Zypper wants to install gnome packages

Hi,

I was about to do a routine zypper dup today when I noticed that zypper wanted to install a bunch of gnome packages. I have completely removed gnome from my laptop (or at least I thought I had), and 'm using KDE. So why does a zypper dup include the following gnome packages?

The following 51 NEW packages are going to be installed:
  chrome-gnome-shell gdm gdm-branding-openSUSE gnome-bluetooth gnome-clocks gnome-color-manager gnome-control-center
  gnome-control-center-color gnome-control-center-goa gnome-control-center-user-faces gnome-online-accounts gnome-session
  gnome-session-core gnome-session-default-session gnome-settings-daemon gnome-shell gnome-shell-calendar
  gnome-shell-search-provider-bijiben gnome-shell-search-provider-epiphany gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-clocks
  gnome-shell-search-provider-nautilus gnome-shell-search-provider-seahorse gnome-themes-accessibility gnome-themes-accessibility-gtk2
  gnome-user-docs gnome-version gnomekbd-tools graphviz-gnome kdeconnect-kde kdeconnect-kde-lang kernel-default-5.8.2-1.2 libcryptui0
  libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgnome-bluetooth13 libgnomekbd8 libgnomesu libgnomesu0 libmutter-6-0 libproxy1-config-gnome3 libreoffice-gnome
  libreoffice-gtk3 mutter mutter-data nautilus nautilus-extension-seahorse polkit-gnome pulseaudio-gdm-hooks seahorse-daemon
  telepathy-mission-control-plugin-goa typelib-1_0-GnomeBluetooth-1_0 typelib-1_0-GnomeDesktop-3_0

Thanks for any advice.

You must have something pulling the gnome packages in. Like you I just use kde/plasma and have not had any issues.

Have you a gnome pattern still ticked perhaps?

Due to a change in the rpm package - all the packages have been re-done and perhaps this has triggered something, but again I have not had the same problem. That said, I am very cauious and download the latest iso snapshot to update from. I have just done a zypper dup but again now gnome packages were pulled in.

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t have any gnome patterns checked in Yast. I used the following command to find installed gnome packages:

# rpm -qa | grep gnome

It was quite a long list but I used zypper to uninstall all of them. So I have no idea why this recent zypper dup wants to install gnome packages.

Some programs are written for KDE some for Gnome some are totally agnostic. Those that have a Gnome bent may pull in some “gnome” packages and those may pull in other.

You have Skype? That uses gnome wallet many other apps may use parts of gnome.

Is there a reason you want to cripple the ecosystem of your machine by banning all things with gnome in there names???

Is there a reason you want to cripple the ecosystem of your machine by banning all things with gnome in there names???

I don’t mind gnome packages if they’re supporting something like skype, which I do have installed. I also have the chrome browser installed. But would skype and chrome require packages like gnome-clocks, gnome-bluetooth, gnome-shell-search-provider-epiphany and so many other packages? That seems odd.