Which forum display mode do you prefer?

Currently the forum display default mode is “linear”. Two other options that you can switch to while viewing a thread OR you can set permanently in your user settings are “hybrid” and “threaded”. I’m just curious which you folks like better?

Hi kgroneman,

I prefer the linear mode.

Same here.

Hi
Hybrid for me…

Linear …

Linear for me too

On 2011-02-15, malcolmlewis <malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> Hybrid for me…

Don’t care.

(actually nntp)

When in doubt, use brute force.
– Ken Thompson

I prefer Linear.

Thank You,

Perhaps I should amplify, that once I decide to enter a thread, I typically want to see all of the posts as quick as possible, and the way for me to easily to do that is “Linear”. I find for the technique that I employ, I am much much slower using the other display methods (threaded and hybrid). To me the slowness that those (threaded and hybrid) impose is the same as the slowness I encounter when trying to use NNTP.

Linear by default for speed (reading), and Hybrid when the threading isn’t obvious. Having the alternatives is useful.

Perhaps I should amplify, that once I decide to enter a thread, I typically want to see all of the posts as quick as possible, and the way for me to easily to do that is “Linear”. I find for the technique that I employ, I am much much slower using the other display methods (threaded and hybrid). To me the slowness that those (threaded and hybrid) impose is the same as the slowness I encounter when trying to use NNTP.

Same for me.

Linear by default for speed (reading), and Hybrid when the threading isn’t obvious. Having the alternatives is useful.

Hadn’t thought about the implications of this, but now I know why members sometimes respond without having appeared to have read the entire thread (as linear view presents) or that other archaic option… :slight_smile:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:30:07 +0000, Rikishi42 wrote:

> On 2011-02-15, malcolmlewis <malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hybrid for me…
>
> Don’t care.
>
> (actually nntp)

Same here, though on occasion I am in the web interface, I prefer the
hybrid - I prefer to see the conversation as it unfolded, linear never
really has ever made any sense to me.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator

It’s actually the use of linear that introduces ambiguity, for example when users just tag onto the last post instead of replying directly to the relevant post. That breaks the threading or strands of a dicussion. It’s more confusing when it happens without a quote in the reply, or reference to the appropriate poster.

It’s actually the use of linear that introduces ambiguity, for example when users just tag onto the last post instead of replying directly to the relevant post. That breaks the threading or strands of a dicussion. It’s more confusing when it happens without a quote in the reply, or reference to the appropriate poster.

Guilty! :slight_smile: I always tag onto last…

I prefer linear because I’m contemporary, up with the modern technology (unlike the ppl who are covered with cobwebs and other antiquated trappings).

The other little problem with “tail-gating” like that, is when one tags and replies with a one-liner Quick Reply, only to find that an NNTP post that’s been in the melting pot for +half hour suddenly appears in-between. It wasn’t there when you posted, but it is there in the linear view, and your comment now looks orphaned. :wink:

I prefer linear mode as well.

Best regards,
Greg

The other little problem with “tail-gating” like that, is when one tags and replies with a one-liner Quick Reply, only to find that an NNTP post that’s been in the melting pot for +half hour suddenly appears in-between. It wasn’t there when you posted, but it is there in the linear view, and your comment now looks orphaned.

I look at it the other way. If we all posted linearly (one after the other), then there would be no issue either. To me replying to specific posts in a thread introduces unecessary forks in the first place. Maybe I’m missing the nuances here, but linear makes sense to me.

I prefer linear because I'm contemporary, up with the modern technology (unlike the ppl who are covered with cobwebs and other antiquated trappings). 

Pure common sense! :smiley:

linear for me.

I also prefer linear, I think it makes more sense to read the messages posted in chronic order.

If someone wants to react on an older post it’s his responsibility to make it clear by quoting the needed text.