Rollback to KDE5?

I was anticipating KDE 6 for a long time. However, now i have some major issues and one of them is the problems I have with KRDC as well as various keys on my keyboard that are simply not working anymore.

Is there anyway to rollback the upgrade? I don’t use BTRFS so, no snapshots here.

Not in any supported way. You can try to check on /history - openSUSE Download if previous snapshot with KDE5 is still available and can try to perform zypper dup from it (hint - the tumbleweed-cli package provides tumbleweed commands to manage these historical snapshots). It will likely result in large number of dependency issues that you will need to solve (one possibility is to remove everything related to KDE and reinstall from snapshot). But these historical snapshots only exist for the main Tumbleweed OSS repository (may be non-OSS, not sure). Any third party repository that has already been rebuilt against Plasma6 will have to be removed and packages from it will stop working.

You can try Slowroll.

It’s Tumbleweed but a little behind. It gets security updates but other updates are delayed for more testing. All you have to do is change your repos and you’ll go back to an older TW.

You will end up with Plasma 6 eventually. I have no idea how long you can stay on Plasma 5.

Right now it’s showing that it has Plasma 5.27.10 in the Slowroll repos.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Slowroll

Plasma 6 will arrive in Slowroll soon.

And it is not delayed for more testing. Only some package versions might get skipped.

1 Like

Hmmmm…
OK. Not ideal.
I should have locked plasma 5, so now it’s too late.

You can consider openSUSE Leap 15.5, and it seems 15.6 will ship with 5.27.11 (at least the beta has it)

For out-of-date packages, there are many official repos from download.opensuse.org you can add for any specific one you need.

Just have in mind any XFS partitions you created on Tumbleweed won’t mount out-of-the box on Leap, as XFS partitions created with newer kernels use features not available on old ones.

I say this as I needed to reformat some of mine when migrating one of my machines to Leap, as I needed that one to keep on plasma 5. Luckily, I had a spare SSD to move data around while reformatting the ones I needed.

The only official repos are listed here:
https://en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories

1 Like

You are right, I used the wrong word.

I meant those repositories that, although not officially supported by openSUSE, are maintained in collaboration with external projects.

Like some listed here: Additional package repositories - openSUSE Wiki

But, again, you are absolutely right. Saying they are official is wrong and can lead to wrong assumptions.

Thanks for the heads-up!

You can try Slowroll.

I’m not sure how this would pertain to the OP’s issue? Simply changing the repos to the Slowroll repos will do nothing to undo the upgrade to Plasma 6. The OP is going to have to manually uninstall all Plasma 6 and KDE packages, then start over unfortunately.

I should have locked plasma 5, so now it’s too late.

Sadly, there are no other options. Now you know though. It may actually be easier to start over entirely.

Unless either your drive is not compatible, or your use case does not allow for it, I would recommend using Btrfs as the default in future installs. It really is a game changer for situations like this.

Go look at the Slowroll repos. They have Plasma 5, no Plasma 6 yet.
It will roll him back to before Plasma 6.

If you can’t restore a backup, as others have suggested, switch to Slowroll or Leap and buy some time.

If you’re going to stick with KDE you may eventually have to face the same issues. Consider pressing on and helping to resolving any issues. Presumably other people would be having similar problems and would be able to help, and your input might help them too.

Go look at the Slowroll repos. They have Plasma 5, no Plasma 6 yet.
It will roll him back to before Plasma 6.

No…I’m afraid that’s not how it works. Simply by switching repos will not somehow uninstall what has already been installed. Zypper does not work that way.

Unless of course, you mean for the OP to do a fresh install with Slowroll.

For initial install, you can use the DVD iso from http://download.opensuse.org/slowroll/iso/ but leave online repositories disabled (so it does not pull in newer Tumbleweed packages from online repos). You can also switch directly from any actual Leap or Tumbleweed release to Slowroll by replacing the repositories.

“Switch”! It’ll switch the desktop to Plasma 5.

No. Please try to learn and understand the basics of package management.
In the Slowroll case there won‘t be a downgrade if you have already Plasma 6 as Plasma 6 is higher than Plasma 5. It is only a exchange of repos and a zypper dup does not downgrade anything by default.

The Leap case is different. There it is possible to downgrade the distribution.

BUT: It is never recommended to do a complete distribution downgrade. Your databases and settings might break beyond recognition as they are in most cases not downwards compatible. You need to have a high level of experience to deal with such topics.

1 Like

@tpe Hi, new snapshot release with 6.0.3 Plasma items, try another dup and see how it goes?

“Switch”! It’ll switch the desktop to Plasma 5.

You don’t seem to understand that the meaning of “switch” does not mean that packages installed will be downgraded. As someone else here already pointed out, you don’t seem to understand how package management works. Having Slowroll would have prevented this from happening, but does nothing for the OP’s current situation.

The OP specifically asked if it was possible downgrade the Plasma 6 desktop without a snapshot, and the answer is no, their is no simple way to do that. Their only real option is to reinstall whole OS from an older snapshot(easier), or manually go through, one by one, reinstalling Plasma while resolving conflicts as they arise(harder).

Out of curiosity I switched repositories to the oldest available Tumbleweed snapshot 20240304 and run zypper dup. Zypper suggested to reinstall somewhat 1000+ packages and to remove 200+ of them (mostly related to KDE 6). Surprisingly there was just one minor technical conflict. After about 20% zypper downgraded systemd and it kicked me out of login session. Fortunately I was able to login again and resume zypper dup. After it finished and system was rebooted I found myself in KDE5.

Sure, a lot of KDE6 libraries and components remained, but that did not prevent KDE5 from starting and that was the actual question.

Now, that was a test (VM) system using only standard Tumbleweed repositories. But downgrade from KDE6 to KDE5 is most certainly possible and actually rather simple to perform.

1 Like

Sure, a lot of KDE6 libraries and components remained, but that did not prevent KDE5 from starting and that was the actual question.

Interesting.

My question is are there any unseen conflicts or breakage that has yet to become evident?

I have done desktop downgrades in the past where everything appears to go smoothly, and even runs well for awhile. Then, gradually, the breakage starts to show.