Some openSUSE-12.3 experiences on different hardware

I installed openSUSE 12.3 and tried to get my HP1020 to work, when I tried to configure it with YaST it just did not print, so I went through the installation of the latest HP driver, downloaded hplip-3.13.3.run as I did on my other Linux systems.
First I got a message stating that 12.3 was not supported, but askedif I wanted to try anyway like if it was 12.2.
During installation it went through downloading all the dependencies and the cups needed, but eventually when building it it stopped with this message:

“Error: cannot find libjpeg”

I could not complete the installation of the driver.
Not knowing which libjpeg it was looking for, I used YaST Software Management and searched for libjpeg .
The 2 packages below were not installed so I checked them, then downloaded and ran hplip-3.13.3.run again answering the prompts for automatic installation, this time it completed the installation successfully, then downloaded the required HP plugin and finally printed the test pages.

libjpeg8-devel-32bit - Development Tools for applications which will use the Libjpeg LibraryThe libjpeg-devel package includes the header files and libraries necessary for compiling and linking programs which will manipulate JPEG files using the libjpeg library.
libjpeg8-devel - Development Tools for applications which will use the Libjpeg LibraryThe libjpeg-devel package includes the header files and libraries necessary for compiling and linking programs which will manipulate JPEG files using the libjpeg library.

F.G.

Just wanted to post up and say a huge thank you, and an equally massive congrats to the devs on a stellar release. I currently have the 12.3 KDE 64 bit installed on a Samsung NP355VC laptop (the wife’s), and it’s running extremely well. I had to do a little minimal tweaking to get it to fit, but it’s nothing that I wouldn’t have had to do with any other OS. It’s running so sweetly, the missus is extremely happy with it. :smiley:

I’ve only been using openSUSE since about 11.4, but I’ve already seen the OS get better and better. I used to be an Ubuntu user a while ago but it seems to me the stability of the system is collapsing under the weight of the leaders ambition. Too many lock ups and problems in my humble experience. I wish them well, but I got to the point where I had to just admit it wasn’t for me any more.

I’ll be installing openSUSE 12.3 on my own cobbled together dekstop soon too (AMD X4 945, 4Gb RAM, Nvidia 9800GT), and am very much looking forward to it. I think the future looks good for openSUSE, well, from where I’m sitting anyway. :smiley: My best wishes for you going forward.

I installed it on my system76 lemur ultra and everything worked perfectly out of the box except for the realtek card reader, and I was easily able to find the driver for that on OBS :slight_smile:

Oh dear, confession time for me… I’ve been over in the Fedora camp recently after an unhappy relationship with 12.2… However when the new release was announced (well sort of in Linux format) I couldn’t resist as I was still not totally happy and I’m so glad I took the plunge (on my birthday of all days!). Everything is so mature and the kde 4.10 desktop is beautiful and fast. From the default look to ripping my cd’s (Monster fast!) I’m loving it. As I use my pc as a music server for my Hi-fi I am mightly impressed with the sound (once bad behaving pulseaudio is removed - same for all distros). Yes this is the best so far by a long way on my machine :smiley:

penguinclaw@linux-2f76:~> inxi -F output
Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
System:    Host: linux-2f76.site Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.00 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A78L/USB3 version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1503 date: 11/14/2012
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 4000.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 4000.00 MHz 4: 1400.00 MHz 5: 4000.00 MHz 6: 4000.00 MHz 7: 1400.00 MHz 8: 4000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 640] 
           X.org: 1.13.2 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 237x64 
Audio:     Card-1: VIA ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller driver: snd_ice1712
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-3: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-4: Texas Instruments Japan driver: USB Audio
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-1.1-desktop
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: c8:60:00:cf:85:08
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 3500.7GB (53.3% used) 1: /dev/sda SAMSUNG_HD154UI 1500.3GB 
           2: /dev/sdb Hitachi_HDS5C302 2000.4GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 30G used: 7.9G (28%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 1.3T used: 781G (60%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 17.28GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 3:10 Memory: 1231.7/16062.7MB Runlevel: 5 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24 
penguinclaw@linux-2f76:~>

Just to qualify my comment on “nasty” Pulseaudio, I have an M-Audio soundcard running ice1712 driver. Unfortunately pulse does not configure the card correctly and analogue output is not available. I and many others have raised bug reports against this but to no avail… So I remove the little beasty and use alsa with the help of envy24control to get the levels all peachy :slight_smile: This is common to all Linux distros running pulse so is not a deal breaker with openSUSE :slight_smile:

I have made an attempt to install on a Gigabyte motherboard. All went well besides the required Attansic Ethernet card driver.

There is a thread on how to install the drivers, but I didn’t pursue. The driver does not come with opensuse 12.3. Attansic Technology was acquired years ago by Qualcomm = Atheros.

I have installed openSuSE 12.3 32-bit on three computers, and 64-bit on one. I’ll post the experience of each separately.

This is for a ThinkPad X41 laptop. It has a 1.6 GHz 32-bit CPU, 2 GB RAM, and Intel 915 graphics. It has a Samsung 60GB mSATA SSD using a mSATA-PATA converter internal to the laptop, and a 60GB mechanical SATA 2.5 inch HD in a caddy in the docking station. The 12.3 installation was to the HD in the docking station. Previously it dual booted openSuSE 12.2 and Windows XP.

I did a fresh install of 12.3 with KDE using the 4.7GB DVD iso written to a USB memory stick. I left the 12.2 /home partition and the Windows partitions alone, and formatted /. The installation went smoothly using a wired ethernet connection to do on-line update during installation. I had the usual struggle with ifup and Network Manager at the first login, but a reboot got Network Manager in gear and then wireless working. Doing all the updates and multi-media installation, hplip for the network printer, and samba setup were straight forward.

The only quirk I have found is losing the on-screen display and tray icon indication when using the laptop buttons to raise, lower, or mute volume. The buttons do vary volume correctly, there is just no visible indication it is happening. OpenSuSE 12.2 on this machine does have OSD and icon changes with volume button pushes. I first noticed this in the development releases. A bug report is at https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=794444 This certainly is not a big issue, just a nice-to-have.

This is my test machine, and I am pleased with 12.3, so went on the other computers.

Regards,
Howard

I had some time over the Easter holiday weekend, so I So I succumbed and installed 12.3 on my main PC, on my nominal partition, and not just the test partition I noted in this quote.

I was in fact planning to upgrade from openSUSE-12.1 on this PC, to only openSUSE-12.2 (I tend to be very conservative in my updates). But then I discovered a package I use a lot (gImageReader) was not available for 12.2 nor 12.3. This was ‘gimagereader’ (which I use a lot as an English speaking expat in Germany, where I also travel to France on business at times). With gImageReader I can scan/OCR French and German, and have it spell checked. Then I paste into google and it helps make up for my pathethic language skills. One of our moderators (who is also a Packman packager) packaged this application for me for 12.2, and also packaged a 12.3 .

I am also a handbrake user, and handbrake is not available yet for 12.3. But then in my Test Partition I also noted the 12.2 version of handbrake works in 12.3 (which was fortunate as I note the packman packagers (with Yaloki being gone) are having difficulty in packaging handbrake for 12.3). Since mencoder has died (and microchip no longer maintains h264enc nor xvidenc) I use handbrake a lot. And on my test partition I was successful in installation of the proprietary nvidia driver on 12.3 (where many users report problems). All my other main apps were in place for 12.3 so I decided to go for 12.3 and skip 12.2.

Installation had some hiccups.

The installation did not initially configure my wired network device,… so I configured it during the install. It worked immediately after the install was complete, but … before then … after the network setup and during the install I selected to apply on-line updates, and after installing a number of apps successfully, that then toward the end of the update stopped the install (with a throwback to a full screen terminal) with the message “yast got signal 1 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/client/online_update_install.ycp.91” . I waited for 10 minutes and no further activity. I had to do a hard reset/reboot to recovery. That restarted the install, and again the on-line update failed with the same error. Again a hardware reset/reboot was needed. That again restarted the install, and this time I elected NOT to do an online install. Installation finished ok. After that I was able to go to YaST and complete an openSUSE-12.3 update.

Installing the network printer had the same hiccup as I have seen before. When I selected the hplip “hpijs” printer driver for my inkjet C309a all-in-one premium network printer, the test printing failed. Going to /var/log/cups/ to the printing error log and I saw the printer misconfigured as an HP 2600n Laser Jet ! I then went back to YaST and chose the hplip “hpcups” printer driver for my C309a printer, and that worked.

I kept my previous /home and KDE gave a rather bizarre desktop, as the default theme for openSUSE-12.3 did not work so well with my user settings in /home. Fortunately it was easy to change the KDE theme back to a setting that my previous desktop setting played better with.

This is the MOST cutting edge GNU/Linux I have ever had as my main desktop OS for over 4 years (maybe 5 or 6 years). …

And it (64-bit 12.3 with KDE desktop) seems to be working well right now. Thus far I really like this release.

oldcpu@corei7-920:~> inxi -F
System:    Host: corei7-920.darmstadt Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.00 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P6T DELUXE V2 version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 1108 date: 09/21/2010
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU 920 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2668.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1600.00 MHz 5: 1600.00 MHz 6: 1600.00 MHz 7: 1600.00 MHz 8: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA0 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Logitech HD Webcam C910 driver: USB Audio
Network:   Card-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 
           IF: eth1 state: down speed: 65535 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: 00:24:8c:7e:ee:38
           Card-2: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: sky2 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:24:8c:7e:ee:39
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (73.8% used) 1: /dev/sda ST31500341AS 1500.3GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 29G used: 7.2G (26%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 1.2T used: 1.0T (91%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 6.82GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 53.0C mobo: 52.0C gpu: 0.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1171 psu: 0 sys-1: 0 sys-2: 0 sys-3: 0 
Info:      Processes: 192 Uptime: 1:42 Memory: 1032.9/5972.4MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

The above was with the nouveau graphic driver. I later successfully installed the proprietary nvidia graphic driver where ‘inxi -F’ with that graphic section only yields .

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 310.40

On 2013-04-03 07:36, oldcpu wrote:
> Again a hardware reset/reboot was needed.
> That again restarted the install, and this time I elected NOT to do an
> online install. Installation finished ok. After that I was able to go
> to YaST and complete an openSUSE-12.3 update.

I never allow the installation system to apply updates online.

I have been caught this way before. It can crash and render the
installation useless. You were lucky that you could restart and continue.

I let the installation to proceed from DVD sources only. After it
finishes and is running, I use YOU to apply the updates, with the
advantage that I can at the same time use the system to work or
configure things - I don’t have to wait at a useless display doing
installation without access to my computer.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Your point is noted.

I view this as a catch-22.

The ‘risk’ of following the approach you adopt, is that there is an update that is ESSENTIAL for one’s hardware that if one does not install while booting from the installation DVD, means one will not be able to boot after the install without updates all complete. In that case, one has spent (perhaps wasted) more time.

I don’t have a bandwidth limitation so consuming bandwidth is not an issue for me. My Internet connection is very solid. Plus I have a very (VERY) fast Internet connection, so speed of download/update is not an issue.

Hence while I have (in the past) adopted the view you have, I did change my mind a couple of years back and I currently significantly prefer to do the on-line update, in the full knowledge that it could cause problems, but also in the full knowledge that an update could immediately solve problems.

In case the expression ‘catch-22’ is not known: Catch-22 (logic) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 2013-04-03 14:36, oldcpu wrote:

> Your point is noted.
>
> I view this as a catch-22.
>
> The ‘risk’ of following the approach you adopt, is that there is an
> update that is ESSENTIAL for one’s hardware that if one does not install
> while booting from the installation DVD, means one will not be able to
> boot after the install without updates all complete. In that case, one
> has spent (perhaps wasted) more time.

That’s the exception to the rule :slight_smile:

Me, I had the installation system crash because of the online updates it
was attempting, more than once. I’m scared of them at install time.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

This is for a ThinkPad T23 laptop. System details are below. Previously it multi-booted openSuSE 12.2, Windows XP and Windows 98SE.

howard@T23oS123:~> inxi -F
System:    Host: T23oS123.site Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-default i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.00 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (i586) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   System: IBM (portable) product: 26478MU
           Mobo: IBM model: 26478MU Bios: IBM version: 1AET64WW (1.20 ) date: 10/18/2006
CPU:       Single core Intel Pentium III Mobile CPU (-UP-) cache: 512 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 1133.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: S3 SuperSavage IX/C SDR X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: savage (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on softpipe GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-1.1-default
Network:   Card: Intel 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller driver: e100 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 00:d0:59:cf:e6:19
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (34.9% used) 1: /dev/sda INTEL_SSDSA1M080 80.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 17G used: 4.7G (30%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 5.0G used: 1.1G (23%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 3.22GB used: 0.03GB (1%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes: 122 Uptime: 0:47 Memory: 391.0/1003.1MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

I did a fresh install of 32-bit 12.3 with KDE using the 4.7GB DVD, plus an extra RPM written to a USB memory stick. I left the 12.2 /home partition and the Windows partitions alone, and formatted /. The installation went smoothly using a wired ethernet connection to do on-line update during installation. I had the usual struggle with ifup and Network Manager at the first login, but a reboot got Network Manager in gear. Doing all the updates and multi-media installation, hplip for the network printer, and samba setup were straight forward.

The extra RPM I installed was the video driver for the savage graphics card. This card does not work with the 12.3 kernel and included xf86-video-savage-2.3.6-2.2.1 driver. The issue is discussed in the forum thread https://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/pre-release-beta/483333-score-so-far-t-23-x-31-lenovo-g570-12-3-rc1.html and bug report https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=805380. During the bug work, the developer, Stefan Dirsch, prepared a modified driver, xf86-video-savage-2.3.6-17.1.i586.rpm, in Factory. I downloaded and tested it, and it worked. During installation in the third screen, you can select “Include Add-on Products from Separate Media”. I did that to use the USB stick, and got the right driver from the start. The fixed driver RPM is no longer in Factory, so others with this card will have to use the workaround identified by oldcpu in the forum thread given above.

Regards,
Howard

If anyone else experiences the problem I fixed it by removing every package that had anything pulse related in it’s name and accepted default dependency resolution solutions. This turned out to be quite reckless and the list of packages that was removed is :

NetworkManager-openvpn-kde4 NetworkManager-pptp-kde4 NetworkManager-vpnc-kde4 Q7Z akregator alsa-plugins-pulse amarok ark bluedevil-lang brasero-nautilus cheese choqok ffmpeg flash-player-kde4 gecko-mediaplayer gmplayer gnome-control-center-branding-openSUSE gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-plugins-good-extra gwenview hplip icedtea-web k3b-codecs kaddressbook kaffeine kcalc kcharselect kcolorchooser kde-gtk-config-lang kde4-print-manager kdeartwork4-screensaver kdebase4-nsplugin kdebase4-openSUSE kdebase4-workspace-plasma-calendar kdenetwork4-filesharing kdepasswd kdm kdnssd keditbookmarks kgamma kget kgpg kio_audiocd kio_iso kio_kamera kio_mtp kiosktool-lang kipi-plugins-acquireimage kipi-plugins-geolocation kmag kmahjongg kmail kmines kmix kmousetool knotes kolor-manager kompare konsole kontact konversation-lang kopete korganizer kpat krdc kreversi krfb kruler kscd ksnapshot ksshaskpass ksudoku ktorrent kvkbd kwalletmanager kwebkitpart libbonoboui-lang libcanberra-gtk2-module libcanberra-gtk3-module libgnome-lang libgnomeui-lang libreoffice-kde4 libxine2-pulse marble-doc moodbar mozilla-kde4-integration nautilus-sendto-plugin-empathy nautilus-totem notification-daemon okular patterns-openSUSE-kde4 patterns-openSUSE-kde4_admin patterns-openSUSE-kde4_imaging pavucontrol phonon-backend-gstreamer-0_10 plasma-addons plasma-addons-lancelot plasma-addons-marble plasmoid-networkmanagement plasmoid-quickaccess pulseaudio-equalizer pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-jack pulseaudio-module-lirc pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf python-kdebase4 recorditnow-backend-ffmpeg recorditnow-backend-mplayer rhythmbox-lang skanlite-doc smplayer sox sweeper synaptiks totem-browser-plugin-gmp totem-lang totem-plugin-zeitgeist totem-plugins transmission-gtk tsclient-lang vlc-aout-pulse libkerfuffle4 bluedevil brasero libavdevice54 gnome-mplayer gnome-control-center java-1_7_0-openjdk k3b kde-gtk-config libkcompactdisc4 kiosktool libkgeomap1 kipi-plugins libkmahjongglib4 konversation libmediastreamer1 akonadi libkdegames6 libktorrent5 libcanberra-gtk0 empathy patterns-openSUSE-kde4_basis marble NetworkManager-kde4-libs pulseaudio-utils recorditnow rhythmbox skanlite libsox2 python-kde4 totem-browser-plugin canberra-gtk-play tsclient vlc libbrasero-burn3-1 libgmtk1 MPlayer gnome-settings-daemon libkcddb4 cdrkit-cdrtools-compat cdrdao libkvkontakte1 libkipi10 libkexiv2-11 libkdcraw22 libkmahjongg kdepim4 libtelepathy-farstream3 gnome-contacts plasmoid-folderview kwrite kdebase4-session dolphin marble-data pulseaudio gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good libksane0 python-qt4 totem libgnomeui vlc-qt libgmlib1 icedax libkdepim4 kdepim4-runtime gstreamer-plugins-farstream libcheese-gtk23 libktexteditor kwin libnepomukwidgets4 kdebase4-libkonq libbonoboui vlc-noX vorbis-tools libkolab0 libkgapi0 kdepimlibs4 libfarstream-0_2-2 libcheese7 libcanberra-gtk3-0 kdebase4-workspace-liboxygenstyle libkonq5 libgnome libao4 gstreamer-plugins-good kdebase4-workspace libao-plugins4 kdebase4-workspace-branding-openSUSE kdebase4-workspace-ksysguardd polkit-kde-kcmmodules-1 kde4-kgreeter-plugins kactivities4 polkit-kde-agent-1 kdebase4-runtime libkactivities6 libcanberra0 libakonadi4 libkdepimlibs4 nepomuk-core kdelibs4 kdelibs4-core libkde4 libksuseinstall1 libphonon4 libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libfluidsynth1 libpulse0

After that I simply reinstalled all the packages by doing “zypper in [above list of packages]” and know pulseaudio works fine :slight_smile: This wasted a lot of time and bandwidth so I wouldn’t recommend it if you have some download restrictions with your ISP but the solution works for me.

Interesting … It reads like there was originally a corrupted/bad install for one of the pulse apps. … or there was a bug in pulse, and you ended up installing an openSUSE update for 12.3 that fixed the original problem.

I think it was some leftover from the upgrade but I guess upgrade from LXDE to KDE is not supported in between openSUSE versions. Anyway I can’t open a bug request because I have no idea what has actually happened or how to reproduce this.

My wife finally let me install openSUSE-12.3 on her main desktop PC. Her PC has an Asus motherboard with an Intel Core i7-860 CPU, 6GBytes of RAM and a rather basic nVidia GT218 Graphics. Her PC has two hard drives (one old IDE and one newer SATA).

She is an MS-Windows user, but she does like to have a GNU/Linux install (in a dual boot) on all of her PCs, in part as a backup and also to learn a bit about GNU/Linux (as she uses GNU/Linux and Unix where she works).

I installed from the 64-bit openSUSE-12.3 DVD, selecting the KDE desktop and the legacy grub. I was careful to ensure grub was NOT installed on the MBR and selected the grub boot from the extended partition (as my wife’s GNU/Linux is on the SATA sdb6 ( / ) and sdb7 (/home) which is identified as the second drive in her PC). That second sdb drive (SATA) is marked in the BIOS as her boot drive, and the extended partition of sdb is flagged as the active partition.

The network devices (Ethernet on the motherboard) were not configured during the install. After the install completed I went into YaST and quickly configured the one Ethernet device connected to our home LAN (providing Internet connectivity).

I kept my wife’s old /home from her openSUSE-12.2 install, and noted that openSUSE-12.3 KDE changed the theme on my wife’s desktop, so I had to change it back to the theme that she liked. I then installed Skype, Chrome browser, and the proprietary VirtualBox version on my wife’s PC (with the VirtualBox guest additions). Since I kept my wife’s old /home, the guest Operating System that was in her /home was immediately recognized when I ran VirtualBox. I setup our network printer/scanner (HP C309a) with no problem, testing successfully both network printing and network scanning.

I added a mount point to her NTFS data partition (under /windows/E) and modified the fstab so as to provide her write access in addition to read access to that partition.

I also added the Packman packager repository to her openSUSE repository configuration, and installed a number of multimedia applications from Packman. And I installed the program gImageReader that malcolmlewis was good enough to package for openSUSE users (where I use gImageReader to OCR different language text).

I also setup her desktop for Thai language fonts as a secondary keyboard/font (using both YaST and KDE desktop configuring).

There is not much more to add - other than to emphasize this was a SUCCESSFUL SMOOTH INSTALL.

I note this was her PC setup with opensSUSE-12.3 using the nouveau driver.

System:    Host: kob-corei7.darmstadt Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.2 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P7H55-M version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1002 date: 08/09/2010
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU 860 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz 5: 1200.00 MHz 6: 1200.00 MHz 7: 1200.00 MHz 8: 2801.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 20:cf:30:ac:00:0c
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (13.5% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3500630A 500.1GB 
           2: /dev/sdb Hitachi_HDS72105 500.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 6.4G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 202G used: 120G (63%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 45.5C mobo: 28.0C gpu: 37.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1454 sys-1: 1721 
Info:      Processes: 194 Uptime: 0:12 Memory: 690.0/5945.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24 

and after updating to the proprietary nVidia graphic driver it was the same, with the exception of this for graphics and audio:

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210] 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.30

I then set in grub windows7 back to being her default boot, and pretty much all should be transparent wrt her noticing the update.

On 2013-05-01, oldcpu <oldcpu@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> There is not much more to add - other than to emphasize this was a
> SUCCESSFUL SMOOTH INSTALL.

Glad everything well for you. I’ve only positive things to report on openSUSE 12.3 installations too!

Many of the configuration changes you mention seem to be something you’re likely to have to repeat after every install.
Certainly I find this so much case that I run a couple of post-install scripts I’ve written to create/install
mounts/links/repos/software so that everything is `ready-to-go’ to the extent where I don’t even bother preserving the
/home/ partition anymore. Admittedly the scripts need a tweak here and there from time to time but it makes
transitioning from one version openSUSE to the next very painless. Or is this just laziness? :slight_smile:

>
> My wife finally let me install openSUSE-12.3 on her main desktop PC.
> Her PC has an Asus motherboard with an Intel Core i7-860 CPU, 6GBytes of
> RAM and a rather basic nVidia GT218 Graphics. Her PC has two hard drives
> (one old IDE and one newer SATA).
>
> She is an MS-Windows user, but she does like to have a GNU/Linux
> install (in a dual boot) on all of her PCs, in part as a backup and also
> to learn a bit about GNU/Linux (as she uses GNU/Linux and Unix where she
> works).
>
> I installed from the 64-bit openSUSE-12.3 DVD, selecting the KDE
> desktop and the legacy grub. I was careful to ensure grub was NOT
> installed on the MBR and selected the grub boot from the extended
> partition (as my wife’s GNU/Linux is on the SATA sdb6 ( / ) and sdb7
> (/home) which is identified as the second drive in her PC). That second
> sdb drive (SATA) is marked in the BIOS as her boot drive, and the
> extended partition of sdb is flagged as the active partition.
>
> The network devices (Ethernet on the motherboard) were not configured
> during the install. After the install completed I went into YaST and
> quickly configured the one Ethernet device connected to our home LAN
> (providing Internet connectivity).
>
> I kept my wife’s old /home from her openSUSE-12.2 install, and noted
> that openSUSE-12.3 KDE changed the theme on my wife’s desktop, so I had
> to change it back to the theme that she liked. I then installed Skype,
> Chrome browser, and the proprietary VirtualBox version on my wife’s PC
> (with the VirtualBox guest additions). Since I kept my wife’s old
> /home, the guest Operating System that was in her /home was immediately
> recognized when I ran VirtualBox. I setup our network printer/scanner
> (HP C309a) with no problem, testing successfully both network printing
> and network scanning.
>
> I added a mount point to her NTFS data partition (under /windows/E) and
> modified the fstab so as to provide her write access in addition to read
> access to that partition.
>
> I also added the Packman packager repository to her openSUSE repository
> configuration, and installed a number of multimedia applications from
> Packman. And I installed the program gImageReader that malcolmlewis was
> good enough to package for openSUSE users (where I use gImageReader to
> OCR different language text).
>
> I also setup her desktop for Thai language fonts as a secondary
> keyboard/font (using both YaST and KDE desktop configuring).
>
> There is not much more to add - other than to emphasize this was a
> SUCCESSFUL SMOOTH INSTALL.
>
> I note this was her PC setup with opensSUSE-12.3 using the nouveau
> driver.
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> System: Host: kob-corei7.darmstadt Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop x86_64 (64 bit)
> Desktop KDE 4.10.2 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
> Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P7H55-M version: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends version: 1002 date: 08/09/2010
> CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU 860 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx)
> Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz 5: 1200.00 MHz 6: 1200.00 MHz 7: 1200.00 MHz 8: 2801.00 MHz
> Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
> X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
> GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0.2
> Audio: Card-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
> Card-2: NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
> Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-1.1-desktop
> Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
> IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: 20:cf:30:ac:00:0c
> Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (13.5% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3500630A 500.1GB
> 2: /dev/sdb Hitachi_HDS72105 500.1GB
> Partition: ID: / size: 25G used: 6.4G (27%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 202G used: 120G (63%) fs: ext4
> ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
> Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 45.5C mobo: 28.0C gpu: 37.0
> Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 1454 sys-1: 1721
> Info: Processes: 194 Uptime: 0:12 Memory: 690.0/5945.3MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24
>
>
> --------------------
>
>
> and after updating to the proprietary nVidia graphic driver it was the
> same, with the exception of this for graphics and audio:
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GT218 [GeForce 210]
> X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz
> GLX Renderer: GeForce 210/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 313.30
>
> --------------------
>
>
> I then set in grub windows7 back to being her default boot, and pretty
> much all should be transparent wrt her noticing the update.
>
>

I upgraded opensuse 12.2 to 12.3 on my somewhat new (one year old) Lenovo box. Encountered a major problem with a bad DVD install. Switched to a network install and everything went smoothly. Am using the new KDE 4.10 repositories.

The one problem I see with opensuse 12.3 so far is a weird hang/audio and video stutter/system stop and start problem. The (Apple) keyboard sometimes prints “firrrrrrefox” on the command line, other events get delayed by about half a second and there’s a noticeable audio/video stutter issue. This happens on both KDE 4.10.3 and XFCE. I couldn’t find anyone else with a similar issue and wonder if it’s a hardware problem exposed by the new kernel in opensuse 12.3.

System:    Host: agape-server.ourhome.net Kernel: 3.7.10-1.4-desktop x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.3 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   System: LENOVO product: IdeaCentre K330 version: Lenovo Product
           Mobo: LENOVO model: N/A Bios: LENOVO version: DKKT20AUS date: 03/16/2011
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-2600 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 2000.00 MHz 5: 1600.00 MHz 6: 1600.00 MHz 7: 1600.00 MHz 8: 1600.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos [Radeon HD 6450] 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1280x1024@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6450 GLX Version: 4.2.12217 - CPC 12.104
Audio:     Card-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series] driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.7.10-1.4-desktop
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e 
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 40:61:86:75:7a:7a
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce 
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: ac:81:12:68:89:71
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1500.3GB (17.6% used) 1: /dev/sda ST31500341AS 1500.3GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 20G used: 15G (78%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 1.3T used: 232G (20%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 6.44GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
Info:      Processes: 256 Uptime: 22:49 Memory: 2174.1/12024.7MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

Is this of any help : ArchWiki:Archive - ArchWiki

Have you checked /var/log/messages for any hints ? I suppose you could try the ‘nopat’ kernel option. … (having typed that, I note this is really speculation on my part … when I read on “nopat” I find

[X86] Disable PAT (page attribute table extension of pagetables) support.

which makes me think this could be more for 32-bit than 64-bit pcs such as yours. And I also do not understand the relevance of this, other to note it is a suggestion on the internet, that some claim can be applied for temporary video hangs when using the catalyst driver.

There are also other suggestions in the arch linux wiki ArchWiki:Archive - ArchWiki on catalyst which may or may not be relevant to openSUSE.