Problem with mozilla-xulrunner181 on a 11.0

I’m having a little bit of an annoying problem with my openSUSE 11.0 (and gnome). Every time I reboot it I get warning about an important security update, which is this mozilla-xulrunner181 patch. But when I click to install it nothing happens. Going through the motions with zypper results in :

andri@virgil:~$ sudo zypper ve
Reading installed packages…
Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.
andri@virgil:~$ sudo zypper lu
Patches

Repository | Name | Version | Category | Status
----------------------±---------------------±--------±---------±------
openSUSE-11.0-Updates | mozilla-xulrunner181 | 329 | security | Needed
andri@virgil:~$ sudo zypper lu -t package
No updates found.
andri@virgil:~$ sudo zypper up

The following NEW patch is going to be installed:
mozilla-xulrunner181

No additional space will be used or freed after the operation.
Continue? [YES/no]:
andri@virgil:~$ sudo zypper in mozilla-xulrunner181
‘mozilla-xulrunner181’ is already installed.
Nothing to do.

Somehow it seems to be impossible for me to get rid of this. I have tried every permutation I can think of downgrading packages in the hope that somehow the situation will fix itself, but with no luck so far.

Thanks,
Andri

P.S.
andri@virgil:~$ rpm -qa | grep mozilla
mozilla-xulrunner190-gnomevfs-1.9.0.5-2.2
mozilla-nspr-4.7.2-1.1
mozilla-nss-3.12.2-2.1
mozilla-xulrunner190-1.9.0.5-2.2
mozilla-xulrunner181-1.8.1.19-1.2

Exactly the same issue has been bugging me for quite a while now. I was hoping it would sooner or later ‘resolve itself’ but no luck so far.

Apart from the fact that I’m using 11.0/KDE3 I can 100% reproduce what you’re describing.

Hoping for some enlightening ideas…

Add another to the list seeing this same annoyance.

I am a gnome desktop user running OpenSuse 11.0 64-bit

Same problem is with me too.
I’m using a gnome desktop of OpenSUSE11 32-bit.

I have the same but slightly different where it shows there are 2 security fixes named the same but different version

openSUSE-11.0-Updates | mozilla-xulrunner181 | 383 | security | Needed

The check whether a mozilla-xulrunner181 patch is installed shows that it is not installed at all.

i have the exact same problem

Try installing it manually from yast software update. This fixed similar problems for me.

Tried the yast update but same result.

Same problem for me, tried manual, tried deinstall then reinstall, no luck, the problem is still here.
One more thing, are any of you having sound problems? I am. If the update starts I dont have any sound unless I do su -c ‘rcalsasound restart’. I was wondering if it’s songbird related (I’ve installed it at the same time the update came). I’ve been searching through the forum, there are people with xulrunner issues, but no one said anything about the sound.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanx

BTW it’s gnome on openSUSE 11.0:
uname -a:
Linux xxxxxxxx 2.6.25.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-10-21 16:30:26 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hello,
Same here, running KDE 3.5.10.

Amarok is happily playing when I do the update.

I also tried to uninstall but strangely enough it then wants to install seamonkey at the same time. Canceling the install and doing reinstall didn’t help as well.

Do you have one or also 2 patches visible when you run the zypper lu command

uname -a
Linux scan64-4400 2.6.25.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-10-21 16:30:26 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2 patches, this is what i get with zypper lu:

Patches

Repository | Name | Version | Category | Status
----------------------±---------------------±--------±---------±------
openSUSE-11.0-Updates | mozilla-xulrunner181 | 383 | security | Needed

BTW, I believe that seamonkey is also based on xulrunner and I think when i reinstalled xullrunner it also reinstalled seamonkey. So IT might be the problem? I’ll try removing it and tell you what happens…

Something must be wrong with either the rpm database or maybe the registration of the package since below gives different results.

zypper up mozilla-xulrunner181

Package ‘mozilla-xulrunner181’ is not installed.
Nothing to do.

zypper in mozilla-xulrunner181

‘mozilla-xulrunner181’ is already installed.
Nothing to do.

I tried removing seamonkey, nothing changed, it still tries to update. Zypper up and in gives the same results for me too. I’m somewhat new to linux, but could there be a problem with zypper? In “Install software” it found TWICE in the last 2 days updates to a few games (itris, xlogical, etc), pidgin and few other things too (SDL mixer, etc). Isn’t that a bit too much? Maybe the packages aren’t updating?

This is not a real fix, but at least the annoying security update warning disappears. I downgraded all packages which included “mozilla” in the name to the highest version number in the openSUSE-11.0/Updates repository and disabled the Mozilla repository. There must be some sort of a mismatch between the two repository?

Another question is why this mozilla-xulrunner is so deeply embedded into to gnome framework? To me it seems a little strange that removing it disables quite a few gnome applets.

andri@virgil:~$ zypper se -i mozilla

S | Name | Summary | Type
–±------------------------------±--------------------------------------------±-------
i | MozillaFirefox | Mozilla Firefox Web Browser | package
i | mozilla-nspr | Netscape Portable Runtime | package
i | mozilla-nss | Network (Netscape) Security Services | package
i | mozilla-xulrunner181 | Mozilla Runtime Environment 1.8.1.x | package
i | mozilla-xulrunner190 | Mozilla Runtime Environment 1.9 | package
i | mozilla-xulrunner190-gnomevfs | XULRunner components depending on gnome-vfs | package
andri@virgil:~$
andri@virgil:~$ zypper lr

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh

—±--------------------------------------------------------------------------±----------------------------------------±--------±-------
1 | Education | Education | Yes | Yes
2 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/Community/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:Community | Yes | Yes
3 | http://download.nvidia.com/opensuse/11.0 | NVIDIA Repository | Yes | Yes
4 | openSUSE:11.0:NonFree | openSUSE:11.0:NonFree | Yes | Yes
5 | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | openSUSE-11.0-Updates | Yes | Yes
6 | Perl | Perl | Yes | Yes
7 | Packman Repository | Packman Repository | Yes | Yes
8 | Index of /repositories/GNOME:/STABLE/openSUSE_11.0 | openSUSE BuildService - GNOME:STABLE | Yes | Yes
9 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/oss | Main Repository (OSS) | Yes | Yes
10 | Index of /distribution/11.0/repo/non-oss | Main Repository (NON-OSS) | Yes | Yes
11 | Science | Science | Yes | Yes
12 | Banshee | Banshee | Yes | Yes
13 | Application:Geo | Application:Geo | Yes | Yes
14 | Mozilla | Mozilla | No | Yes

I’ve been reading a bit about xulrunner (I don’t have much time lately) This is from wiki:

Uses

All XUL-based applications like Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Songbird, Flickr Uploader, SeaMonkey, Conkeror, Sunbird, Miro, Joost, Instantbird and TomTom Home 2.0 will be able to run on XULRunner.
The new installment of the computer game series Simon the Sorcerer, Simon the Sorcerer 4: Chaos Happens, uses XULrunner.
The eMusic web site has a download application called eMusic Remote that uses XULRunner.
Google Adwords editor uses XULRunner.[2]

Benefits and rationale

Benefits of having a separate shared run-time environment are the same as those with shared libraries. Benefits to developers and source-based systems – that is, systems on which programs are compiled from source as opposed to downloaded in binary form – are decreased compilation time, less bandwidth needs and less storage space needed. Benefits for use on binary-based systems are similarly less bandwidth and storage use.

Less storage space and, in the case of running multiple XUL-based applications at once, less memory use only apply when the system uses more than one application that depends on the run-time environment. If either the run-time environment or the application are updated separately at different times, which is more likely in the case that it is widely used for software other than that written by Mozilla, then this would be more commonplace. In the case of source-based systems, developers using common code would not have to include said code in distributed packages.

Additionally in the case of XULRunner, being a markup and interpreted or possibly in the future “just-in-time” pre-compiled script run-time environment, developers may not need to compile any source code into object code (binary) at all for their applications that solely use markup and script languages.

Possible problems with using a common run-time environment include applications that are written using features of one version of the run-time environment that are not included (perhaps due to obsolescence), and replaced with different functionality, which would result in “dependency hell” – a technical jargon term for dependencies on specific versions. This may be avoided by making systems able to install multiple versions of XULRunner and allowing developers to use a specific version at run-time, or by providing compatibility layers. This is not a problem with dependent software that is continually updated and rewritten…

I guess it’s probably due to less memory and disk space usage, and as a replacement for gecko.
I’ll try to dissable the Mozilla repo and see what happens…Does this qualify as a bug, and if so, a bug of what :slight_smile: xulrunner, openSUSE, some app???
I’m not even that anoyed anymore, it just runs in the taskbar all the time, and when i need the package manager I just kill it (one more linux benefit :))

Yeah.
In one of my machines I’m using OS11 but I use Fisiu’s Repository and I don’t have that problem.
He has a patched version of xulrunner that fixes the horrible way that mozilla fonts look.

Try it, it’s worth it!! Just add his repo with Yast and update your packages :slight_smile:

Good luck

Luis

I have now solved this on my system but this might not be ideal for everyone. There was only one dependency on xulrunner181 which was Vuze. A manual start of Vuze showed that it was running using xulrunner190 already so I removed the dependency check and have uninstalled xulrunner181 from my system. So far no issues after 48 hrs.

dutchguy69 wrote:

>
> I have now solved this on my system but this might not be ideal for
> everyone. There was only one dependency on xulrunner181 which was Vuze.
> A manual start of Vuze showed that it was running using xulrunner190
> already so I removed the dependency check and have uninstalled
> xulrunner181 from my system. So far no issues after 48 hrs.

My machines have all run for about a month w/o xulrunner181 so I think you
are good to go. Turns out it got installed when, for some strange reason,
seamonkey found its’ way on to the machine.

Will Honea

I don’t see how, for me if I try to remove it it says that deluge (torrent client, which I really like btw), python gnome extras and gnome appletts depend on it. I kinda like my gnome applets and deluge is very good (best torrent client I found). Don’t gnome applets depend on xulrunner 181 on your machine too?
BTW I removed seamonkey too (i think it’s there by default???)