KDE Plasma 6 is out

The more I read about AMD gpu in Linux, the more I’m convinced it’s a bit of a shit-show right now (at least for Zen4 and forward)

I’m regretting buying the AMD 7840U version for my Framework 13, should’ve sticked with Intel which worked fine for me for years. But this chip on paper looked so superior, that I had to give it a try.

Power consumption when HW decoding videos is also a joke so far, my 11th gen Intel would use <half the wattage (talking ~5 vs ~13W on youtube).

But I digress…

OMG! I wish I found this earlier! Is this a recent addition? I thought that only Ubuntu PPAs and some AUR repos existed for KDE testing (plus maybe some other more obscure or complicated distro, like NixOS)

I’ve had surprisingly painless results with intel arc a380s on linux though I admit to some headaches in the past with the whole dp → hdmi there also. I’m tempted on next upgrade just to go with one of the more expensive next gen intel gpus. It probably depends over next 6 months if AMD or Intel ends up getting some interesting magic integration between cpu/igpu and gpu on linux. I don’t think I’ll be going with intel on cpu side any time soon.
I do have a ryzen 5825u laptop. With auto cpu freq, battery life has been pretty great. I’d have expected with hardware av1 for videos and such in 7000 ryzen mobile it would be even better…

@butcherbird I have an A380 running here on a test system, old motherboard, but still works… I need to look at a new M/B and cpu, I’ll go intel though… I hear AMD are keeping their good chips for OEM @cutterjohn has some insight on this… Probably worth a new thread…

1 Like

KDE 6 is available with Experimental repos.
Wait for KDE 6.0.1 or 6.1 at least, too many bugs right now.

3 Likes

I agree with @Svyatko … I never use a version x.0 of any software product

(retired software engineer :slight_smile: )

Strange thing to say regarding a rolling release distro.

5 Likes

Good sensible advice to hold off installing Plasma 6 too soon.

I also have Tumbleweed on a spare p/c and was really keen to see Plasma 6 - with Opensuse - so used the test repo:

https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Frameworks/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/

Mostly worked fine and Plasma 6 looks good. The only very minor issue I had was with setting a start-up sound. I suspect that this may be a software issue as I had a similar problem with a test p/c with Neon installed.

1 Like

i’m using kde plasma 6 since rc2 and to be honest flawless experience on tumbleweed .

2 Likes

…“Strange thing to say regarding a rolling release distro.”

In my opinion…no it is not strange to say about a rolling distro as it probably will not be X.0 when implemented and released. “Experimental” repos is what the word says.

2 Likes

I also used the above-mentioned repo to upgrade to KDE Frameworks and Plasma 6, however, it broke my system due to some missing files. Going back to Plasma 5 was a nightmare. According to the factory maling list, “staging turns out to be messy” at the moment (Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2024/09 - openSUSE Factory - openSUSE Mailing Lists), so I will just wait.

2 Likes

I installed openSUSE Krypton with KDE 6 on QEMU/KVM. Looking good.

5 Likes

I definitely agree with the title of this thread.
kde-plasma-6 is out as far as I am concerned. In fact, all versions of kde-plasma have been Out! for me for the past few years after they drove me away.
I am sticking to Xfce.

1 Like

Xfce is a good choice. In xfce you can still taste some part of kde-plasma inside xfce if you
want. :wink:
My favorite in xfce is the right mouse-click. I always miss it whenever I try a different DE.

1 Like

Thanks! for the reminder about Krypton … installing now in VBox to test it out.
I’m happy with how KDE Plasma 5 is now, but curious to see the newest version.

I have the KDE-base pattern installed (but not KDE-applications). Will this automatically upgrade to Plasma 6 when it’s out? I read somewhere that OpenSUSE will keep Plasma 5 in the repos as well (as it will still receive bugfixes for some time), so now I’m confused.

1 Like

It is not even released on Tumbleweed yet. Better wait until official announcements?

5 Likes

JFYI from the Factory ML:
“KDE Frameworks and Plasma 6: Lots of progress since last week. By now we reached the QA phase. Optimistic souls bet on next week (no promises though!).
KDE Gear 24.02.0: Requires KDE Frameworks 6 and will land at the same time.”
(Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2024/10 - openSUSE Factory - openSUSE Mailing Lists)

3 Likes

As per a hint from @raijar post earlier in here, I installed Krypton to get a glimpse into whatever is new and changed. I had it running in a VBox, but have removed it a couple of days ago.

Personally, I’m not sitting on the edge of my seat for it, so I’ll wait (to upgrade to it) until way after it’s released, and all the complaints have somewhat subsided :slight_smile:

Still on countdown here

1 Like