Recent upgrade to Plasma 6 is terrible

Recent upgrade to Plasma 6 is terrible inopportune untimely and not well tested. On 1 PC with FullHD monitor upgrade run smoothly however after reboot some windows frames are flickering.

On another with 4K resolution everything is terrible:

• fonts and windows in plasma 6 and sddm are very small, so again need to deal with HiDPI problem somehow. Scaling to 200% does not help - still looks terrible.
  • windows are flickering
  • many plasma widgets do not work with 6th version
  • monitor refresh rate is only 30 Hz while it should be 60 or 120 Hz
  • tried to downgrade to previous tumbleweed snapshot but seems some settings in home dir are broken, so plasma 5 crashes
  • reverted back to latest snapshot - now plasma 6 crashes - nothing works

What to do? Reinstall? To what version: latest or previous? I’ll lost some apps in snapd settings as well. What settings to clear in home dir in order to run plasma 5 or 6? Thanks!

3 Likes

Create a new user, login as that user. Test the configs from your old user to find out what’s causing the problem.

That can take ages! Where to take previous version ISO file?

1 Like

There isn’t one. That’s not how Tumbleweed works.

On recent zypper ref/dup it removed sddm and plasma completely, so only way to reinstall. Terrible!!! Is there on older iso to download?

There is not. And the first time you ran zypper dup you would be upgraded right back into Plasma6

zypper dup to the previous snapshot left a lot of plasma 6 packages so rolling release are also broken need to reinstall all packages manually.

You can not zypper dup back into an older Tumbleweed snapshot (well you can, but that is not supported at all).

You can however roll back to an earlier Btrfs snapshot on your system.

Do not get confused by the word “snapshot” used by different areas of computing.

Try to rollback to an older snapshot. Worked for me.

And I totally agree, updating to Plasma 6 was an awful experience. Thanks to heavens that snapshots exists.

1 Like

Hi,
I am running TW with KDE desktop.
I thought I was the only one with these problems but it appears not. I have now tried on two systems and both are unusable. Fortunately my systems are running on btrfs and I had plenty of snapshots from which to chose. I went back about 7 days because I have had several issues of late with Dolphin, Network Manager and others.

When I reboot to the newly updated system my X11 desktop has gone and I must either select Wayland or ICEWM. Wayland desktop offered didn’t work but IceWM worked but of course I am not familiar with it and had not idea how to fix my desktop to be how I use it.

The snapshots worked fine and also made it possible to re-connect to the WAN, impossible before with borked systems.

I am inclined to agree that the upgrade to Plasma 6 seems premature. I wonder what machines were used for testing purposes. Meanwhile what is best route to recovery? Does this mean that Plasma 6 will not support X11?

I’m writing this from Plasma 6 Tumbleweed machine with X11.

Ya it’s the upgrades fault, not the obvious issues your install was already having.

Major upgrades over existing issues tend to balloon those issues.

And everything described in this thread looks like Wayland problems, so perhaps the Wayland default was premature (at least for some systems) but choosing an X11 session should fix most things for the time being?

1 Like

Or better yet, what I’m doing:

Avoiding this first Plasma 6 “release” (for TW), altogether (6.0.1). Won’t zypper dup at least until 6.0.4.

You can see the Future Releases schedule here:

https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_6#Future_releases

1 Like

That is the best suggestion yet but how can I omit Plasma from zypper dup?

Yes, works for me now too, however forced to manually remove many plasma 6 packages and reinstall plasma 5.

Yeah, will stay on 20240310 for now. How to prevent it from upgrading - freeze snapshot version?

Just don’t update for a while and wait until is fixed. Looking at the schedule posted above I’ll wait until July, lol :rofl:

Good luck with your vulnerable system then…

1 Like

If an update crash the whole system, it’s already vulnerable.

Hmmm, the vast amount of users did not have a problem whilst upgrading…only a handful of ppl crashed their systems…