Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Atheros Networking with latest packages

Exclamation Atheros Networking with latest packages

I have normally had problems (also in 10.3) with SuSE not properly detecting my wireless card, so I've become used to it. But I'm stuck this time when it comes to a solution. Normally madwifi is the quick fix, a single update and then it's working. But no such luck this time around:
    I am unable to install the madwifi kernel modules because of a missing dependency; this error dialog pops up:

nothing provides kernel(vmlinux) = 18d57d8dd4787c30

I googled in search of a solution, but haven't found anything of substance.

All my packages are updated except for the newest KDE4 packages, as I'm trying to pick and choose which ones to break in order to get them all installed. If it helps, I'm running 64-bit...

The other route I've already tried is ndiswrapper with ndisinstaller. I downloaded the Atheros WLAN drivers for XP and Vista from Fujitsu (my laptop is an A6110), but only found .inf files that ndisinstaller refused to install.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Atheros Networking with latest packages

Quote Originally Posted by frosch62 View Post
    I am unable to install the madwifi kernel modules because of a missing dependency; this error dialog pops up:
    nothing provides kernel(vmlinux) = 18d57d8dd4787c30
    Its possible you downloaded the wrong madwifi for your kernel. Can you provide the output of:
    uname -a

... also point to where you are getting the madwifi kernel modules rpm from ...

Also, per this thread/post:
    Installed Files - openSUSE Forums
    you could try to learn more about the dependency. ... ie if your madwifi rpm is called "madwifi-someversion-somekernel-somearch.rpm", then type:
    rpm -qpR madwifi-someversion-somekernel-somearch.rpm
    and use that to try help you figure out EXACTLY what is causing the dependency hiccup

Here is the output of uname -a (minus my box name):

2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The listed installed madwifi from the "rpm -qa --last > installed-applications.txt" command is:

madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1

Obviously, you were correct. They don't match.

The output of the last command was an error; maybe because the package didn't install correctly; also tried with .rpm ending but it made no difference...

rpm -qpR madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1
    error: open of madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1 failed: No such file or directory
    error: open of madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1 failed: No such file or directory

Does this help?

Blog Entries

Here is the output of uname -a (minus my box name):
    2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ....

The listed installed madwifi from the "rpm -qa --last > installed-applications.txt" command is:
    madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1
    Obviously, you were correct. They don't match.
    I think that is the problem.

The output of the last command was an error; maybe because the package didn't install correctly; also tried with .rpm ending but it made no difference...
    rpm -qpR madwifi-kmp-default-r3698+AR5007EG_2.6.25.4_8.2-2.1
    That is because the command "rpm -qpR" is to be run against an rpm file (ie rpm -qpR some-rpm-file.rpm"). IF you wish to do the same and query the rpm database for an rpm that is installed, then the command to use is: "rpm -qR some-installed-rpm". I hope that clarifies the use.

Does this help?
    It looks to me that the kernel version differences are causing this problem. I think you need to find a madwifi version that is compatible with your kernel.

Instead of fighting with NATIVE wifi-driver,
    I'd suggest using 'ndiswrapper' (i.e. the Windows-driver).

[I had mad-wifi issues in 11.0, even after building
    the CORRECT mad-wifi driver, and won the battle using
    ndiswrapper.]

[If you've never used ndiswrapper before, there's a
    bit of learning curve, but it takes less 'software engineering'
    skills than fighting source-kernel-build issues, in my
    experience.]

My 2-cents...

Dave

Hi

using *src.rpm of madwifi rebuild package

Code:
    rpmbuild --rebuild [ package name ]
    if using madwifi driver blacklist ath5k z.B.

Code:
    echo "blacklist ath5k" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
    Have Fun :-)
    HP Pavilion dv2899eg MTV-Edition openSuse 10.3 KDE 3.5.9 Kernel-2.6.25.6-1-default.x86_64

if not working under madwifi then as above i would suggest ndiswrapper. is it an internal card? or plug in pcmcia or usb? please post ls command depending on which (lspci or psusb) and see if your card is detected. ndiswrapper is very easy to use and can be installed easily from yast.

Post Re: Atheros Networking with latest packages

I thought I had mentioned this in my earlier posts, but Ndiswrapper wasn't working with the wireless drivers I had downloaded; I've already tried both vista (no .inf files after cabextracting the .exe) and xp (two .inf files [maybe i should cat them?]) drivers with Ndisinstaller without success. The XP driver (which is the more probable one to use with ndiswrapper I assume) gave me the same error both times.

I have actually had a breakthrough with getting suse to at least recognize the interface; it is configurable from within KNetworkManager as ath0 after having compiled the source tarball of madwifi 0.9.4 with make, make install (as root), then modprobe_ath0. After rebooting, Yast recognized it and allowed me to configure it.

Here begin the new problems: It is already recognizing the wireless router I am wanting to connect to, but it doesn't seem to want to connect to either of the possible wireless access points [my Vista install detects and connects to both].
    Instead, it freezes at about halfway and eventually fails.

A possible explanation of my troubles is that I am in Europe where I have to connect through a wireless modem (this is not really a dial-up modem requiring I enter a number to be dialed, rather only username and password); it's simply a PPPoE wireless modem. In Vista, I connect without the ISP provider's software by setting up a new PPPoE connection, entering my details, and Whaboom! connected! and have accomplished this before on Kubuntu Hardy (also running KDE4) with the sudo pppoeconfig or -conf command. Then I plug in the second wireless router, enter the networking info of the PPPoE Modem, and can connect to the second router (which has better security and range than the other one) with the computer treating it as a "direct" internet connection without any tinkering under the Linux hood required.

But the 64-million (euros sound better) question is whether or not this sort of configuration is possible under SuSE. I have seen it hinted at in Yast, but have not had success with any of them yet. I'm on the brink of success, but could use a little friendly shove from the community.

I will keep trying to solve this and see if I get lucky...
    thanks for the help everyone...

>>>If it helps, I'm running 64-bit...

There's your problem with what you tried with ndiswrapper.
    Both XP and (normal)Vista have 32-bit drivers.

What you have to do in this case is go to NDISWRAPPER's
    area at:
    NDISwrapper

and find the 64-bit driver for your adapter. Or, failing that,
    go to vendor's site.

Hope this helps...

Dave

the XP drivers I found were 64-bit, but I will try the link...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast