Yast2 software updates and ipv6 -surely some one can answer this

IPV6 gets more and more interesting. YAST is failing to connect to the repositories. I have disabled ipv6 in several ways but none of them work or YAST (also Konqueror) seems to do it’s own thing.

I have managed to get Firefox to work see my “slow internet seems to be down to dns post” made earlier today. So as a check on the YAST problem I loaded each of the repository addresses into Firefox and lo they all connect without any problem at all. So it seems that the YAST problem is down to IPV^

In order to disable ipv6 I initially added ipv6.disable=1 to the end of all of the bootloader APPENDS

More recently following up further info on here I added a couple of lines to
/etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf These were

alias net-pf-10 off
alias ipv6 off

This doesn’t work either.

Maybe of use to others - It seems it’s possible to see if IPV6 is active by typing the following into the command line

ip a | grep inet6

I’m told if it is active lines will be output?

So just what do I do to disable it in YAST and I hope in Konqueror too ???

PS I am finding it hard to understand why something like this isn’t global. Maybe be it is if it can be found. It’s beginning to look like it is enabled or disabled at the app level according to the Firefox fix.

sorry for your plight, and i doubt this will remedy your situation since your boot append is not a solution, but i remembered a problem disabling ipv6 in 11.2 which was solved for me by adding this line to /etc/sysctl.conf:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

this was necessary because disabling it thru yast2 “didn’t” and my understanding was the bug was long since rectified.


lol! Don’t know what I’m laughing for really. I just found that one following a file search. Konqueror now works - YAST no - it still does it’s own thing. Makes one wonder if openSuSe actually want us to use the stuff.

It’s gets worse. Sometime YAST gets in and does a bit - it then applies the patches, several of them sometimes go like that and then it hangs. Sounds like a good recipe for a broken system. Old YAST got the lot before it did anything.

Worse still I have downloaded the rpms and patches using Konqueror while YAST is hanging. This isn’t a realistic fix. I just did it to see if the files were available. Also got the impression that I may be being re rooted to another mirror. If so why not have the mirror in the list. YAST of course assumes the server is busy so extends the retry time to I know not what.

:slight_smile: I’m tempted to be rude because some one at Suse must know how to fix this particular problem. It’s also been going on for years and years so really aught to be very easy to fix. I started with suse 9. something low.

I just go 2 more rpm’s after an 1/2 hr hang and 2hrs of attempting to update. I’m off to bed.


You can use

su -c  "ip6tables -L --line-numbers -n -x -v "  

to display ip6 traffic
I believe “net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1” is the right way to disable IPv6 for an openSUSE machine. That doesn’t stop other PCs from sending IP6 traffic to your openSUSE machine. Likewise a router has to be IPv6 capable to forward IPv6 traffic outside the internal network. Its up to your adapters whether its creating external or internal IPv6 MAC addresses, generally adapters create only internal IPv6 MAC addresses that begin FExx:.

Thanks, but how/where do I use the “net.ipv6.conf…”