Thread: 11.1 GUI and Start Menu

Default 11.1 GUI and Start Menu

A two part question really,: 1. Swear I read some where how to revert to a previous start menu (as the new one is just "too big")-> How do I do this? 2. Is there any way to use a previous GUI, like that from 3.4.3? With this new one I feel like I'm in kindergarden wearing mittens and playing with plasticine and safety scissors. Not to mention the utility of it is so much more convoluted I can only describe it as office counter-productivity. Please tell me it is so.

I would be doing a fresh clean install.
    Also tried 3.5 GUI but just not what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by HPart; 18-Feb-2009 at 07:28. Reason: Clarity

Default Re: 11.1 GUI and Start Menu

Right-clicking on the start icon allows you to choose the KDE menu or openSUSE menu.

In addition, you can right-click on the panel's properties to change the height and width.
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.15.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti

Ahh, that's good!
    Shall try it shortly, ty Romanator.

Was about to ask another question, I'll throw it in here:

KDE 3.5 closer to 4.x or 3.4.3 Level "b"?

Reason I ask is I first tried openSuse 11.1 with KDE 4, then not liking it tried Gnome,
    well that was a bit too primitive looking for me (though I liked the utility of it).
    So then installed again, all partitions the same, with KDE 3.5.

WhatI got looked like a mix of Gnome and the new KDE.

Is this right or did somehow the two get mixed together? (there was even a Gnome shortcut in the start menu, believe it was link to "about" or "Gnome help"

Thanks again!

KDE 3.5 and KDE 3.4.3 "Level b" are the same thing. However, KDE 4 is a complete rewrite of the KDE window manager.

If you would like to see a mix of KDE 3.5 with KDE 4, install the following package:

qtcurve-kde4

This will add additional styles such as qtcurve, kleanlooks etc.

Also, after installing KDE4, you can download the Factory update for KDE 4.2. This is the one that I am using.

Good Luck!
    My Linux Box
    openSUSE 42.3 - Plasma 5.8.7
    Tumbleweed Plasma 5.15.4
    ASUS P5Q | Intel Quad 6600 @3.02 GHz | 8GB G.SKILL RAM | Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti