Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson Perfection 1670

Default Epson Perfection 1670

Using opensuse 11.1 kooka didn't detect the scanner 1670 if I login as normal user. If I am root kooka finds the scanner and works fine.

Where is the problem?

herhin

Blog Entries

Default Re: Epson Perfection 1670

Quote Originally Posted by herhin View Post
    Using opensuse 11.1 kooka didn't detect the scanner 1670 if I login as normal user. If I am root kooka finds the scanner and works fine.

Where is the problem?
    I encountered a permissions issue on the scanner functionality in my mothers all-in-one-PC under openSUSE-11.1. The thread was here:
    HP all-in-one Deskjet F4280 - openSUSE Forums

My specific post here:
    openSUSE Forums - View Single Post - HP all-in-one Deskjet F4280

By adding the regular users to group "lp" I was able to scan successfully with kooka under KDE-3.5.10 on openSUSE-11.1.

Note if you add your regular user to group "lp", you probably should restart (or completely log out of your desktop and log out of Linux - probably quicker to restart).

Blog Entries

Is it only for multifunction machines, or primarily Epson machines?
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

As you suggested I added the group ls and even root to the user but with no effect.

This is what sane-find-scanner reports if I am normal user:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ccd, product=0x0038) at libusb:004:005
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8, product=0x011f) at libusb:004:002
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

and this if I am root:

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0ccd [TerraTec GmbH], product=0x0038 [Cinergy T2]) at libusb:004:005
    found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x011f [EPSON Scanner]) at libusb:004:002
    # Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
    # SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

KDE is 4.1.3

herhin

Blog Entries

Is there a way to determine the /dev/ location of the device?

For example, whenever I first go to do DV editing on my system I have to plug in the camcorder and then chmod the /dev/raw1394 in order to access it.
    Code:
    chmod 777 /dev/raw1394
    After that, then the camcorder is fully accessible.
    "Linux provides freedom, problem is most users don't know what it is or how to use it." ~me
    Friends don't let Friends wear red shirts on away parties!
    Linux User #477531 | Danbury Area Computer Society (www.dacs.org)

Blog Entries

As you suggested I added the group ls and even root to the user but with no effect.
    You did restart afterward, to ensure the new user permissions were fully applied?

This could be a KDE-4.1.3 bug. It may be worth your while to spend some time surfing on this anomalous behaviour to see if it is KDE specific.

herhin
    Group lp, not ls

My investigations about this topic give the following results:

1. Using lshal I found the device name as /dev/bus/usb/004/002. Changing the permission with root by chmod 666 002, running kooka as user starts the scanner.
    2. After Restart and login as user: The scanner didn't start. Checking the permission of /dev/bus/usb/004/002 showed 644.
    Searching for the device name by lshal shows another link within /dev/bus/usb/xxx/xxx, so it would be necessary to make the changes after each start of the system, which would be very bad.

So what to do???

I didn't have this problem with 11.0.

herhin

Blog Entries

Have a look at /etc/udev/rules.d for the scanner rules. I'm running openSUSE 11.0, so there may be differences, but I have 55-libsane.rules containing a list of supported scanners. The scanner attributes are listed along with 'lp' group assigned and permission settings. I also have a rule specifically for my Epson CX5500 called 70-libsane.rules:

SYSFS{idVendor}=="04b8", SYSFS{idProduct}=="083f", MODE="664", GROUP="users"
    You can see, that this rule has 'users' group assigned, but I could easily change this, and the permissions if I desired. You could create a custom rule for your device incorporating the desired permissions, and group. Name it something like 95-myscanner.rules to make sure it gets processed last.

Hi deano_ferrari,

your reply gives the solution!! Thank you!
    I checked the file 55-libsane.rules and compared it with the 11.0-version. Curious enough, in 11.1 the rule for the 1670 is commented out. Why??? The GROUP is lp, which I added to the user before. Removing the #, trying kooka as user, heureka it works!

herhin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast