Some openSUSE-12.3 experiences on different hardware

Not good news! I was planning to zypper dup a 12.2 based testing system partition up to 12.3, soon. I will disable all but the standard repos first and do a dry run with “zypper dup -D”.

My chipset is an Intel GM45 (Mobile 4 Series). Previously never had such problems as you describe. However, from your “assorted hardware” results, should I expect a specific problem e.g. initrd missing hardware drivers?

I have no idea what’s causing the problem to honest, it seems to pop up with really random boxes - almost all of them have been upgraded since 10.x series (Really, they’re some tough mofos! :slight_smile: ) but don’t take it too negatively - vast majority of the machines have upgraded 100% no problems.

But you always remember the ones that don’t! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update, glad you had successes also. Will proceed with caution, and post if any issues, but don’t wait up. :slight_smile:

I was able successfully build the Nvidia modules using:

Unpatched 310.19 driver (surprisingly)
Default (not desktop) kernel 3.7.10
Symlink for /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/ as above
Manually configured kernel sources ( cd /usr/src/linux && make cloneconfig && make scripts && make prepare )

I did not realize building this would be so problematic on 3.7 kernels. I’ve grown used to the Nvidia install “just working”.

Google shows a good number of people having similar issues, not just with the Nvidia module but with other drivers which need the symlink as above.

Good grief.

Thanks for the help OldCPU,

LewsTherin

Most interesting. I think I’ll point-to/reference this experience in my blog.

Just upgraded from 12.2 using zypper dup.

Sound, video working like charm out of the box. No tweaking needed. Somehow pulse audio is disabled for me and I don’t know how to enable it :slight_smile: This is most likely because I upgraded from 12.2 LXDE where I had pulse disabled.

System:    Host: asus.site Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.00 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (i586) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: UL80AG version: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UL80AG version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 203 date: 11/09/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU U7300 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1300.00 MHz 2: 1300.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x302) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-1.1-desktop
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:25:d3:cc:fe:bf
           Card-2: Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c                   
           IF: eth0 state: down speed: 4294967295 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: e0:cb:4e:36:e2:ec
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (66.2% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9320325AS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 12G (91%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 143 Uptime: 0:10 Memory: 625.9/2901.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

Just realized that I had xf86-video-intel package missing and therfore intel driver was not loaded. Below is the inxi output with intel driver loaded.

glistwan@asus:~> inxi -F
System:    Host: asus.site Kernel: 3.7.10-1.1-desktop i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop KDE 4.10.00 Distro: openSUSE 12.3 (i586) VERSION = 12.3 CODENAME = Dartmouth
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: UL80AG version: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UL80AG version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: 203 date: 11/09/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel CPU U7300 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1300.00 MHz 2: 1300.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.13.2 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.2
Audio:     Card: Intel 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-1.1-desktop
Network:   Card-1: Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 00:25:d3:cc:fe:bf
           Card-2: Atheros AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c 
           IF: eth0 state: down speed: 4294967295 Mbps duplex: unknown mac: e0:cb:4e:36:e2:ec
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (66.3% used) 1: /dev/sda ST9320325AS 320.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 14G used: 12G (92%) fs: ext4 
Sensors:   Error: You do not have the sensors app installed.
Info:      Processes: 141 Uptime: 0:53 Memory: 574.1/2901.6MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24

By default pulse audio is not installed in an openSUSE LXDE desktop. Typically if I wish pulse audio on my LXDE desktop I need to install it separately via YaST Software Manager. I usually also install ‘pavucontrol’ at same time.

Yep I did instal pulse and pavucontrol but I don’t know how to enable it. (or maybe I don’t have all the necessary packages)

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Pulseaudio#Disabling_pulseaudio_completely_.28ALSA_fall-back.29

Tried :

setup-pulseaudio --enable

but when I start pavucontrol after that it tells me that there is no server running to connect to. The setup-pulseaudio used to work for me at least once. (don’t remeber on which openSUSE version).

On 2013-03-13, flymail <flymail@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> I bit the bullet and opted for GRUB2 rather than Legacy.

Back to GRUB Legacy. Can’t seem to boot 11.4 Evergreen from GRUB2. Oh well, at least I’ll have the penguins back this
Christmas :).

Ouch, thanks for finding the out, before I did.

I have 11.4 Evergreen in multi-boot. When I installed 12.3 RC1, I opted for Legacy so no issue so far. Later I needed to install 12.2 (in an old 11.4 partition), opting for Grub2. Luckily it was installed into root partition, so Grub Legacy of 12.3 boots Grub2 of 12.2 and no problems so far. Since it also configured all other partitions in Grub2, I will go back and see if Grub2 boots the Legacy Grub of 11.4 Evergreen, in case I missed trying that.

On 2013-03-15, consused <consused@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> Ouch, thanks for finding the out, before I did.

Pleasure. Fortunately 12.3 makes switching from GRUB2->GRUB Legacy easy as long as you select `Propose new
configuration’ rather than attempt to convert, otherwise you’ll end up having to fix it.
>
> I have 11.4 Evergreen in multi-boot. When I installed 12.3 RC1, I
> opted for Legacy so no issue so far. Later I needed to install 12.2 (in
> an old 11.4 partition), opting for Grub2. Luckily it was installed into
> root partition, so Grub Legacy of 12.3 boots Grub2 of 12.2 and no
> problems so far. Since it also configured all other partitions in Grub2,
> I will go back and see if Grub2 boots the Legacy Grub of 11.4 Evergreen,
> in case I missed trying that.

Let me know if that works, and how! I found it so much easier to get GRUB to load GRUB2 than the other way round, and
GRUB2 seems so much more complicated-yet-so-inflexible in comparison - but most likely is more a reflection of my
ignorance of GRUB2.

Hmm, I thought advice (12.2) was opposite, i.e. “Convert”, so I think that’s what I did for 12.3 (into multi-boot) selecting Legacy. I now definitely recall one failure with “Propose new config” for Legacy.

What worked this new test: Grub Legacy menu (12.3 partition) –> chain-loaded Grub2 menu (12.2 part) –> Grub Legacy menu (11.4 Evergreen part) and boot. No issues encountered.

The 12.3 menu worked since RC1 release, to all others chain-loaded Legacy (including W7). Then added 12.2 and its Grub2 menu boots to all others (including W7).

Hope I made that clear enough, if not please ask. :slight_smile:

On 2013-03-15 10:46, glistwan wrote:
> Yep I did instal pulse and pavucontrol but I don’t know how to enable
> it. (or maybe I don’t have all the necessary packages)

Try setting up sound in yast.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Have you tried at command line (normal user)

pulseaudio --check

If not running, then:

pulseaudio --start

Doesn’t work. This is the output I get :

glistwan@asus:~> pulseaudio --check
glistwan@asus:~> pulseaudio --start
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file '/home/glistwan/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key '/home/glistwan/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
glistwan@asus:~> pulseaudio --check
glistwan@asus:~>

@Carlos
I tried to set up pulseaudio in YaST as well but this didn’t enable it either.

Maybe I’m missing some packages ? :

asus:~ # zypper se pulse
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name                                     | Summary                      | Type      
--+------------------------------------------+------------------------------+-----------
i | alsa-plugins-pulse                       | Pulseaudio Plug-In for the-> | package   
  | audacious-plugins-output-pulse           | Pulseaudio Sound Daemon ou-> | package   
  | audacious-plugins-output-pulse-debuginfo | Debug information for pack-> | package   
  | cmus-plugin-pulse                        | Pulseaudio Output Plugin f-> | package   
  | cmus-plugin-pulse-debuginfo              | Debug information for pack-> | package   
  | libgvncpulse-1_0-0                       | Pulse audio bridge for VNC-> | package   
  | libpt2_10_9-plugins-pulse                | Pulseaudio support for lib-> | package   
  | libpulse-devel                           | Development package for th-> | package   
i | libpulse-mainloop-glib0                  | GLIB 2.0 Main Loop wrapper-> | package   
i | libpulse0                                | Client interface to PulseA-> | package   
i | libxine2-pulse                           | Pulseaudio plugin for xine   | package   
  | libxine2-pulse-debuginfo                 | Debug information for pack-> | package   
  | mpg123-pulse                             | Pulseaudio Support for mpg-> | package   
  | mpg123-pulse-debuginfo                   | Debug information for pack-> | package   
i | pulseaudio                               | A Networked Sound Server     | package   
i | pulseaudio-equalizer                     | 15 Band Equalizer for Puls-> | package   
  | pulseaudio-equalizer                     | 15 Band Equalizer for Puls-> | srcpackage
  | pulseaudio-esound-compat                 | ESOUND compatibility for P-> | package   
  | pulseaudio-gdm-hooks                     | PulseAudio GDM integration   | package   
  | pulseaudio-lang                          | Languages for package puls-> | package   
i | pulseaudio-module-bluetooth              | Bluetooth support for the -> | package   
  | pulseaudio-module-gconf                  | GCONF module for PulseAudio  | package   
i | pulseaudio-module-jack                   | JACK support for the Pulse-> | package   
i | pulseaudio-module-lirc                   | LIRC module for PulseAudio   | package   
i | pulseaudio-module-x11                    | X11 module for PulseAudio    | package   
i | pulseaudio-module-zeroconf               | Zeroconf module for PulseA-> | package   
i | pulseaudio-utils                         | PulseAudio utilities         | package   
  | typelib-1_0-GVncPulse-1_0                | Pulse audio bridge for VNC-> | package   
i | vlc-aout-pulse                           | VLC Audio Out for Pulse Au-> | package   
  | vlc-aout-pulse-debuginfo                 | Debug information for pack-> | package   
  | xmms2-plugin-pulse                       | Pulse Support for xmms2      | package   
  | xmms2-plugin-pulse-debuginfo             | Debug information for pack-> | package

You have more packages installed than I do! I don’t have those two, even though VLC is installed here. Mine has worked right through from RC1.

You could always run a dry-run “zypper dup -D” to see what it proposes. Even if you reply yes to go ahead, it will just end and not change anything. :slight_smile:

I need to post an update to this. I raised an openSUSE-12.3 bug report on the nouveau driver and also an upstream bug report on the nouveau driver with the 3.7.x kernel.

I note now in the openSUSE-12.3 bug report on the nouveau driver that a test 3.7.10 kernel has been provided that works with the nouveau driver.

This was a surprise to see so soon, and I am quite happy about this.

On 2013-03-15, consused <consused@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
> What worked this new test: Grub Legacy menu (12.3 partition) →
> chain-loaded Grub2 menu (12.2 part) → Grub Legacy menu (11.4 Evergreen
> part) and boot. No issues encountered.

You have a GRUB2 sandwich :). I just wonder why you don’t just stick 11.4’s boot menu onto your first GRUB Legacy. Or
do not wish to share /boot/ partitions across different openSUSE versions?

> The 12.3 menu worked since RC1 release, to all others chain-loaded
> Legacy (including W7). Then added 12.2 and its Grub2 menu boots to all
> others (including W7).

How have you managed to get GRUB2 to load into 11.4 evergreen?

> Hope I made that clear enough, if not please ask. :slight_smile:

Yup it’s clear! :slight_smile:

Mmmm. Yes. With hindsight, I think of it as sand-bagging with protective Legacy. :smiley:

The simple answer is “indolence”. Originally I used to edit the main partition’s Grub to directly boot all additional root partitions. That was what the Grub developer intended; chain-loader being convenient afterthought.

Back in the day, YaST Boot Loader had some issues with that when installing new releases, and less was known or understood then. It was just easier to let YaST do its thing and put a working Grub into the root partition of the new install, and the chain-loading now worked fine.

The only issue after that was openSUSE deciding to place the boot flag in the extended partition, and booting whatever logical partition had the latest install. All my linux partitions are logical ones, since Lenovo + W7 occupied three primaries. In practice the latest Grub Legacy menu starts the boot for all partitions, although 11.2 + Grub2 as the latest addition was an exception. I’m not absolutely sure why that happened, but obviously my box-ticking in editing the Installer’s proposal influenced that. I had to manually update the existing 12.3 Grub Legacy to chain-load to Grub2.

Ok, 12.3’s Grub has entry for each system, and I have a second menu to time through in seconds, but that doesn’t justify the edits in my view. :slight_smile:

I don’t share a single /boot/ partition across openSUSE versions. I would have to reorganize, as the one I have is probably not big enough for all the different kernel versions. It’s ok for one system with two to three multi-versions to cope with kernel updates, and that’s what I originally included it for. Am I missing something there? :\