Z through Wine

I am trying to play Z (A game by the Bitmap Brothers) through Wine.
I have installed the game, and the game loads, the intro movie plays from the CD and goes to the main screen with no problems. When trying to start a new game, I receive a message to insert the CD, even though it is inserted and mounted. The drive is detected in winecfg and set as “CD-ROM”.

The CD works fine as I have played it on a Windows machine. Is this just a problem with how Wine interacts with Z? I know Wine is working because I have played other games from CD with no problem.

Any ideas?
Thanks guys!

Wine version 1.0
openSuSE 11.0
KDE 4.0.4

Havn’t used wine for some time and don’t play windows games, so just a guess here. Maybe your “CD-ROM” name needs to be changed to “d:” for the windows app to recognise it. In general the dos devices must point to an equivalent linux mount point. Have a look at ‘Configuring DOS Drives’ here.

Ninja1980 wrote:

>
> I am trying to play Z (A game by the Bitmap Brothers) through Wine.
> I have installed the game, and the game loads, the intro movie plays
> from the CD and goes to the main screen with no problems. When trying
> to start a new game, I receive a message to insert the CD, even though
> it is inserted and mounted. The drive is detected in winecfg and set
> as “CD-ROM”.
>
> The CD works fine as I have played it on a Windows machine. Is this
> just a problem with how Wine interacts with Z? I know Wine is working
> because I have played other games from CD with no problem.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks guys!
>
>

One of the ways round this is to google for a no-cd patch/hack for the game.

there are a few sites around which supply these and normally you d/load a modified game exe which bypasses the cd check.

However please practise caution as some could be harmful in my gaming days I never came across a bad one though.

YMMV

HTH

Mark…

Nil illegitimi carborundum

baskitcaise wrote:

>
> One of the ways round this is to google for a no-cd patch/hack for the game.

Really old wine used to let you do thing like customize the volume name and
fake all sorts of things out… but the release version, etc. are much, much
more limited. I have several games that won’t play with the newer versions
of wine. It’s very sad really.

Sometimes I’m not sure what the goal of wine really is. More of an
experiment than a way to run Windows programs.

If you type winecfg in a console you can add drives.

/Geoff

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 00:56 +0000, geoffro wrote:
> If you type winecfg in a console you can add drives.

True, you just can’t do all of the things that you used
to be able to do. Can’t override enough things anymore.

I already tried that. The CD drive is set to D: and set to CD-ROM and not auto-detect. I even tried to copy the CD to a new folder on my hard drive and then map the D: to that folder. Didn’t work either.

Unless I can find a No-CD patch like somebody else mentioned, I don’t think the game will run under wine.

Another option would be to find the original game files and not the windows version which can’t be run under DOS. If I can do that, I can try running the game via Dosbox.

Update.

I found the original version of the game made for Win95. I installed it successfully through Dosbox (Boy those Dos based install programs sure bring back memories! lol) and got the game to work flawlessly via DosBox.