other choices work ok. This problem started with 11.1Beta 5 and is still
there in RC1.
Makes no difference if I updated from a previous version od did a fresh
install.

Using zypper in the console works ok

Thanks for any help

jf

Hi Josef,

there are a couple of reports on this. As far as I know the issue is being worked on and hopefully it should be fixed by the final release.

As I’ve read the freeze should ’ loosen’ after a minute or so.

Cheers,
Wj

josef friedrich wrote:

> Anybody else have the same problem? Certain update- or add choices in
> the yast2 software management causes yast to freeze, for example
> packages-all packages,or installation sources-opensuse11.1-oss, where as
> other choices work ok. This problem started with 11.1Beta 5 and is still
> there in RC1.
> Makes no difference if I updated from a previous version od did a fresh
> install.
>
> Using zypper in the console works ok
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> jf

Are you sure it is a complete freeze or does it unfreeze after a while, if you open a konsole and run top have a look if something is hogging the CPU, on my machines if YaST is reading a repo with a large content then it can last for quite a while but will continue afterwards and list the repo, for something like the videolan repo which does not contain many packages the refresh is almost instant.

HTH

Mark…

Nil illegitimi carborundum

I can confirm this also, Yast2 seems very sluggish in Software Management on my install, “seems” to freeze if you manipulate to display something that makes it “sort”… like all the packages from a specific repo. VERY VERY slow, but will recover if you wait long enough (P4,3GHz).

Am Sun, 07 Dec 2008 20:26:01 +0000 schrieb Magic31:

> Hi Josef,
>
> there are a couple of reports on this. As far as I know the issue is
> being worked on and hopefully it should be fixed by the final release.
>
> As I’ve read the freeze should ’ loosen’ after a minute or so.
>
> Cheers,
> Wj

I have not noticed a time limit on the freeze. However when i try to kill
the application, after a while i get a “application is not responding”
message.

Thanks

jf

I get the “application is not responding” only when I try to close the Yast window. And only when it is “busy”. As previous responses to your original post said, I see big activity in top, please check that. It may take a while (about one minute one a fast system) but eventually “just works”.

To answer your original question: yes, I see the same behaviour.

Yeah, that’s definitely buggy. Seeing it running RC1 in VirtualBox. It’s good that this is something that can likely be fixed with a package update whenever they fix it. It’s not like the OpenSUSE 10.3 broken System Recovery stuff hard coded into the DVD.

Using the Repository selection instead seems to make the slowdown, well, less slow. And we get an @System selection there as well now, so it’s easy to update all in this list with newer versions from there without waiting forever for the other list (All Packages, used to be zzz_all) to show up.

I notice the freeze (slow down) doesn’t happen in yast text mode.
wonder why

Good to know. I wondered about that. GUI hooks maybe? Whatever, I’m sure it’ll be fixed.

Never used YaST in text mode, but knew it was available. I guess it would be about as workable as my using Aptitude’s NCurses GUI on Debian. But I like pretty pictures! (rickh would kill me for that. :))

my question is, why when I for example load vlc, for instance, in ubuntu it takes 30 seconds and in opensuse 30 minutes I have the opensuse videolan repository enabled, the rest is just as slow, can anybody please advise me

Hi
If you using download.opensuse.org this is the redirector which may be
taking you to a flakey/syncing/incomplete mirror. Choose mirrors that
are close to you instead.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default
up 13:57, 3 users, load average: 0.04, 0.05, 0.11
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.82

It’s not fixed in the final version, but there will be an online update soon: https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=457281