How do I get rid of the nepomuk virus?

I’m sick to death of that bloody nepomuk server running, and re-installing itself!

I tell it through settings NOT to run, and I even delete the binaries but the blasted thing keeps coming back!!!

This is the same behaviour as computer viruses.

I don’t like it, I don’t want it, I don’t use it, so please give me my power of choice back!

Interesting choice of name for the thing too, did you know that “Nepomuk” was Hitler’s grandfather?

Are the devs trying to send us a sublime message? That this is the beginning of a Linux dictatorship perhaps?

hmm :sarcastic:

Nepomuk is also a township in Czec Republic and the Name of a Saint “John of Nepomuk” that was born originally in this place.
No subliminar messages I think.

Seems more a bug of 4.2.4. Tried to google it up? I found that it is very strongly integrated in 4.x and that at least in 2008 it was missing a part called sesame2, and for this very reason it was “extremely slow”](https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/soprano/+bug/277032).
I would guess it is just a bug.

I just have this disabled and have no issues with it.

Interesting info about the name. But I wouldn’t read too much in to it. Some people might call that Paranoia - But I’m :X

Killing Nepomuk is a lot trickier than killing beagle, I think the developers have found out about mere users being able to get rid of beagle by simpling uninstalling all beagle packages (but libbeagle) in yast and make sure this won’t work :wink:

I’ll post a recipe for KDE 4.3, hopefully the Nepomuk devs won’t find out…

1. In Personal settings/Advanced tab/Desktop search:
    • Disable checkbox for “Nepomuk Semantic Desktop”
    • Disable checkbox for “Strigi Desktop File Indexer”

This “disables” Nepomuk and Strigi. However, depending on your CPU and memory, nepomukserver will still be run and eat 1-15% of your computers ressources. So:

1. On the commandline:

cd /usr/share/autostart

Make nepomukserver not run in autostart

sudo mv nepomukserver.desktop nepomukserver.desktop.goaway

Now kill the current nepomukserver

ps -C nepomukserver -o pid= | xargs kill

Nepomuk is almost gone now. Depending on how long it has infected^W enriched your Linux experience, there’s still considerable amounts of data on your harddrive, wasted. Unless your disk space is expensive (SSD) you can ignore that. Otherwise you can get rid of that by:

1. On the command line:

cd $HOME/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk
    rm -rf *

The next KDE update probably will reinstall nepomukserver.desktop into /usr/share/autostart again, so you might think about scripting its removable. Sorry, there’s nothing to be done about that.

Hope this helps,

Nice one, thanks koehli :).

I tried deleting the binaries but the darned thing comes straight back, I didn’t know about the stuff in /usr/share/autostart.

I really wish suse would stick to standard /etc files for autostarting and configuring things!

Also a good point about drive space on SSD drives, I hope to be switching to one in the near future when I buy a new laptop. And it certainly makes a lot of difference in that case.

Plus a standard commandline search should be mega-fast on an SSD anyway!

Glad I read this, I was wandering what this nepomuk was, since it showed up in the monitor. Got rid of beagle as well and the laptop is flying faster. Looked up nepomuk and got a page and a half of guff, all of which did not really explain what it was actually for. Though I am a believer in if you do not understand it then you probably do not need it, there is some reference to gwenview and, increasingly other programmes having a hard requirement for it.
Can someone explain what it is a what use there is for it.

Dwarfer99 adjusted his/her AFDB on Saturday 08 Aug 2009 10:26 to write:

>
> Glad I read this, I was wandering what this nepomuk was, since it showed
> up in the monitor. Got rid of beagle as well and the laptop is flying
> faster. Looked up nepomuk and got a page and a half of guff, all of
> which did not really explain what it was actually for. Though I am a
> believer in if you do not understand it then you probably do not need
> it, there is some reference to gwenview and, increasingly other
> programmes having a hard requirement for it.
> Can someone explain what it is a what use there is for it.
>
>

Nepomuk:

<<snip>>

A definition of Semantic Desktop was given (Sauermann et al. 2005):

A Semantic Desktop is a device in which an individual stores all her
digital information like documents, multimedia and messages. These are
interpreted as Semantic Web resources, each is identified by a Uniform
Resource Identifier (URI) and all data is accessible and queryable as RDF
graph. Resources from the web can be stored and authored content can be
shared with others. Ontologies allow the user to express personal mental
models and form the semantic glue interconnecting information and systems.
Applications respect this and store, read and communicate via ontologies and
Semantic Web protocols. The Semantic Desktop is an enlarged supplement to
the user’s memory.

<<pins>>

Now when I see that much WEB2.0 speak I think " Hum… there be wyrms" and
call BS.

Why not just say it is another search and index application that also can
help share info on what the files are and what they contain so applications
can recognise them.

In other words more stupid apps that will slow your machine down, use more
resources and provide diddly squat in return, now if I was in a tree hugging
mode I would wonder at how many trees have been cut down to supply the power
to allow the computers to run this type of application, after all I disable
all such on my machines straight after install and they work fine so who
needs them?

This type of thing, strigi, beagle, nepomuk etc…etc… should be an addon
NOT A DEFAULTt!!!111eleventyone

:slight_smile:

I hope the devs have taken note that hardly anyone wants this and people
would like option to install not have to resort to root privs and
commandline to remove stuff…

Arggghhh! this makes my blood boil!!!

/rant off

Probably only get a 4/10 for that, not enough spilling errurs.

:slight_smile:

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

So, pretty much, if you have a need for these things then it is potentially a fantastic thing, if not then it is a pain in the mickta. Definitely should be a optional addon then.

System monitor says nepomuk is using 4m of ram and zero cpu in Milestone 5. When does it start using resources?

And beagle wasn’t installed by default.

If it’s using RAM, it already is/has. It is using 4m of my 128M 533MHz Pentium III machine. I’m constantly at the ege of swapping, and nepomuk doesn’t help. Furthermore, at every boot, the startup costs extra seconds. Plus I’ve got another program running (a totally useless “manually disabled” one), possibly introducing bugs that can be exploited to breach my system.

That’s totally bonkers. You don’t see Apache running and burning mem, if it’s not running. You don’t see Vsftpd running and burning mem, if it’s not running. None of the other servers does that. That’s the reason, why Linux is fast. Nepomukserver really acts like a spoiled little brat :stuck_out_tongue:

And beagle wasn’t installed by default.

It is/was, at least if you also install the gnome desktop. In all desktop installations of 11.0 and 11.1 I made, beagle was installed. In no case I explicitely selected beagle. It always came as part of gnome or KDE.

Notice @koehli
User is refering to 11.2 M5

lol, well said baskitcase, I’m with you totally there :wink:

• baskitcaise wrote, On 08/08/2009 12:34 PM:

> This type of thing, strigi, beagle, nepomuk etc…etc… should be an addon
> NOT A DEFAULTt!!!

If it would work without a trace in the background, flawlessly, I would appreciate it as a default. The problem is, it doesn’t. Happens too often these days, poor beta software gets released to public, people blame the concept itself rather than the poor implementation.

Uwe

The 11.5million€ which the EU gave out to implement this probably had something to do with half finished rushed jobs.>:(

• Dwarfer99 wrote, On 08/09/2009 10:06 PM:
    > The 11.5million€ which the EU gave out to implement this probably had
    > something to do with half finished rushed jobs.>:(

The project lasted for 3 years, so they weren’t really in a hurry, IMHO.
And AFAIK it was more than 11.5 millions :slight_smile:

Uwe