Micro OS problems with snapper and grub plguin

I try to upgrade the system but I have a problem with Snapper
The partial log is the following:

Server-side plugin '/usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub' failed.
ERROR: `snapper create --from 43 --read-write --cleanup-algorithm number --print-number --description 'Snapshot Update of #43' --userdata 'transactional-update-in-progress=yes'` returned with error code 1.

after run sudo transactional-update up or any other commands that need snapper.
By running snapper --debug create --from 43 --read-write --cleanup-algorithm number --print-number --description 'Snapshot Update of #43' --userdata 'transactional-update-in-progress=yes' manually I obtain the following:

constructing ProxySnapper object
executing command
server: /usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub --refresh exit-status: 1
exit-status: 1

So I try to run /usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub --refresh but nothing is logged.

How can I fix that situation?

The full log is:

Checking for newer version.
New version found - updating...
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Retrieving: transactional-update-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64 (openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss)                                                                                                (1/1),  71.2 KiB    
Retrieving: transactional-update-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ...................................................................................................................................[done]
(1/1) /tmp/transactional-update.jFBTf5rObb/repo-oss/x86_64/transactional-update-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ....................................................................................[done]
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Retrieving: libtukit4-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64 (openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss)                                                                                                           (1/2), 165.7 KiB    
Retrieving: libtukit4-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ................................................................................................................................[done (279.3 KiB/s)]
(1/2) /tmp/transactional-update.jFBTf5rObb/repo-oss/x86_64/libtukit4-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ...............................................................................................[done]
Retrieving: tukit-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64 (openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss)                                                                                                               (2/2),  69.1 KiB    
Retrieving: tukit-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ......................................................................................................................................[done (2.5 KiB/s)]
(2/2) /tmp/transactional-update.jFBTf5rObb/repo-oss/x86_64/tukit-4.6.0-2.1.x86_64.rpm ...................................................................................................[done]
transactional-update 4.6.0 started
Options: up
Separate /var detected.
2024-03-29 14:02:34 tukit 4.6.0 started
2024-03-29 14:02:34 Options: -c43 open 
ERROR: `snapper create --from 43 --read-write --cleanup-algorithm number --print-number --description 'Snapshot Update of #43' --userdata 'transactional-update-in-progress=yes'` returned with error code 1.
transactional-update finished

@zuo just to confirm, your using transactional-update dup not up? Have you edited grub config at all, if you did did your run transactional-update grub.cfg afterwards and reboot?

Disk space ok?

It is not the full log. At least the command invocation is missing.

I have the same errore with dup,up and grub.cfg

I seem to be experiencing the same situation with openSUSE Aeon.

To provide a bit of context:
A few days ago, right after the very first menu screen, where one can choose to either start Aeon normally or with advanced options or boot into UEFI instead, I got a black screen with a cryptic error message I cannot remember anymore. As I would love to provide some helpful logs here, is it safe to use ā€œtransactional-update statusā€, despite it being marked as experimental? And if so, how can I override the experimental flag?

Anyway, I managed to get into a ā€œrecovery modeā€ and there I ran ā€œsudo transactional-update rollback lastā€. Apparently, it worked and Aeon booted successfully. I felt like a genius. :smiley:

However, since then Iā€™ve been missing update notifications about applications and new system images, that would otherwise pop up almost daily. I hoped to fix all of this with ā€œsudo transactional-update dupā€ and Aeon tells me this:

##Checking for newer version.
Options: dup
Separate /var detected.
2024-04-15 21:03:20 tukit 4.6.0 started
2024-04-15 21:03:20 Options: -c12 open
Server-side plugin ā€˜/usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grubā€™ failed.
ERROR: snapper create --from 12 --read-write --cleanup-algorithm number --print-number --description 'Snapshot Update of #12' --userdata 'transactional-update-in-progress=yes' returned with error code 1.

Of course, GRUB itself appears to be installed:

S | Name | Summary | Type
ā€”Ā±------------------------Ā±------------------------------------------------------Ā±-----
i | grub2 | Bootloader with support for Linux, Multiboot and more | Paket
i | grub2-branding-openSUSE | openSUSE Tumbleweed branding for GRUB2 | Paket
i | grub2-i386-pc | Bootloader with support for Linux, Multiboot and more | Paket
i | grub2-snapper-plugin | Grub2ā€™s snapper plugin | Paket
i+ | grub2-x86_64-efi | Bootloader with support for Linux, Multiboot and more | Paket

After that, I tried ā€œsudo transactional-update bootloaderā€ and ā€œsudo transactional-update grub.cfgā€, with and without the ā€œā€“continueā€ option. Both results in the aforementioned error, only altering the third line ā€œOptionsā€, by replacing the ā€œdupā€ parameter accordingly. The same goes for ā€œsudo transactional-update pkg update grubā€.

And trying ā€œsudo transactional-update applyā€ leads to this output:

Checking for newer version.
Options: apply
Separate /var detected.

Using default snapshot 12 to replace running systemā€¦
Applying /usrā€¦
Applying /etcā€¦
Applying /bootā€¦
Executing systemctl daemon-reexecā€¦
Executing create_dirs_from_rpmdbā€¦
Executing systemd-tmpfiles --createā€¦
=> Applied default snapshot as new base for running system!
Running processes will not be restarted automatically.

If I then reboot, the challenges seem to persist. GNOME Software still lets me update Flatpaks manually, but Iā€™d rather have the base system be updated as well. And of course, Iā€™d love it all to happen automatically as it did before. :slight_smile:

Is there a way of fixing the system without performing a fresh installation? And if so, how could it be done?

PS: Recently I set up some udev rules for a USB device to work, but there are no random RPMs installed from within ā€œtransactional-updateā€. I only use Flatpaks, a Tumbleweed Distrobox and one single AppImage from within that particular Distrobox instead. I presume the error was caused by some corrupted system update. For example: The energysaver / balanced / performance modes were removed from GNOME by such a previous update for whatever reason. I hope theyā€™ll somehow magically re-appear, though. :smiley:

Some rudimentary system information:

Systemdetailsbericht

Berichtdetails

• Erstellungsdatum: 2024-04-15 21:22:02

Hardware-Informationen:

• Hardware-Modell: TUXEDO TUXEDO Aura 14 Gen3
  • Speicher: 16,0 GiB
  • Prozessor: 12th Gen IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i5-1235U Ɨ 12
  • Grafik: IntelĀ® Graphics (ADL GT2)
  • FestplattenkapazitƤt: 1,0 TB

Software-Informationen:

• Firmware-Version: 1.07.09RTR
  • Name des Betriebssystems: openSUSE MicroOS
  • Betriebssystem-Build: (null)
  • Betriebssystem-Typ: 64-bit
  • GNOME-Version: 46
  • Fenstermanager: Wayland
  • Kernel-Version: Linux 6.8.2-1-default

If I can help by providing any more detailed or specific logs to resolve this, please, let me know where to find them and Iā€™ll provide. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@userwithoutname asking the Aeon folks on Matrix, not had any issues here on HP Hardwareā€¦

1 Like

@userwithoutname Can you post your udev rules created?

Yes - find out why snaper plugin fails. It is rather simple script that just edits files in /.snapshots. It does not do any logging, so I see as the only way to debug - change the current snapshot to read-write, edit /usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub, add set -x on top to get execution trace, change the current snapshot back to read-only and try to create new snapshot. Post complete command invocation and its full output.

@malcolmlewis Sure, here is the content of ā€œ/etc/udev/rules.d/51-trezor.rulesā€:

> # Trezor: The Original Hardware Wallet
> # https://trezor.io/
> #
> # Put this file into /etc/udev/rules.d
> #
> # If you are creating a distribution package,
> # put this into /usr/lib/udev/rules.d or /lib/udev/rules.d
> # depending on your distribution
> 
> # Trezor
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="534c", ATTR{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl", SYMLINK+="trezor%n"
> KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="534c", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0001", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"
> 
> # Trezor v2
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1209", ATTR{idProduct}=="53c0", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl", SYMLINK+="trezor%n"
> SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1209", ATTR{idProduct}=="53c1", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl", SYMLINK+="trezor%n"
> KERNEL=="hidraw*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1209", ATTRS{idProduct}=="53c1", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", TAG+="uaccess", TAG+="udev-acl"

For the device (ā€œTrezor Safe 3ā€) to work, I also set up a Tumbleweed Distrobox and therein installed at least some libnss packages, as well as fuse2. The AppImage (ā€œTrezor Suiteā€) I use to interact with it, is marked as executable from within that particular container and from within the host. Also, I added a RPM (ā€œTrezor Bridgeā€) to the container, downloaded from ā€œTrezor Bridgeā€, see below.

> S  | Name        | Summary               | Type
> ---+-------------+-----------------------+--------
> i+ | trezor-udev | Udev rules for TREZOR | package

Since I added no RPMs to the host itself and the mentioned additions / changes actually work fine for a few weeks now, I hope none of the actions above are the cause for GRUB suddenly going crazy.

Despite that hope, I have to confess, that there are two more Tumbleweed containers to which I tried to do the same treatments before, representing the first iterations of my final solution for getting the Trezor Safe 3 to work. But these other containers are somehow broken (for whatever reason) and literally cannot be deleted (at least with the Distrobox commands I tried so far). So, they just exist, being inactive, doing absolutely nothing.

However, I hope all provided information is actually relevant and does neither overwhelm, nor distract from the actual cause. Therefore, if I digress too much in any way, please, let me know. ^^

@arvidjaar To set a snapshot to ā€œread-writeā€, I presume you suggest cd /.snapshots && chmod +rw snapshotname, right?

I can find the ā€œ.snapshotsā€ folder with cd / && ls -a.
But if trying to cd into it, bash tells me, that I lack permissions:
bash: cd: /.snapshots: Keine Berechtigung.

However, if I use sudo cd /.snapshots, bash throws the following lines at me:

sudo: cd: Befehl nicht gefunden sudo: Ā»cd"Ā« ist ein Shell-internes Kommando, das nicht direkt gestartet werden kann. sudo: Die Option Ā»-sĀ« kann zum Start einer privilegierten Shell verwendet werden. sudo: Die Option Ā»-DĀ« kann zum Start des Programms im angegebenen Verzeichnis verwendet werden.

Do I have to use rescue mode for this to work or perhaps entirely different commands? Thanks again.

No.

btrfs property set /.snapshots ro false

check with

btrfs property get /.snapshots

You need to be root.

As the message says - you cannot start internal shell command, you can only start the shell itself. And the right way to do it is either

sudo -i

or

su -
1 Like

@arvidjaar Thanks for your help! As far as I can tell, it seems to work now. :partying_face:

First, I ran the suggested btrfs commands with sudo -i.
The second step was sudo -i vim /usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub, adding the -x to the file. But after telling Vim to :wq!, it returned, that the file was read-only.
So, I hoped to fix this by executing sudo -i chmod +w on that particular file. The error persisted. I rebooted the machine and gave it another shot. Still, Vim refused to overwrite it.

But regardless, I successfully updated the system with sudo transactional-update dup, followed by sudo transactional-update cleanup and sudo transactional-update reboot. GNOME immediately showed a notification about the success of this update.

During the following reboot, less error messages appeared, especially those regarding ACPI.

Anyway, back in GNOME I ran sudo -i btrfs property set /.snapshots ro true.

And I noticed something rather nice:
All power modes are available again, from both within the GNOME system settings and the taskbar menu on the upper right as well, letting me enable energy saving mode again. :star_struck:

I will continue to observe and check, whether the system is updating itself automatically and as reliably as right after installing Aeon. I hope GNOME software does its job and just keeps working. :smiley:

And thanks again! I really appreciate you taking your time to help. The same goes for @malcolmlewis, of course.

Namaste. :pray:

Update: As of now, I still donā€™t get any notifications about new updates to be installed, regardless of which energy mode GNOME is in. Updates only work by manually running sudo transactional-update dup.

I again wanted to provide some helpful logs, but still canā€™t figure out how to get /usr/lib/snapper/plugins/grub to be writable.
That said, both chmod +w and btrfs property set ro false seem to have zero effect on this, even if used with sudo -i or even su.
So, I recursively checked, on what parent directory of said file they would work. Apparently, it would do so on /. But, of course, I avoided giving into it. :smiley:

Then, searching the web, I found this site here: https://documentation.suse.com/smart/systems-management/html/Micro-transactional-updates/index.html

On that very site, the command sudo systemctl --now disable transactional-update.timer is mentioned, in the context of disabling automatic updates. I figured, why not do the opposite then? sudo systemctl --now enable transactional-update.timer seems to have done exactly that. I tried it on another machine, having lacked automatic updates as well.

After this, systemctl status transactional-update.timer outputs:

ā— transactional-update.timer - Daily update of the system
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/transactional-update.timer; enable>
Active: active (waiting) since Sat 2024-04-20 19:21:26 CEST; 27min ago
Trigger: Sun 2024-04-21 01:00:43 CEST; 5h 11min left
Triggers: ā— transactional-update.service
Docs: man:transactional-update(8)

Warning: some journal files were not opened due to insufficient permissions.
lines 1-8/8 (END)

Since the outputted date implies, that the automatic update service is only active as of now, because I just toggled it, I strongly believe this to be the final solution.

Iā€™ll keep observing and posting updates about this, should there be are any.

Today, I noticed automatic updates working again on my main rigā€¦

oh_yes

So, the same should be true for my laptop, which I shall verify later.
Consider it so, if I refrain from adding further updates to this thread.

Now, to hold back people from just re-installing Aeon / Kalpa in case something unexpected happens, I hereby propose displaying an obtrusive pop-up right after installing the distro and of course also, just before overwriting any installed instance, asserting: ā€œIf somethingā€™s broken, at least try to fix it. Itā€™s probably possible.ā€ :smiley:

But jokes aside and despite this little challenge we experienced, Aeon still is the most reliable OS Iā€™ve ever used; Which is quite respectable, considering itā€™s RC state and also, being a rolling release.

Anyway, enjoy your day.
Peace out. :v: