KDE Plasma 6 is out

Good news Plasma 6 is to be Snapshot 11032024

2 Likes

Are you sure? I looked at the diff earlier today and it seems only Applications 24.02 is going to be available:

https://openqa.opensuse.org/snapshot-changes/opensuse/Tumbleweed/diff/20240311

1 Like

in the packages changed, it lists: patterns-kde and in the notes for that change it lists:

• Replace the plasma5 pattern with the plasma6 one

This means we could install the plasma 6 pattern in Yast, I think? Fingers crossed, very much looking forward to trying it out

4 Likes

Are we there yet?

2 Likes

Openqa just finished running for Tumbleweed, so maybe weā€™re close.

5 Likes

FYI ā€œKDE Megarelease 6 in TW snapshot 20240311ā€ from the Factory ML: KDE Megarelease 6 in TW snapshot 20240311 - openSUSE Factory - openSUSE Mailing Lists

5 Likes

Oh good ā€¦ and all the eager beavers will be back here after the update, with complaints and
how do i fix xxxx :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@aggie, if youā€™re displeased by bug reports, alternatively, weā€™d need to hire 2 x the amount of testing staff. If youā€™re displeased by people not reading the mailing list, the solution is to provide patch notes to users after an upgrade.

Understood:
"There are a few minor issues in this snapshot found by openQA ā€¦
ā€¦
Theyā€™ll all be fixed with Plasma 6.0.2 in one of the next snapshots ".

ā€œnext snapshotsā€ could be 1, or could 8 or more - in the meantime, one is running crippled ā€¦ Iā€™ll stay un-crippled until 6.0.2 :+1:

From sudo zypper dup, Iā€™m getting

Problem: the to be installed plasma6-workspace-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64 requires 'cmake(Plasma) >= 6.0.1', but this requirement cannot be provided
  not installable providers: libplasma6-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64[download.opensuse.org-oss]
                   libplasma6-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64[https-download.opensuse.org-1ff5d8a2]
                   libplasma6-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64[https-download.opensuse.org-5dda65be]
                   libplasma6-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64[openSUSE-20230920-0]
 Solution 1: Following actions will be done:
  keep obsolete plasma5-workspace-devel-5.27.10-3.2.x86_64
  keep obsolete plasma5-workspace-libs-5.27.10-3.2.x86_64
 Solution 2: Following actions will be done:
  deinstallation of plasma-framework-devel-5.115.0-1.1.x86_64
  deinstallation of krunner-devel-5.115.0-1.1.x86_64
 Solution 3: deinstallation of plasma5-workspace-devel-5.27.10-3.2.x86_64
 Solution 4: break plasma6-workspace-devel-6.0.1-1.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/3/4/c/d/?] (c): 3

Deinstallation merely means installation of the replacement, right? So 3 is safe? I donā€™t want to stupidly remove my DEā€¦ XD

Yes, solution 3 should be right.
But as can be easily seen at your output, you have a messed up repo list. You used 1-click reposā€¦

https-download.opensuse.org-1ff5d8a2
https-download.opensuse.org-5dda65be
openSUSE-20230920-0

You should have checked your repo list prior upgradingā€¦

1 Like

No problems at all to upgrade to Plasma 6:

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20240311
KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.1
KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
Qt Version: 6.6.2
Kernel Version: 6.7.7-1-default (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: Wayland

1 Like

Yep. It has been duly regretted. Happened earlier in my Linux journey. Probably due for an OS reinstall soon.

Well, Iā€™m jumping in. Somebody has to complain and report bugs. :wink:
Seriously. With the speed of TW updates I think most things will be smoothed out pretty quickly. I know, KDE might take a while but the big bugs shouldnā€™t live long.

Iā€™ve been around since the KDE 2>3 upgrade. I downloaded all of the packages from KDE, uninstalled all of KDE from Mandrake and did the update in console. It went really well. Itā€™ll be done shortly. Hereā€™s to hope!

Oh, if you donā€™t have Bluetooth disable KDE Connect in the tray. They say that causes a 25 second pause when booting and I want to get right in there and have a look.

I tried to do the upgrade ā€¦ but it did NOT go well for me. Halfway through my zypper dup, it just crashes the entire system to a login screen. So I log back in and try again: same thing. Reboot: same thing. I canā€™t seem to get past whatever is causing that. And the terminal goes by at a thousand mph so I canā€™t even read what packages / errors / etc is even being listed. Itā€™s like an instant after I press ā€œyā€ itā€™s sitting at the login prompt.

Had to snapper back to an older snapshot since it left me with half installed 5.x and half 6.0.

Any ideas to help perhaps?

1 Like

ctrl-alt-f4 or some other f-key until you get to a tty, and run the upgrade there.

1 Like

or boot to runlevel 3 to install.

Finally, got the updateā€¦

Graphics platform is X11. How do I change it to wayland?

Also, there is no noticeable difference to the previous version of plasma. Looks exactly the same.

After upgrading, everything went smooth and great, except that SDDM and login configuration couldnā€™t be found in System Settings.:thinking: The current Plasma 6 ā€œDesktop Sessionā€ looks incomplete.

Because youā€™re probably using your same user account, and itā€™s picking up all your old configs from Plasma 5. Some of which will carry over.

1 Like