11.4 Milestone2 X window failed to start from KDE liveCD

So I’ll ask again why a login on the KDE Live CD?
What?

There is no login. It boots right to the live desktop. Are you in that bug report on the same issue?

Its a bug, possibly in KDM. IMHO it appears to only affect some hardware, … possibly hardware that the nouveau driver struggles a bit with ?

The issue that those of us with ‘older’ nVidia hardware have encountered, is when we boot the KDE liveCD (with out any special boot code) we are taken to a login screen. An no login combination works. Its impossible to login. We do NOT get a direct boot to the live desktop. Now if instead we boot to TEXT MODE and type startx, we get different effects. I saw a segmentation fault (after typing ‘startx’ ) on one PC with this approach.

If we specify ‘nomodeset’, the PC will freeze when trying to load X. If we boot to TEXT MODE (and specify ‘nomodeset’) and after logging in type startx, the PC will freeze when trying to load X.

I see
Guess that sucks for some then.

Did anyone establish if there is a correct login - Eg; linux + linux or linux + no password ?

The pass word is linux or root the password for each is an empty string and enter i.e. make sure there is nothing in the password area

That works for a text mode login, but not on the openSUSE-11.4 M2 release GUI login where a number of us get a GUI login screen at boot, where one can not login.

There is a login. Gnome boots right to the desktop, and I am in that bug report on the same issue.

I’m currently running openSUSE 11.2 64-bit Gnome 2.28 with a nVidia GT200 (Geforce210) video card with the nVidia driver up to date.

I tried booting the 32-bit openSUSE-11.4 M2 KDE liveCD on my Intel Core i7 with nVida GTX260 graphics. Same problem as older hardware. It boots to a KDM login screen, and one can NOT login from there. This was the case with and without ‘nomodeset’ boot code.

I then rebooted, and changed the liveCD to the 32-bit openSUSE-11.4 M2 Gnome liveCD. I booted direct to the desktop, and I am typing this post from Gnome (11.4 M2). Its a nice desktop. If it were not for Gnomes substandard sound functionality (on pretty much all my hardware (ie 6 different PCs)) I would switch from KDE to Gnome.

I hope SuSE-GmbH manage to sort this KDE issue in 11.4 Milestone3.

I logged out and ran into the same problem I couldn’t log in. Changed roots pass word with passwd then tried to log in to the desktop using root and the new pass word only go see that root is not allowed. I then used yast user and groups settings to change the user (linux) password and was able to log into the desktop using the new password.

I experienced this on ATI graphics hardware (MSI S271) and Intel (MSI U90 netbook)

But I doubt problem is 100% caused by Xorg or video drivers.
GNOME LiveCD (OpenSUSE 11.4 M2) boots fine on both those PCs.

Besides, I have stable OpenSUSE 11.3 installed on both those notebooks.

I note this bug#641297 which may be related, is also now listed in the most annoying bug page for 11.4.

Tested KDE LiveCD Build0772
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/iso/openSUSE-KDE-LiveCD-i686-Build0772-Media.iso

There is progress comparing to OpenSUSE 11.4 Milestone2 - boot process bypassed
KDM login screen. And I get KDE desktop with … blank (black) screen and mouse
pointer.

After switching to Terminal 1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and back, KDE screen slowly
repainted.

And I see Desktop folder with funny message inside: “The process for the
desktop protocol died unexpectedly”
But KDE menu works, and I can open Konsole.

So, there is a possibility for further debugging.

P.S. Hardware is MSI U90 netbook, with built-in Intel graphics

I also tried openSUSE 11.4 Milestone 2, the 32-bit version, on an AMD 3500+ (64-bit) CPU with an NVIDIA 5200FX graphics card. As previously mentioned in this thread, the openSUSE live CDs usually boot right into the desktop, but this process stopped and then took me to a login screen (KDM). The only way to log in was to dump to a console, get root (no password needed), and set a password. After that, KDE would not run - I’d log in, it would start up, and then it would dump me back to KDM. (That’s with the nouveau driver, with or without the “nomodeset” parameter.)

On a laptop with ATI-based (and accelerated) video, I also got a login screen, but once logged in (as above, setting a password in a console window), KDE runs fine.

Did anyone with the live session issue, just try running the installer and proceed with the install rather than trying to get the live desktop first?

I did not, because I do not want to install, just compare to the Gnome desktop and I don’t have enough disk space.

I did. I was able to install, and log into IceWM, but not KDE.

Not exactly progress
But interesting

I just tested the 64-bit build 0785 of the KDE live disk, and still no progress towards a working KDE desktop. The good news is that now I can log in to the live disk’s other desktop environments (via Virtualbox, anyway).

I am having the same problem here. I was lucky to have installed LXDE because it’s the only DE that seems to be working fine.

Could it be a driver problem then?

As I read through this thread, I experienced deja vu. Recently, (as part of 11.3 x64 DVD Install vs. liveCD) I had tried to install 11.4 MS2, from DVD and then liveCD (Gnome). The 11.4 MS2 DVD-install experienced 11.4 M2: Nothing provides “libc.so.6 …” message, without satisfactory resolution. At that point, I attempted the 11.4 MS2 liveCD.

While the liveCD (Build 0754) experienced some keyboard and touchpad lags and lack of response, the desktop was also less than complete. Further, once installed, the maintenance problem of 11.4 M2: Nothing provides “libc.so.6 …” message reappeared. At this point, I decided to wait for MS3.

Deciding to give 11.4 MS2 another go, I burned Build 0826. Upon boot, I was presented with a partial desktop: background, 3 desktop icons and no lower panel (taskbar). I clicked ctrl+alt+F1 to command line, and the terminal response was quite good. Returning via ctrl+alt+F7, I was presented with a normal and complete desktop, fully responsive! I then repeated this process twice, with the same results.

At this point, I dug out the prior -0754 liveCD, and the above process repeated exactly!

I cannot say whether this helps this problem, but I am going to repeat the -0826 liveCD, and install.