load terminal - super user mode and simply launch wiht the command “Dolphin” everything works fine - so what is it in the shortcut that is screwing things up?

BUT you shouldn’t start dolphin from terminal for christ sake, there is a command kdesu dolphin to run as a super user. You just press Alt+F2 (that’s krunner) and type kdesu dolphin .

then you put your password and all should be fine.

Alt+F2 works for lot more than that naturally and you can run any application, commands etc. from there.

Well well, I had no clue about Alt F2. Sorry I am a bit windows polluted and at the very beginning of my learning curve.

However, trying Alt F2 results in the same, it does not work:

e.g. Dolphin does start normally, but I cannot change a file:

KDEInit kann „/usr/bin/kwrite“ nicht starten. (I have the german version, “kann nicht starten means” “cannot start”

PS to Farcusnz, sorry that it appears that I hijacked this thread, I was truly of the impression we talk about the same subject?

Ahaaaaa, you want to open something with kwrite while using Dolphin as a super user, it doesn’t work like that my friend, and sorry for my bad temper from my last post. If you want to edit something as a super user just type kdesu kwrite :slight_smile: And also i recommend kate instead of kwrite :slight_smile:

It doesn’t start and it is a good thing from a security stand point as finding a hole in dolphin and then leverage it to start another application as super user would definitely make the system insecure :slight_smile:

it may be I shouldn’t run it from a super user terminal - but at the moment that is the only way it is usable.
Unfortunately Alt+F2 then kdesu dolphin
I have the same problem as lunching from the kicker shortcut - unresponsive

probably worth mentioning here - as I haven’t mentioned it before

kdesu konqueror

works just fine - konqueror can be used to browse files as super user without problem so the issue is specific to Dolphin.

I have submitted a bug report so we’ll see how things go from there.