How to configure wireless network?

Hello,

I am new to Linux. I would like to configure wireless network in Opensuse 11 which i just installed.

I need some pointers on how to setup wireless network.

Network is working fine in my windows xp machine which very easy to set up.

I came across iwconfig, is there any gui tools for making the configuration easy?

Thanks.
Sundar

You need to install the drivers and configure the network interface in Yast. The form of drivers depends on which card you’ve got. What is it?

Also return here please the response you get to these two console commands:

sudo /sbin/lspci | grep thernet
sudo /sbin/lspci -n

While you’re gathering that information, have a read of this tutorial too to get some further ideas:
Madwifi or Ndiswrapper Wireless Network Drivers - Suse/openSUSE 10, 11 - LAN & Internet access

linux-nzxx:/etc/wpa_supplicant # sudo /sbin/lspci | grep thernet
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
linux-nzxx:/etc/wpa_supplicant # sudo /sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)
0a:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
0a:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
0a:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
0a:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
0a:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
0a:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

Thanks a lot for the links. I am exploring and I have attached the command output above. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sundar

Seems you need to install the package iwl3945-ucode (from Yast → Software → Software Management)

Reference:
Novell: openSUSE 11.0: iwl3945-ucode

Thank you.

After installing the iwl3945-ucode-2.14.1.5-50.1.noarch.rpm what should I do next?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Sundar

Configure the card in Yast → network devices → network settings

After configuring Yast → network devices → network settings, When I click finish It propmpts for OpenSuse installation disk 1. When I inserted the installtion DVD it did not accept it.

I now have a wired internet connection which is working fine. I would like to configure wireless still.

In Yast –> software –> software repositories, disable the cdrom-repository. make sure these are enabled:

• openSUSE oss
  • Main Repository non oss
  • Packman
  • Updates for 11

Whatever’s missing can be added (I think) by clicking “Add” –> Community Repositories –> Next –> Tick the ones I mentioned –> Next etc

Then configure the card in Yast again and the DVD problem should be gone away.

Sundar:

I found an easier way to configure the wireless network.

1. Right-click on the device icon, which can be found on the bottom right corner of the screen.

2. Hover the mouse over the “New Connection” and then click to select “wlan0.” The system will open the Connections dialog.

3. Click to select your Essid (network router) from a list of available router, and then click “Next”

4. Select your router security setting. The default setting is WPA Personal.

5. Type in your shared key of your network router.

6. Click “Connect & Save.”

The system will create a new connection and make it the default connection. If you enter everything correctly, your wireless network connection should be working.

Run the Firefox browser to verify your connection.

Good Luck! :slight_smile:

David

i didnt find any iwl3945-ucode

That is for 11.0, which is the past…the repos no longer support 11.0
I suggest you download and install 11.3, which AFAIK supports your card, with the addition of this repo:
Index of /repositories/driver:/wireless/11.3-update

Mind, you need to update 11.3 first, whilst on wired connection, then add the repo, then install the iwl3945 package

If on KDE4 you may as well want to replace Networkmanager-kde4 by plasmoid-networkmanagement. Makes connecting easier to some people, interfacewise.

i didnt find any iwl3945-ucode

Took a look in the ‘discontinued’ repos at ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/opensuse, packages are not there. So either you upgrade, or you’d have to find the sources and compile the driver ‘by hand’.

i already use 11.3…i am new to this plz help

Here’s a direct link to the file you need. http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/driver:/wireless/11.3-update/noarch/iwl3945-ucode-2.14.1.5-7.1.noarch.rpm
The problem with installing it directly is that it won’t update automatically. It’s better to add the repository and then add the package through yast.

Here’s the wireless repo, as they gave it to you before.
Index of /repositories/driver:/wireless/11.3-update

Hi all ¡¡ I’ve installed openSuse 12.1 M5 in Acer netbook AO-D257 (two cores at 1.66 Ghz). the problem is the same than some month ago with other netbook: the OS can’t recognize my wireless card. In LAN it work fine. The card is broadcom BCM94313HMG2L in a kernel 3.0. so Installed Ubuntu 11.04; W7 and now OpenSuse 12.1 M5
Please, some help is wellcome.

On 09/12/2011 05:06 PM, EsteBandido2010 wrote:
>
> Hi all ¡¡ I’ve installed openSuse 12.1 M5

since 12.1 is pre-release software, i want to be the first to thank you
for your interest in helping to test openSUSE…

software testers with problems running milestone releases can learn more
about testing pre-release openSUSE by visiting the wiki’s Testing page
<http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Testing>, where is
found info on the openSUSE testing and development process as well as
pointers on logging bugs…

if uncertain an encountered problem is a bug: discuss that with other
testers in the forum set aside specifically for that purpose
<http://tinyurl.com/2du7r4s>, or by subscribing to the
openSUSE-Factory mailing list or joining the #openSUSE-Factory channel
on Freenode, info on those two means here
<http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Communication_channels>

but, in no case is it correct for milestone/beta problems to be
discussed in this forum…

again, thanks for testing…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

On 09/12/2011 06:16 PM, DenverD wrote:

> again, thanks for testing…

sorry, i just noticed this is one of your first posts here…maybe you
would be best off to look in the three stickies at the top of this
forum…where you will find lots of really good help on how to get a
wireless going…but, if you can’t figure it out there then probably
are not yet ready to be installing pre-release software for
testing…strongly suggest you install 11.4 for now, and then there are
some folks here who can help you in this forum…

and, welcome new poster…

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

@DenverD.
>sorry, i just noticed this is one of your first posts here…

Thankyou for your quickly answer, but some months ago i has the same issue in Asus netbook, but was posted in spanish forum of opensuse. pls if i can’t express correctly english, i’m leanning too. And this site is the best than i founded for opensuse. Yes, you are right i migh change to 11.4 release but now i’ll attemp compile the driver than in Ubuntu and is the same BCM4313. I’m trying this first and the other solution untill november when the final release are ready for the 12.1