For a few days I get this problem message when doing a zypper dup:
Problem: problem with the installed gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.22.2-1699.86.pm.3.x86_64 Solution 1: install gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.22.2-1.2.x86_64 from vendor openSUSE replacing gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.22.2-1699.86.pm.3.x86_64 from vendor http://packman.links2linux.de Solution 2: keep obsolete gstreamer-plugins-libav-1.22.2-1699.86.pm.3.x86_64 Choose from above solutions by number or cancel [1/2/c/d/?] (c):
so far I always chose option 2 because i was hoping that the problem is going to get resolved in the packman repository. But this raises a general question of how to approach problems which are suggesting a vendor change. My approach so far was, to never switch from packman to openSUSE because am under the impression, that when packages are on both repositories this probably means that the opensuse version is restricted in some way because of license or legal reasons. Especially packages connected to multimedia stuff (codecs etc.).
So the question is, is this still true? And if so, is it general better to wait for the packman vendor to resolve such problems?
My fear is, that someday the legal problems with one of the packages/application get sorted out, so there is no reason to keep the variant on packman anymore. That means the users the should change the vendor to get further updates. But it is possible that when such situation occurs and I somehow miss the announcement, i would stuck on such an error forever and never notice.