> I prefer linear because I’m contemporary, up with the modern technology
> (unlike the ppl who are covered with cobwebs and other antiquated
> trappings).

Oooh, them’s fightin’ words, John! :wink:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

“Lowest common denominator” and “one size fits all” approaches can often result in the lowering of standards. I have no idea how you conclude that targeted replies constitute “forks”, especially when represented in linear mode. I’m sure the “Reply with Quote” button was provided for good reason, even though for you it also appears to be “unnecessary” :D.

That button may serve a useful purpose. Although I wouldn’t attribute these motives to you personally, quoting the words of others without any attribution could be considered impolite at best, or at worst an instance of plagiarism.

Let’s not argue about such trivialities.
Whilst there may be things that present some annoyance at times. We ought to concentrate on the job at hand - Helping people.
Perfection is hard to come by, in fact, anyone who claim such by virtue of their comments, is deluded.

My observation is, that I use Linear because I’m a bit slow upstairs.
That helped me see that I should have all the more respect for my intellectually superior friends that use Hybrid.

My observation is, that I use Linear because I’m a bit slow upstairs.
That helped me see that I should have all the more respect for my intellectually superior friends that use Hybrid.

That’s how I see it too. It keeps things simple for me, and targeted responses are achieved with ‘@a particular user’ if necessary.

Although I wouldn't attribute these motives to you personally, quoting the words of others without any attribution could be considered impolite at best, or at worst an instance of plagiarism. 

Most understand quoting is used to give context (or reference) to a reply, nothing more, nothing less. Choice is freedom :slight_smile:

I prefer linear.

Hi mr Kgroneman I prefer Hybrid.

You know I was just joshin Jim.

I prefer linear. But usualy, I reply to a specific post using the “Reply” or “Reply with quote” buttons (not just the “Reply to thread”), for other people that prefer hybrid or threaded to see the reply in its proper place.
In this way things keep organized even if one prefers to look at them in a simpler way.
But, anyway… There are a lot of more important things;)

Same here, I switch from linear to hybrid and back, wouldn’t want to loose that.

Thank you for that consideration and exemplary attitude.

Yes I know, I’ve been nit-picking. :smiley:

threaded in T-Bird and linear in Firefox

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Yeah. My post came a bit pedantic.
Criticism accepted.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:06:01 +0000, swerdna wrote:

> You know I was just joshin Jim.

But of course. :wink:

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Hybrid, just more friendly to manual search

Not really. I was only referring to my own comments for that, Your reasoning was fine. :slight_smile:

Linear because of the same reasoning that Lee and Edward made (cited).
But I like also to have the choice.
And for the NNTP-users:
In my Thunderbird I can also choose if I use the GMail-like view (alike inline view) or if I expand the thread (alike threaded view).

Regards
Martin
(pistazienfresser)

When I checked out NNTP and decided I did not like it, I wasted an absolutely silly amount of time with Thunderbird (time I could have better spent helping a half dozen users) trying to come close to a Linear style view for something similar to what I get with vBulliten and I could not come close. When I stopped fiddling, I looked at the clock, and said never again will I do do such a time wasting effort. NNTP is a waste for me if I have to waste my time fiddling instead of helping.

So I confess that puzzles me that you can do so. What settings do you apply to get that view?

0.) I am really sorry both to have puzzled you and to have ‘stolen’ your time.:shame:

1. I was not aware that that view depends on an add-on for Thunderbird.
    The additional program was named once Gmail Conversation View and seems now to be named Thunderbird Conversations.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/versions/
    If wanted at all (see 2.)) be aware that you get the right version for you Thunderbird -probably:

Version 1.1.2 July 28, 2010

1. I was also not aware that the add-on only works with email-conversations - although trying now for ca. 1 h I could not activate the view both on my openSUSE 11.3 installation nor on my 11.4/factory-tested installation for the NNTP-messages. It seems to me I am really rarely using NNTP at all…

Maybe the addon would despite of that be interesting for viewing email-newsgroup-treads.

Still sorry :shame:,
Martin

No worries … my time was wasted long before this thread … over a year ago when I first looked at NNTP. I actually still have an NNTP account setup, but I have not tried to send an NNTP post for over a year and don’t know if I can still do it. I confess, I’m solidly in the Linear presentation camp and find any other presentation frustrating for the technique I employ for the sort of support that I provide.

I was simply curious if I had missed anything , and now I see I did miss the entire concept of there being plugins available to thunderbird to improve its viewing capabilities.

I spent about 5 minutes searching here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

and found nothing that could provide the sort of linear presentation that I like.