zypper verify fails after installing 2 Plasmoids in KDE Plasma 5 desktop

I installed 2 Plasma widgits, simple Monitor, which I removed because it wasn’t working correctly, and thermal Monitor, which is what I needed to monitor core temperatures. This was done using the install widgits menu from the desktop system. However now the zypper verify command appears broken.

owner@linux:~> sudo zypper verify
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…
2 Problems:
Problem: nothing provides appdata(org.kde.simpleMonitor.appdata.xml) needed by application:Simple Monitor-.noarch
Problem: nothing provides appdata(org.kde.thermalMonitor.appdata.xml) needed by application:Thermal Monitor-.noarch

Problem: nothing provides appdata(org.kde.simpleMonitor.appdata.xml) needed by application:Simple Monitor-.noarch
Solution 1: deinstallation of application:Simple Monitor-.noarch
Solution 2: break application:Simple Monitor-.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/s/r/c] (c): 2

Problem: nothing provides appdata(org.kde.thermalMonitor.appdata.xml) needed by application:Thermal Monitor-.noarch
Solution 1: deinstallation of application:Thermal Monitor-.noarch
Solution 2: break application:Thermal Monitor-.noarch by ignoring some of its dependencies

Choose from above solutions by number or skip, retry or cancel [1/2/s/r/c] (c): 2
Resolving dependencies…

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.

running the “zypper search” command shows both “Simple Monitor” and “Thermal Monitor” are installed as applications, but they cannot be removed by the “zypper remove” program, even though the feedback seems to indicate so.

I have created two dummy files in the /etc/systemd/system/appdata folder area, org.kde.simpleMonitor.appdata.xml, and org.kde.thermalMonitor.appdata.xml, hoping that might solve the issue, but zypper verify still reports that “nothing provides appdata”

How can this be fixed?

A bit more research shows that the SATsolver.cc file outputs the error message, from a RPM database not finding the dependency. And a bit deeper research shows that the /var/cache/zypp/solv/@System/solv file contains the entries in error.

Is there a way to rebuild the solv (Sat-solver solv file, version 8) file?

I have tried running the “zypper clean” but that only cleans the repository cache, not the solv file which is key to resolving dependencies.

Some careful testing showed that zypper verify was looking at metainformation in certain /usr folders. I removed the following files:

org.kde.thermalMonitor.appdata.xml
org.kde.simpleMonitor.appdata.xml
plasma-applet-org.kde.simpleMonitor.desktop
plasma-applet-org.kde.thermalMonitor.desktop

After this, zypper verify ran without displaying any error messages.

I consider this problem now solved.