Yesterday's update messed up dual monitors

This happens a lot. Usually, I just go back into system config, split the display apart, rotate one of the monitors and then realign them. 5 minutes and I am done. Not today, however. After that rigmarole, the rotated monitor has one part of the display still in logically landscape mode. Consequently, menus and window placement will sometimes be off screen and the right-click-on-the-desktop does not work on the bottom half of the screen. It would probably work to the right of the top half, but the cursor movement does understand the layout and the cursor does not go there.

So, here is my question: Given that this is a semi-regular occurrence, what would be the best way to send the desktop developers a clue?

==> /etc/os-release <==
NAME=“openSUSE Leap”
VERSION=“42.1”
VERSION_ID=“42.1”
PRETTY_NAME=“openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64)”
ID=opensuse
ANSI_COLOR=“0;32”
CPE_NAME=“cpe:/o:opensuse:opensuse:42.1”
BUG_REPORT_URL=“https://bugs.opensuse.org
HOME_URL=“https://opensuse.org/
ID_LIKE=“suse”
I have a pair of Samsung SyncMaster 2253BW’s, if that makes any difference. And I have rebooted several times and rebooting will often clear this symptom.

I had hopes of helping you out with this… but it seems I too cannot extend my display onto two monitors right now. I don’t do it as often as I used to but through the KDE Display manager, I select apply and it essentially just flashes the screen and does nothing except remove what I just requested.

Hmm… Must investigate…

-Nathan

Thank you, Nathan. I am usually able to fix it with a few minutes of futzing around and get lazy instead of complaining about the new misconfiguration. However, today it cannot be fixed. My portrait oriented monitor is working in portrait mode. The windows show full length. However, menus go off on the right past the edge of the screen and the wallpaper does the same. That means some software thinks it is landscape mode and other software (like the cursor management code) think it is portrait mode (i.e. it is correct). Since it cannot be fixed this time, someone messed up worse than usual. :frowning:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2016 16:06:01 +0000, bkorb wrote:

> So, here is my question: Given that this is a semi-regular occurrence,
> what would be the best way to send the desktop developers a clue?

Submit a bug. Be sure to include the video card and driver you’re using,
since the monitor make/model isn’t going to help resolve the issue (video
card is always the important component when it comes to video issues -
unless it’s obviously a sync rate issue).

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I had first the problem with the latest nvidia update and uninstalled all nvidia. Running nouveau gave me about the same problems with my dual display setup. Having uninstalled the package virtualbox-guest-kmp-default as described here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/519210-Nvidia-Update-no-module-loaded my desktop works correctly with both nvidia and nouveau.

I know I am about to give you basically useless information but for whatever reason, today, the dual display is working just fine to include the fact that it is not killing X when I add and remove the 2nd screen multiple times. I say, great, but I’d like to know what changed.

Thank you for the various suggestions. I am not using the Nvidia driver, so Nvidia updates should not affect me. I did file a bug https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=991799 so we’ll see about a response. I installed inxi, so system info is pretty easy to report now:

$ (inxi -F;lsmod |grep -E ‘nvidia|nouveau’)|sed ‘s/^/> /’
> Resuming in non X mode: glxinfo not found. For package install advice run: inxi --recommends
> **System: ** Host: bach Kernel: 4.1.27-27-default x86_64 (64 bit)
> ** ** Desktop KDE 5 Distro: /etc/SuSE-release corrupted, use -% to override
> **Machine: ** System: Gigabyte product: N/A
> ** ** Mobo: AMD model: 990FXA-UD3 version: x.x Bios: American Megatrends version: FA date: 10/23/2012
> **CPU: ** Octa core AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm)
> ** ** Clock Speeds: 1: 1700.00 MHz 2: 1400.00 MHz 3: 2900.00 MHz 4: 3500.00 MHz 5: 2900.00 MHz 6: 3500.00 MHz 7: 1400.00 MHz 8: 3500.00 MHz
> **Graphics: ** Card: NVIDIA GK107 [GeForce GT 740] X.org: 1.17.2 drivers: nouveau (unloaded: fbdev,nv,vesa) Resolution: 145x95
> **Audio: ** Card-1: NVIDIA GK107 HDMI Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: k4.1.27-27-default
> ** ** Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) driver: snd_hda_intel
> **Network: ** Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
> ** ** IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: 94:de:80:0d:9c:44
> **Drives: ** HDD Total Size: 8241.6GB (9.3% used) 1: /dev/sda Patriot_Pyro_SSD 240.1GB
> ** ** 2: /dev/sdb HGST_HMS5C4040AL 4000.8GB 3: /dev/sdc HGST_HMS5C4040AL 4000.8GB
> Partition: ID: / size: 61G used: 38G (64%) fs: btrfs ID: /tmp size: 61G used: 38G (64%) fs: btrfs
> ** ** ID: swap-1 size: 68.72GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
> **Sensors: ** System Temperatures: cpu: 46.6C mobo: N/A gpu: 33.0
> ** ** Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
> **Info: ** Processes: 311 Uptime: 1:54 Memory: 2967.8/32144.7MB Runlevel: 5 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.24
> nouveau 1515520 7
> video 32768 1 nouveau
> i2c_algo_bit 16384 1 nouveau
> mxm_wmi 16384 1 nouveau
> drm_kms_helper 139264 1 nouveau
> ttm 106496 1 nouveau
> drm 385024 10 ttm,drm_kms_helper,nouveau
> wmi 20480 2 mxm_wmi,nouveau
> button 16384 1 nouveau

I too have experienced this (nouveau driver) and just go into the display settings (KDE configure desktop). This morning I had a fair amount of difficulty resetting the monitors, which usually just requires separating the two monitor icons and then selecting “apply.”

Today, I lost control of the desktop with the mouse (the pointer ended up in one display and the control panel in the other). This has happened before and fortunately the tab and enter keys on the keyboard enable me to regain control. But it’s a bit of a panic when this first happens.

Any idea which update(s) may have caused this? Nothing pops out when I review the update mailing list archive.