consider it grave enough to delay Milestone, so I would like
to release this week. The Xorg crash does not hit on real
hardware I have available and GNOME and XDE do not have
this problem (we assume it’s related to KDE windows effects
on unaccelerated hardware).

Greetings, Stephan

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse-factory+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

64bit LiveCD KDE shows the crashes oldcpu described on 32bit. Couldn’t catch it quick enough, but AFAICS it crashes on /tmp/dbus-server not being available. Checked, dbusd runs.

The Xorg crash does not hit on real
hardware I have available and GNOME and XDE do not have
this problem (we assume it’s related to KDE windows effects
on unaccelerated hardware).

I had this issue on 11.3 after doing a zypper dup from the factory repo so I assume there are some changes in kde breaking X. I don’t like using the stable 45 repo because some things aren’t there ie smooth tasks/fancy tasks from kde extras won’t run.

Thanks for that quote. I use a hardware KVM switch, but I think Stephan is refering to a different KVM ?? I suppose I could crawl under the table and for a test change my wiring, to bypass the hardware KVM, although I am not keen to do so (I’m getting too old for such crawling).

It does make me think what I encountered is a known problem, and that it might be counter productive for me to raise a bug report.

Since it was known in advanced, I’m a bit surprised NOT to see this listed on the most annoying bugs page: openSUSE:Most annoying bugs 11.4 dev - openSUSE

… it does ‘beg the question’ to me, … who typically updates those “most annoying bug” pages ? Are regular users like myself encouraged to make such updates?

I downloaded 11.4 Milestone2 KDE LiveCD, and copied it to to USB stick using
SuSE Studio ImageWriter

After booting to KDE4 (no freeze during boot) system asks me for Login/Password.
Standard passwords/combinations - linux, root, etc. - do not work.

Re-booted and asked bootloader to check media.
Answer: failed media

Weird… I downloaded it via ftp, and put for re-distribution on Torrent.
Torrent was checking chunks, and check was ok.

So it seems ISO image on OpenSUSE site has some problems.

I just confirm that OpenSUSE 11.4 Milestone2 KDE LiveCD failed to start on my test platform (MSI S271 notebook) - see message above.

Hardware:

• CPU AMD tURION 64 x2 TL-56
  • 512MB of RAM (only…)
  • ATI built-in graphics
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • Ralink RT2500 802.11g Wireless miniPCI adapter

OpenSUSE 11.4 M2 GNOME Live boots fine.

I have OpenSUSE 11.3 KDE4 installed on this laptop, with added Factory repo for KDE 4.5.x
This combination works well.

Therefor, inability to install 11.4 MS2 KDE LiveCD is a regression comparing to 11.3

The best way to share information about your hardware platform (profile) is using Smolt

Here it is Smolt profle for MSI S271 notebook

Fresh install (boot from Live CD), kernel 2.6.34-rc4-16, networking (wired, wireless), USB adapters and graphics are working fine.

The best way to share information about your hardware platform (profile) is using Smolt

Here it is Smolt profle for MSI S271 notebook

Fresh install (boot from Live CD), kernel 2.6.34-rc4-16, networking (wired, wireless), USB adapters and graphics are working fine.

I think one of us needs to write a bug report on this. … I’ll give this some thought when I get home tonight.

I’m wondering the same thing, Oldcpu. Milestone 2 has yet to be officially announced, so I suppose there’s still time for the most annoying bugs page to be updated.

I successfully loaded OpenSUSE 11.4 Milestone 2 (GNOME LiveCD) on two more systems.

Aspire 6935 notebook
Smolt profile

• Intel Core 2 Duo T9400
  • 4GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
  • Intel 5100 802.11a/b/g WLAN wireless adapter
  • Atheros 1Gigiabit Ethernet adapter

MSI U90 netbook

• Intel Atom
  • 1GB RAM
  • Intel built-in graphics
  • Realtek 802.11g Wireless adapter

When I move windows in GNOME on this system, I see window redraws. And it’s quirky.
My guess window effects should be disabled for this (Intel) graphics adapter.

I am very pleased that Wireless connectivity works out-of-the-box on both those systems.

BTW: For some reason, I got the same Smolt Public Profile for this system (bug in Smolt? Same external IP address, as LAN is behind router with NAT?)
So system details can’t be fully shared.
Has someone had same kind of issue (same Public ID for two different systems) with Smolt?

Here are profiles for **MSI U90 / U100 **netbooks
MSI U100

My MSI U90 running OpenSUSE 11.3

I use KDE 4.4.x on this netbook, and there are no stability problems.
Screen redraws are ok, so problems with window redraws mentioned above (11.4 M2) can be caused by recent updates in Xorg or GNOME.

I downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, checked against md5sum and both passed. Burnt the CD’s and ran check media from YaST, both passed.

Booted from the CD’s (don’t want to install just yet) and login failed on both.

The Gnome Live CD doesn’t have a login screen and worked.

Why a login on KDE:question:

As were suggested befor e- we should file a bug report about this.
So I did: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=643872

I invite everyone who experienced this problem go to https://bugzilla.novell.com/ , login (same login/password as for Forum) and vote for this bug.
You can also comment directly to this bug, and add attachment (if problemn is specific to hardware - we do not know yet - that #hwinfo > my-hwinfo.txt would be helpful)

I can’t see where to vote for this bug.

Thanks!

I added some comments.

I note the bugzilla needs updating for Milestone-2 and openSUSE-11.4 also, as it is missing fields, and they will reduce the quality of bug categorization, and I am concerned could have a overall negative impact on team efforts to ensure bugs are properly assigned and prioritized to fix. I noted this on IRC #opensuse-factory (but had silence in return).

Build 770 from the factory iso’s seems to work a lot better. No problem with log in. Desktop effects work a lot better. Although they are a bit slow. I notice that compiz works a lot better but there is no title bar

For me Build 0754 announced today, doesn’t work any better.

openSUSE News

Yes, I checked the md5sum against the iso and the media after burning.

I tried build 0772 (32-bit KDE liveCD version). It did not work. No difference from the failed Milestone2 build.

Using the Gnome -64 bit Live CD to post this. No login and it works great! So I’ll ask again why a login on the KDE Live CD?