Which openSUSE for me? The choices dilemma has become too difficult for me!

Hi,
I am joining this thread with some trepidation so please forgive if I feel a bit uncomfortable!

Why I am here is because my TW KDE system on my HP-Z640 has become almost unusable in use; like “treacle” would be the best description. Common applications I use for work such as Thunderbird and Dolphin are slower to respond than I can now accept and now the desktop screen mouse actions are quite unstable/imprecise and selection delays frequent to the extent that I sometimes try again only to find two windows opening a few seconds later.

By way of background my office machines run Leap 15.5 and I do not have any issues with them but I have “retired” and am trying to work more from my own room where I have the HP machine.

During an hardware upgrade of this HP machine a while ago I thought I would switch to TW as a learning experience and in anticipation of news of future changes and possible demise of Leap.

I recognise that TW is more ‘cutting edge’ and am not complaining, only seeking a way forward that suits my needs but recently the above problems have prompted me to find out what I should do next.

I first posted this thread at the end of an old Open Chat thread, attracted by the title and having read previously the mention of Transactional updates. Sadly I am not much wiser with names like Transactional updates, Slowroll, MicroOS, Aeon, Leap16 (?) et al. all in the mix and I have been advised to start a new thread which is what I am doing but now in Soapbox as I am not sure where to post with such a general question.

The bottom line is that I must change my OS and probably need a more conservative release. Which one and how I get there are the questions. My only additional comment concerns KDE and what has been referred to as bloat but this is for another time.

If any of the gurus here have any views I would appreciate some guidance and possibly the administrator can move the couple of replies I have had already from my Open Chat to this thread please?

Budgie2

I’ve been running tumbleweed on pretty old hardware -2 haswell machines from same era as yours I think. Is there some weirdness with limited instruction sets on your older CPU?

These old processors, you often need to redo thermal paste and such. What does sensors command say about temp? I dropped almost 50 degrees with a repaste resusing old heatsink on one of mine. Some of that, I think it just needed re-seated and cleaned.

Have you considered tossing in a cheap intel arc a380 or a310 some amd 6000 card in there if the CPU on tumbleweed isn’t the issue?

@butcherbird @Budgie2’s machine is a HP Z640, Dual Xeon (v3?) CPU’s along with an AMD WX GPU, it’s all good hardware wise :wink:

I have a HP Z440 with a v4 Xeon, Intel ARC gpu’s are a bit funky with the C610 chipset, it works as long as it’s the only GPU in the system in my tests, it doesn’t want to play well with Prime Render Offload. I moved my A380 over to an even older Intel board and it works fine with offload on that system has Intel/ARC A380/Nvidia K620 PCIe information is misleading as well (x1 2.5Gt/s).

@Budgie2 My suggestion is Leap or MicroOS (with some learning about distrobox and flatpaks).

Likewise using the likes of NFS or Samba services in a small setup are probably over kill for your needs. The only service I run here on systems is ssh, with that I can connect to any network machine via commandline or file sharing over Nautilus (sftp), if I want to mount a remote filesystem I use sshfs (I use that on my windows vm as well). User backups are done with rsync/ssh. It’s a maintenance free setup aside from some initial configuration (well for me with keys). Now I do have Minio (S3) running on a RPi3, but that’s for my kubernetes backups.

I suggest coming up with a list of all the applications your using on a daily basis and what/why accessing remote file systems (as in do the need to be a permanent connection).

Which memory do you have installed?

• I see in the HP specifications that, this hardware has DDR4-2133-ECC-RAM …

It seems that, the hardware appeared on the market around 2016.

How many memory cards are installed?

What happens if, you swap the memory cards around in the mainboard’s memory slots?
Or, if only one memory card, your remove and then reinsert that memory card?

As a last resort, what happens if, you turn off the memory’s ECC in the UEFI/BIOS?

Hi Don,
As usual I was a bit quick on the draw. My plasma 6 version was quickly updated to 6.0.3 and now the system is almost back to where it should be. I do not want to do any physical work until the weekend but fyi my system has 8 x 8 GiB memory cards in 8 slots and two processors as in 2 x 12 Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz cores.

I am still getting strange behaviour from Dolphin but now at least my systemd automounts are up and working correctly. My home directory still is not showing the empty directory which is waiting for another automount.

This is odd because it is an empty directory which has been created manually before building the automount system files. It is empty at present because the NFS server machine for this mount point is down.

Will get back to you when I have run some phoronics benchmarks as this will show up any hardware issues but afaik it is just the system and mainly KDE.

Leap with distrobox would suit you well.