Grub legacy or Grub 2 in 11.3

Which is the version of the default GRUB which gets installed on an openSUSE 11.3 install by default ? I heard 11.3 comes with both the GRUB legacy as well as GRUB 2. Does the installer give an option in choosing between the two ?

Both are available but grub legacy is installed by default. I didn’t notice if the option during install to choose one over the other was available or not.

Personally I don’t much care for grub2

Yes I agree there is not much improvement in GRUB 2 other than the support for booting ISO images directly from hard drive, supporting conditional statements and few other stuff in config files. Also, customizing splash images for GRUB2 is easier than the legacy GRUB

Someone said there were not improvements?

Grub2 is inbred.

Take time to learn how to use both.
It’s no use making baseless accusations or generalisations, comments that are at best without substance.
Grub legacy is installed with 11.3, but grub to is packaged also.

My bad but there isnt any substantial material available for Grub2.

There is loads of info from here: GNU GRUB - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)
Just have to find your way…
GNU GRUB Manual 1.98-r2508

I am familiar and comfortable with Legacy, never had issues with it; cant say same for Grub2. My multiboot project is stuck due to it.

I did read of your issue. But I fail to understand it. If you have 2 ditros, one that uses gub2 and the other Legacy. Either grub will work and either will install. It’s simply a matter of ‘getting it’ (understanding how).

Carl, i’ve found a solution after failing at it twice. working with it atm; will im you when done.

Is the Grub2 available during installation or later? I installed from DVD-build 694 and didn’t see it during installation nor after zypper up. I want to give it a try to see if I would prefer it to legacy.

Thanks, Tom

I’m mistaken - it’s not on the DVD
Post install the repos for Goldmaster are still being re-directed to factory snapshot. Where it seems grub2 is.
I don’t know for sure if it will be in 11.3 OSS repo but now I think about it, I suspect not.

Take note too that big changes are in the pipe for factory as already it has shifted on from 11.3 to 11.3+1
So currently, I’m not updating from factory and my main 11.2 box has been changed to stable repos from kde too.

Sorry about any confusion. But obviously grub2 is on the cards perhaps in the next release, or at least an option for it.

Let users choose.

Is there any guide explaining how to replace Grub Legacy by Grub2 in 11.3 (upgraded from 11.2)?

Not that I know of and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Just a quick question (not to hijack the thread), since GRUB Legacy is installed by default as of 11.3, how would I preserve a dual boot with Windows Vista that was configured using GRUB 2? I ask this because I am switching from Ubuntu 9.10 (Never really got used to it, not a fan of the constant updates nor the predominately brown/orange themes), which used GRUB 2 by default, to OpenSUSE 11.3. Are there any extra steps that I will need to perform to install GRUB Legacy correctly? Sorry to take an existing thread, and thank-you for your time.

Jazzmaster94

You need not worry much since openSUSE’s GRUB by default overwrites over the existing GRUB (v1 or v2) if any… openSUSE would pick up Vista as one of the boot options automatically during the installation without much problem…

On 2010-07-15 23:06, caf4926 wrote:
>
> hegheg;2189067 Wrote:
>> Is there any guide explaining how to replace Grub Legacy by Grub2 in
>> 11.3 (upgraded from 11.2)?
> Not that I know of and I wouldn’t recommend it.

This is an old thread, but I know something.

There is no plan to support grub 2 in Yast soon. It appears that it is not clear or easy how to do
it, so what they do is patch (heavily) grub “legacy” instead, which is not maintained upstream. This
will ultimately force to upgrade, but they resist to change.

You can find information about this if you browse the factory mail list archive. I have a fuzzy
recollection that the dificulty was in parsing the configuration files so that yast o the perl code
used for kernel install doesn’t make mistakes. Something of the sort. They also commented that the
grub code we have to use has a lot of patches to support things that the default code doesn’t,
changes that upstream have gone only for grub 2. Which is why we users do not feel the need to
upgrade: it handles our needs thanks to the efforts of the openSUSE devs.

So, if you do find grub2 somewhere in the repos, you have to install it manually and on your own.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))

On 2010-08-05 00:06, Jazzmaster94 wrote:
>
> Just a quick question (not to hijack the thread), since GRUB Legacy is
> installed by default as of 11.3, how would I preserve a dual boot with
> Windows Vista that was configured using GRUB 2?

oS will install grub where you tell the installer. If it is the same place as your previous grub, it
is overwritten. If you install afferently, it will survive.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” GM (Elessar))