Yast install issue when external USB drive attached

Hi,

I am having issues when trying to install packages with Yast when I have an external drive connected to the USB (WD My Passport).

Yast complains during the installation process that the partition on the My Passport is too small for the installation. I don’t know why yast is even looking at the My Passport.

If I have My Passport unpluged, yast is fine.

I don’t have any repositories referring to local drives.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Can you clarify.

Is this during install of opensuse? Or is it when adding packages after the install?

Is “My Passport” an NTFS drive, or have you reformatted to a different file system (and, if so, which file system)?

Does your box use UEFI or legacy booting? I’m not sure that would matter, but it helps to know if other folk want to try to reproduce the problem.

Thank you for your reply nrickert.

Answers to your questions:-

1- Post installation. Adding additional packages *.

2- I haven’t reformatted the drive. It is as it came from WD. ~>df -T gives the fs type as fuseblk.

3- How do I tell what boot mode it is? grup2 is that helpful?

Thanks
Peter

• during the opensuse installation process an item referring to the USB image was entered into the respository. This caused some problems (if I didn’t have the USB inserted) until I worked out that I had to manually remove the reference.

Then it is likely NTFS. I have one of those, so I might experiment tomorrow.

3- How do I tell what boot mode it is? grup2 is that helpful?

Is it “grub2” or “grub2-efi”? You probably can’t tell.

Maybe try the command “bootctl” (as an ordinary user is fine).

If that’s still not clear, then try, as root

# efibootmgr -v

If that gives an error (about “efivars”) then you are legacy booting. If that gives a numbered list of bootable systems, then you are using UEFI.

• during the opensuse installation process an item referring to the USB image was entered into the respository. This caused some problems (if I didn’t have the USB inserted) until I worked out that I had to manually remove the reference.

I don’t think that should be related to your problem (but I could be wrong).

Is your “My Passport” drive nearly full? I seem to recall seeing a bug report about Yast checking free space on drives that it would not even be using. You might have run into that.

Hi nrickert,

The efibootmgr -v command gives errors.

The My Passport usage is only 12% of 1TB.

Thanks again
Peter

This might be a nice and maybe correct conclusion, but you should always show what yoy do and what you get, Only then will your helpers have the chance to see exactly what yoy see and eventualy draw their own conclusions. Thus you copy/paste the complete happening (prompt, command, output, next prompt) from the terminal into the post between CODE tags. You get the CODE tags by clicking on the # button in the tool bar above the post editor.

Example (with a different command):

henk@boven:~> uname -a
Linux boven 3.12.57-44-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 6 09:18:15 UTC 2016 (9b4534f) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
henk@boven:~>

Thank you for your cooperation.

Okay.

I’m going to test this on my systems, to see if I can reproduce the problem. I’ll post back to this thread after testing.

I was unable to reproduce the bug.

That doesn’t mean that it isn’t happening. It’s probably more complicated and my testing did not produce the conditions for this.

I did search bugzilla. I think what you are seeing is bug 962226. According to the report, this is fixed on SLE. Apparently the fix has not made its way to Leap.

If you have a Windows computer, you might mount the USB disk in Windows. And then try changing the disk label from “My Passport” to something else (say “My_Passport”). Apparently the space in that name is involved in the bug.

“Space - the final frontier…”

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head nrickert. The bugzilla report seems exactly what is happening.

I have a process running on that drive at the moment (analysing and converting a very large database) which will take a few more days to complete. I will try your suggestion when it is done.

Thank you (and everyone else) for your assistance.
Peter