Getting lots of dracut[I] messages in my zypper logs. How to fix?

I’m using TW with Gnome and Wayland. I’m getting lots of dracut[I] “…could not be found!” messages in my zypper logs. Here’s the latest example: TW Zyp logs - Google Docs

Is this many small problems that need to be fixed individually? Or is this one big problem?

I’m a Linux newbie and not a techie. I know very little bash or commands.

Summary: unless your system is visibly misbehaving, there’s nothing to worry about

Someone with actual real knowledge will inevitably come in with a better explanation, but my layperson’s explanation for now:

Dracut’s job is to put together the “boot image” - what your system uses to figure out what all it needs to have ready before it can start using the main “root” file system and start up everything that you’re going to use.

Dracut’s code includes searches for a ton of different ways that a system could be configured that might be relevant for booting up - capabilities that might not exist everywhere, and multiple options for some of those capabilities.

When it looks for a possibility that it doesn’t find - say, for example, method A of handling network management (not found because your system uses method B) - it gives that informational message. As setup, it’s quite…“excited” about each of those instances, based on the exclamation points! But each one really just means that a possible option didn’t exist on your system…

The analogy I use in my own head is when turning on a car - my car doesn’t have CarPlay/Android Auto or anything like that. If, when turning my car on, a message came up on the dashboard that said “carcut: Apple CarPlay not found!” and “carcut: Android Auto not found!”…it would make sense, because I just have a regular stereo, and indeed it also handles setting up the stereo just fine.

I hope some/any of that helped, and apologies to the actually technically knowledgeable folks in the room for the butchering above (Feel free to edit/remove with something better)

3 Likes

@invalid_user_name what @johnkizer says, it’s normal when the kernels rebuild… modules/services your system doesn’t need…

1 Like

“Dracut’s job is to put together the “boot image” - what your system uses to figure out what all it needs to have ready before it can start using the main “root” file system and start up everything that you’re going to use.”

A very good noob friendly answer. Very helpful. Thanks!

Is dracut part of the Linux kernel? Or something else?

1 Like

Thanks @johnkizer and @malcolmlewis , You gave me my favorite answer to a Linux issue: “Just ignore it.”

:grin:

My system seems to be working fine (TW rocks!). And if it doesn’t, I’ve got a pile of snapshots I can go back to.

1 Like

It is an independent package, called dracut.

For additional informations also see this thread where you asked the same question two weeks ago:

1 Like

Oh! You’re right. I totally forgot. :crazy_face: Whoops. My bad. Thanks for the reminder.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.