zypper upgrade from 12.3 to 13.1 downloaded but didn't install

So, I followed all the required steps to refresh the current repositories, change to 13.1, etc., then executed “zypper dup” in syslevel 3. After 12 hours of download, it just stopped (“Done”), but never installed the first rpm. Reboot put me right back on 12.3. What am I missing?

Did you perform the upgrade as described here?

Is it booted into 12.3, or do you come to that conclusion because the GRUB boot menu says 12.3? The zypper dup will not change the text in the boot menu (allas), but it will update kernel and all else.

Please do not only tell your conclusions, but explain why you came to a conclusion. Best by showing some computer output. Which in this case could be

cat /etc/os-release

Did you perform the upgrade as described here?

Yes. Last command issued was zypper dup

Understand, but that was not a conclusion. os-release says 12.3. Unmodified version of the 12.3 sofware is still in effect. At the end of “zypper dup” all that had occured was the new rpms were downloaded. There was never an “installing”. I was monitoring the process, and after the last rpm was downloaded, zypper said “done”, and the shell prompt came back. I’ve done this before when I upgraded to 12.3, so I knew what to expect. There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom :slight_smile:

Well that is a big jump to do online. I do seem to recall that some zypper stuff may had to be installed first before doing that kind of jump. It is much more reliable to do such an upgrade from the DVD installer.

13.1 is next release after 12.3; what do you mean “big jump”? I myself performed this update online (as all other updates before and after). It makes sense to install all available updates to 12.3 first, in case there are zypper fixes.

My mind said 11.3. In any case doing an upgrade via online is tricky in that you really need to turn off all the non base repos. it can lead to all sorts of problem. Still think there was something about updating zypper first but I could be getting my versions mixed up.

Well, I guess my issue now is this: The rpms have been downloaded, but not installed. Is there a way to start at that point and finish the installation?

On 2015-05-03 19:56, karlbullock wrote:

> Well, I guess my issue now is this: The rpms have been downloaded, but
> not installed. Is there a way to start at that point and finish the
> installation?

Maybe you followed the variant of the instructions that does first a
download only run of zypper dup, and as a second step you tell it to
actually install them.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

Hi, Carlos, and thanks. That appears to be my confusion. How do I do a successful install from the downloaded rpms without causing further problems?

just thinking out loud here
what was your system repo and how did you run zypper dup?
If packman was set as your system repo running zypper -dup would not upgrade your OS, you need to run dup for the oss-repo, just do zypper lr and see the number your oss-repo is then do zypper -dup --from <insert oss-repo #>
could you post your repo’s zypper lr

ps a question for the better informed what happens when you run zypper dup without specifying a repository where does the distribution upgrade from?

On 2015-05-03 21:56, karlbullock wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2708113 Wrote:

> Hi, Carlos, and thanks. That appears to be my confusion. How do I do a
> successful install from the downloaded rpms without causing further
> problems?

I would need to see the exact command you used the first time in order
to be sure. But anyway, a second run of zypper should use the already
downloaded files. They are not deleted till installed (and there is an
optional setting to keep them for ever, anyway)

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2015-05-03 23:06, I A wrote:

> ps a question for the better informed what happens when you run zypper
> dup without specifying a repository where does the distribution upgrade
> from?

All.

It is complicated to predict the exact result.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.