YAST, zypper corrupted after aborting update

I was updating all the installed packages on my system yesterday via YAST.

The package manager seemed to hang when downloading a small update for YAST itself (related to ncurses, I think) so I hit the abort button. The package manager quit but now it doesn’t work.

Trying to start the software management module (Qt version) give me the following error:

UI Syntax Error
Couldn’t load plug-in qt-pkg
Check the log file!

So I then tried the console version of YAST. The software management module doesn’t work here either.

It give me the following error:

UI Syntax Error
Couldn’t load plug-in ncurses_pkg
Check the log file!

I Googled a bit and came to the conclusion that for the second error I should try the following command:

zypper install yast2-ncurses-pkg

But this just gives me another error:

zypper: error while loading shared libraries: libzypp.so.619: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So now it appears that both YAST and zypper are corrupt!

Aborting a update is not the best idea. Sometimes things are just slow.

try as root

rpm --rebuilddb

It was taking 15 minutes to download a less than 300KB file, the progress bar for that file was not moving at all. I just lost patience.

I ran that command and I still get both errors :frowning:

I had the same (or similar) problem, which I guess occurred after an update although I did not abort the update. Please read on for my solution/workaround. Your mileage may vary …

When I started a YAST module, I got the error

libzypp.so.619 => not found

warning: the gtk frontend is installed but does not work
GTK GUI wanted but not found, falling back to Qt.
Error while creating client module printer

When I ran zypper --help from the command-line, I got

zypper: error while loading shared libraries: libzypp.so.619: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Which is correct, as the current version of libzipp was 631, at least according to ldconfig | grep libzypp

libzypp.so.631 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libzypp.so.631

Maybe a dependency of zypper was updated during the last update, but not zypper itself? When I checked libzypp.so.631, I saw that its symbolic link was created the 7th of May of this year. There was no symbolic link for libzypp.so.619 so I created one. In /usr/lib64 (note that I am running the 64 bits version) I did as root:

ln -s libzypp.so.631.0.4 libzypp.so.619

(for the sake of completeness, after that statement I also executed ldconfig, but I do not know for sure whether it is necessary).

Voilà, Yast modules start again and zypper also. Chances are this workaround breaks after another libzypp update …

Hope this helps,

Pieter.

Hi,

Small update to the problem that was reported and the workaround that I posted earlier.

As soon as I was able to do an online update again, a new version of zypper was installed that links to libzypp.so.631 instead of 619. This update was labeled a critical updated. Unfortuneately, the update could only be automatically installed when you have a working zypper (no pun intended).

Pieter.

This post is preliminary. I experienced nearly identical problem in the last couple days - after installing 11.2 KDE 4, on a new box. KDE update applet fails, says to try yast, yast fails gui and ncurses, silent. Zypper fails, complaining about libzypp.so.619 not existing. Couldn’t update via any method.

Created a link as noted, except in /usr/lib (because but 32 bit install, not 64):

At which point zypper is now updating as I write.

Hoping the fix holds, or the update fixes the problem.

Hiero2

zypper updated, yast update screen now works.

Just thought I’d confirm this also fixed my fresh install of 11.2 on a VMWare Workstation.
For the novices, open a terminal window, type (without the tics ') ‘SU’ and enter your root password (the password you typed in during install) then type ‘CD /usr/lib/’ , copy the above code line then paste it into the Terminal window and hit .
After it finished, I ran

zypper in -f yast2

in the same terminal window

Thanks for the help folks!
Oh and this also fixed Yast2 messages of “error while creating client module” when trying to open anything in Yast2.

Thx, worked well to me

I think the problem is not because of an aborted update. Coz, I encountered the same in a fresh installation.

Following the steps mentioned above i solved it by the following commands.

cd /usr/lib64 (i am using a 64-bit system)

That solved my problem. Now, both my yast2 and zypper are working properly.

Thanks for help.

dhuree wrote:
> Following the steps mentioned above i solved it by the following
> commands.
>
> cd /usr/lib64 (i am using a 64-bit system)
>
> ln -s libzypp.so.631.0.4 libzypp.so.619
>
> That solved my problem. Now, both my yast2 and zypper are working
> properly.

i hope you or junioma will file a bug and workaround to bugzilla, see:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

DenverD (Linux Counter 282315)
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
posted via NNTP w/TBird 2.0.0.23 | KDE 3.5.7 | openSUSE 10.3
2.6.22.19-0.4-default SMP i686
AMD Athlon 1 GB RAM | GeForce FX 5500 | ASRock K8Upgrade-760GX |
CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Hi,

Creating the link to

libzypp.so.619

with the existing libzypp did the trick for me also as reported by many people here.

Cheers !:slight_smile:

i keep this error DBus error : Unable to get transaction id from packagekit.
then i have a yellow triangle near clock then when i click on yast do manuelly still get error noticfcation from kupdateapplet

even when i try to installe software errors :’(

IT WORKS!!!:slight_smile: THANKS

Well, you need to be in the /usr/lib dir ( or /usr/lib64 ) and have root access for this. But…great you got it sorted.

I registered to say thanks, the workaround fixed this issue for me too.
I am honestly not sure how I got the issues in the first place, but I’ve installed opensuse for the first time only a couple weeks ago so I’m assuming the error was on a fresh install

fr wololo wrote:
> I registered to say thanks,

welcome to the forums, and openSUSE…
happy you got your issue sorted out…

stick around, at your pleasure…

CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio

Did anyone file a bug report on this?

I’v searched Bugzilla but cant find a obvius hit. I was hit by the same bug today during a normal update on a VMware guest system:

~ # zypper refresh
...bla..bla...
~ # zypper -n update -l
...bla....new kernel among lots of other stuff..bla...bla
Anvender delta: ./open-vm-tools-009.07.22-2.4_2.5.2.i586.delta.rpm [udført]
Installerer: open-vm-tools-2009.07.22-2.5.2 [0%]

Newer came any longer. I dont have any special repositories registered - only 11.2 oss, non-oss and update. Relevant lines from “ps fax” shows

20881 ?        Ss     0:00  \_ sshd: root@pts/0
20883 pts/0    Ss     0:00  |   \_ -bash
22244 pts/0    S+     0:02  |       \_ zypper -n update -l
23032 pts/0    Z+     0:00  |           \_ [rpm] <defunct>

After a while the system was shut down due to other circumstances and after reboot I had the same problem not being able to run zypper. The above cure enabled me to run zypper again but the run was completed with an error (sorry about the Danish)

~ # zypper update -l
Indlæser softwarekildedata...     
Opbygger cache for softwarekilden 'openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss' [udført]
Opbygger cache for softwarekilden 'openSUSE-11.2-Oss' [udført]    
Opbygger cache for softwarekilden 'openSUSE Updates for 11.2' [udført]
Læser installerede pakker...                                          

De følgende pakker vil blive opgraderet:
  python-satsolver yast2-ncurses-pkg yast2-pkg-bindings zypper 

4 pakker der opgraderes.
Samlet downloadstørrelse: 2,3 MiB. Efter transaktionen vil 87,0 KiB være frigjort.
Vil du fortsætte? [j/n/?] (j):                                                    
Henter pakke zypper-1.3.4-0.1.3.i586 (1/4), 859,0 KiB (3,6 MiB udpakket)          
Henter delta: ./rpm/i586/zypper-1.2.8_1.3.4-0.1.3.i586.delta.rpm, 532,0 KiB       
Henter: zypper-1.2.8_1.3.4-0.1.3.i586.delta.rpm [udført]                          
Anvender delta: ./zypper-1.2.8_1.3.4-0.1.3.i586.delta.rpm [udført]                
Installerer: zypper-1.3.4-0.1.3 [udført]                                          
Yderligere rpm-output:                                                            
Starting SuSEconfig, the SuSE Configuration Tool...                               
Running module permissions only                                                   
Reading /etc/sysconfig and updating the system...                                 
Executing /sbin/conf.d/SuSEconfig.permissions...
Checking permissions and ownerships - using the permissions files
        /etc/permissions
        /etc/permissions.easy
        /etc/permissions.d/mail-server
        /etc/permissions.d/postfix
        /etc/permissions.local
setting /usr/sbin/zypp-refresh-wrapper to root:root 4755. (wrong permissions 0755)
Finished.

Henter pakke yast2-ncurses-pkg-2.18.4-2.10.2.i586 (2/4), 235,0 KiB (695,0 KiB udpakket)
Henter: yast2-ncurses-pkg-2.18.4-2.10.2.i586.rpm [udført]
Installerer: yast2-ncurses-pkg-2.18.4-2.10.2 [udført]
Henter pakke python-satsolver-0.14.17-1.1.2.i586 (3/4), 740,0 KiB (1,9 MiB udpakket)
Henter delta: ./rpm/i586/python-satsolver-0.14.10_0.14.17-1.1.1_1.1.2.i586.delta.rpm, 77,0 KiB
Henter: python-satsolver-0.14.10_0.14.17-1.1.1_1.1.2.i586.delta.rpm [udført]
Anvender delta: ./python-satsolver-0.14.10_0.14.17-1.1.1_1.1.2.i586.delta.rpm [udført]
Installerer: python-satsolver-0.14.17-1.1.2 [udført]
Henter pakke yast2-pkg-bindings-2.18.11-1.3.1.i586 (4/4), 517,0 KiB (1,7 MiB udpakket)
Henter delta: ./rpm/i586/yast2-pkg-bindings-2.18.11-1.1.4_1.3.1.i586.delta.rpm, 38,0 KiB
Henter: yast2-pkg-bindings-2.18.11-1.1.4_1.3.1.i586.delta.rpm [udført]
Anvender delta: ./yast2-pkg-bindings-2.18.11-1.1.4_1.3.1.i586.delta.rpm [udført]
Installerer: yast2-pkg-bindings-2.18.11-1.3.1 [udført]
zypper: symbol lookup error: zypper: undefined symbol: _ZN4zypp18CheckAccessDeleted5checkEv
~ # 

System now runs zypper whitout complaining but I hope this last error does not indicate that my system is messed up.

Just a reply to self…
Found a bug report on my actual problem which was in upgrading open-vm-tools.

But still: Zypper should not be broken by when a another packet in update session freezes the update. At this time I wonder how much else zypper post processing was lost in the killed update.

Mr Manor wrote:
> System now runs zypper whitout complaining but I hope this last error
> does not indicate that my system is messed up.

if your seems ok now, then godt nok!

CMedia 9761 AC’97 Audio