Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox Guest Additions in openSuse 11

JawsThemeSwimming428 NNTP User

Default Virtualbox Guest Additions in openSuse 11

I am very new to openSuse and I am trying to get it running in VirtualBox with a Windows Vista host (bleh). Well, I installed it and everything seemed to go smooth. However, when I tried to install the Guest Additions I get the following message:

linux-u8j8:/media/VBOXADDITIONS_1.5.4_27034 # sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing VirtualBox 1.5.4 Guest Additions for Linux installation.................................................................................................................................................
    VirtualBox 1.5.4 Guest Additions installation
    Building a test kernel module failed. See the log file /var/log/vboxadd-install.log
    for more details.
    Problems were found which would prevent the Guest Additions from installing.
    Please correct these problems and try again.

At first I was getting an error saying that I didn't have make and some other packages installed so I followed the guide at this website (Installing VirtualBox guest additions in OpenSuse James Selvakumar’s Blog) and it got past that error but now I get the one mentioned above. What should I do?

Default Re: Virtualbox Guest Additions in openSuse 11

Building a test kernel module failed. See the log file /var/log/vboxadd-install.log for more details.
    From that, I am guessing that you do not have the kernel headers installed for the linux you have installed on that virtual machine.
    Use yast:
    yast--->software--->software management

When the panel containing the search box comes up, enter "kernel-headers" [without the quotes] and click on "search"

If the entry that is found is not selected, the select it and click "accept"

Blog Entries

If I read correctly
    Suse is the GUEST
    Vista is the host

by default with suse I always add at install
    make
    gcc
    gcc-c++
    kernel-source
    kernel-syms

now try
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try when I get home tomorrow.

Checked both, installed what was missing and it still didn't work. Thought maybe I needed to reboot but I am still getting the same message. What next?

Blog Entries

Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

dm6257 NNTP User

I had the same problem when I followed the directions you referenced. When I installed kernel-source and kernel-syms using the YaST package selection GUI.( I selected Patterns at the bottom, found Linux Kernel Development and selected kernel-source and kernel-syms and installed them.) When I executed ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run as root, it worked. I also couldn't install just the headers as I did with Ubuntu and had to load the entire 254Mb package. But all's well...

pcs_radio NNTP User

Make sure you have the same kernel as you do kernel sources. sudo zypper dist-upgrade

Had the same issue with vmware once after a kernel upgrade. The problem was the instruction to install kernel-headers, which as I understand are not the "full" headers the compiler needs. I had to install kernel-headers, a much larger download. No problems with Vbox OSE/OS11 with standard (DVD release) kernel.

I have HOST=winxp GUEST=SUSE11.0. i added OBS VirtualBox for latest in GUEST-TOOLS. I am still not getting seamless mode, and fluid mouse (where you DO NOT have to press CTRL). HOST=Winxp has Virtualbox 2.0.0 and SUSE guest-tools is 2.0.2. I would prefer not to install vboxadditions.sh from SUN. Ought not the suse one's to work?? If not, what's the point of them being there?
    thanks
    NVIDIA! Listen to your customers! We want Free drivers.
    Petition #1. Petition #2. Use your VOICE! Sign the petitions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast