ZYPPER DUP updated to Plasma5 today--some minor issues

I don’t know what the -Va option does but about a million lines of output flew by but xterm only saved the last part. I don’t even know what this output is telling me.

After I reinstalled all of the libKF5 packages I was able to login to plasma5 but the only window is Dolphin and there is no panel and my desktop is black. Right clicking on the desktop does nothing. At least I can open Konsole from Dolphin. I guess I’ll try reinstalling every KDE package too to see if that helps.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but yesterday the downloads from the Tumbleweed repo were very slow and some packages failed to install. I managed to get everything installed after a second try. Today the downloads are ten times as fast.

The “-Va” option verifies all files from all installed packages, and displays all that have been modified or are otherwise different from the packaged ones.

If you get a long list, that’s definitely an indication of a broken system. You should reinstall all packages that it complains about.
Redirect the output to a file and the upload it to some sharing site, if you can’t decipher the output.

rpm -Va > problems.txt

After I reinstalled all of the libKF5 packages I was able to login to plasma5 but the only window is Dolphin and there is no panel and my desktop is black. Right clicking on the desktop does nothing. At least I can open Konsole from Dolphin. I guess I’ll try reinstalling every KDE package too to see if that helps.

Try plasma5-workspace and plasma5-desktop first, I’d say, and maybe also plasma5-addons.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but yesterday the downloads from the Tumbleweed repo were very slow and some packages failed to install. I managed to get everything installed after a second try. Today the downloads are ten times as fast.

If some packages “failed to install”, that’s definitely bound to cause problems.
How did they fail? What error messages did you get?

That would help a lot.

Another known problem, caused by some additional patches in openSUSE’s Qt5 and KF5 packages:

(Konsole crash on startup).

I’m not sure, but I think kubuntu 15.04 has this problem. The KDE crash reporter doesn’t show up (perhaps not installed), but konsole doesn’t show up either. I think konsole shows up (on kubuntu) after logout/login but not after reboot/login.

But kdm is still available as well, and actually won’t even be replaced by sddm automatically AFAIK.

Yes, “kdm” is still there on a system where I updated. But it is replaced by “sddm” on the system where I did a clean install.

And a year ago, GDM failed to start KDE (both 4 and 5)… :-/

I never bumped into that one. But then I don’t like “gdm”, so I don’t often test it.

In 5.3 there is a checkbox to enable/disable it.

(screen locker). Ah, I missed the checkbox. Thanks.

I don’t know about Ubuntu, but if it works there after reboot but not after logout, this would be a different issue I suppose.

Here, the crash reporter does show up, the package is drkonqi5 btw.

But the patch to fix that the windows are restored on the correct desktop caused exactly this problem: KF5-based applications (including konsole) were not started at all, and therefore did not show up and of course also no crash reporter.

That patch was only part of the kwin5 package in KDE:Frameworks5 though and has been disabled yesterday. So you probably don’t have it, unless you added that repo and upgraded to it before yesterday and didn’t update since then.

Yes, “kdm” is still there on a system where I updated. But it is replaced by “sddm” on the system where I did a clean install.

Yes, I think sddm is the default on a fresh KDE installation now.

I never bumped into that one. But then I don’t like “gdm”, so I don’t often test it.

It got fixed by a GNOME update. But that was the reason why the KDE repositories page mentioned to not use GDM if you want to try out Plasma5.

Btw, I can reproduce the problem here on 13.2. Probably worth a bug report then…

PS: The “fix” for the konsole crash (i.e. the removal of the patch that causes the crash) is on its way to Factory and Tumbleweed now:
https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/307653

This is some of the output from the rpm command. Does it mean anything to you?

SM5…T. c /etc/fonts/conf.d/30-metric-aliases.conf
…L… d /usr/share/man/man1/nosetests.1.gz
S.5… /usr/share/applications/org.kde.kruler.desktop
S.5… d /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kruler/index.cache.bz2
S.5… d /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kruler/index.docbook
S.5… d /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kruler/kruler-settings.png
S.5… d /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/kruler/kruler.png
S.5… /usr/share/knotifications5/kruler.notifyrc
S.5… /usr/share/kruler/sounds/move.wav
S.5… /usr/lib64/libknotesprivate.so.4.14.8
…T. /usr/bin/cvlc
…T. /usr/bin/nvlc
…T. /usr/bin/rvlc
…T. /usr/bin/vlc
…T. /usr/bin/vlc-wrapper
…T. /usr/lib64/vlc/libvlc_vdpau.so.0.0.0

There are 9 pages in the text file for just the VLC package.

Have a look at “man rpm”, ‘S’ means that the file size is different, ‘5’ means the MD5SUM (i.e. the content of the file) has changed, and ‘T’ means the modification time. ‘L’ means that it’s a file instead of a symlink or vice-versa, but that particular file should not matter in your case.
And ‘M’ means that the file permissions have changed, but again this shouldn’t cause problems.
For config files (marked as ‘c’ in the second column) it’s even quite common that they are not the original version… :wink:
Files that have a ‘d’ in the second column are “documentation” files, those shouldn’t cause problems at all.

You should probably reinstall the packages that contain the “S.5” files, use “rpm -qf filename” to find out which package contains it.

The VLC problems are probably unrelated to your Plasma5 problems though, unless you use phonon4qt5-backend-vlc.
But try to switch to gstreamer as a test (in systemsettings5), that might fix some crashes… :wink:

i have problem with desktop setting when i want change the wallpaper
it not show the preview wallpapers
just showing some grey image like no image in there
but the grey image has title and author and when i select the wallpaper and click apply my walpaper changed

maybe just me have the problem cus noone mention it:(

Well, that works fine here too. But sometimes it needs a bit of time until all previews are loaded.

On 05/18/2015 11:46 AM, Lit wrote:
>
> i have problem with desktop setting when i want change the wallpaper
> it not show the preview wallpapers
> just showing some grey image like no image in there
> but the grey image has title and author and when i select the wallpaper
> and click apply my walpaper changed
>
> maybe just me have the problem cus noone mention it:(
>
>

I also experience the same problem.

Ken

… so do I. And, I will also be looking forward to see your ideas implemented.

[SOLVED]
i got desktop setting wallpaper previews by zypper dup without --no-recommendsrotfl!