Yast in Suse 13.1

When installing an application, YAST does not seem to be completing the configuration. Everything appears to proceed normally, but menus, libraries, fonts etc. ( Tasks that were done by SUSEconfig pre 12.3) are not happening and even when launched from a command line fail. All applications I’ve tried fail the same way. This pretty much renders the whole system useless.

There must be something fundamentally wrong with the install (er). Can you advise any next steps?

Clean install, Suse 13.1 x86_64 from day one DVD. Plain vanilla AMD single core /w 2GB (my test bed machine)

Thanks
Dave

So, tell us about your PC setup, hard disk partitions and so forth. I am running openSUSE 13.1 with no issues and it installed OK. We need to get to the bottom of what failed for you. The more details you can provide, the better.

Thank You,

Like James, I like to here more information. What is “failingt”. A good problem description has three points:

• what did you do (installed applcation x using Yast from repo y, please at least mention one as an example when you have more);
  • what did you expect to happen;
  • what happened instead.

And please when describing things, take it not for granted the other people do things the same way as you do them, think the same way as you do, see things you see, etc. Explain, explain, explain.

OK, hardware description
Very basic computer, used to test new software

Hp a1222n single core AMD Anthlon <sp?> 64bit CPU. 2 GB ram
250 GB sata drive 60GB /, 6GB swap, 160 odd GB /home.
Installed from day zero 13.1 64-bit dvd, verified
Accepted all defaults except added update repos during second install,
formatting all partitions.

On the first install, I blindly added all the applications
I normally use, all installed the same, no menu entries, libraries not found etc.
For this install, I’m only loading ‘kfind’, small and quick.

By Failing. Once the install is complete and successful, Open Yast->Software Management.
Select an application, to keep it simple I chose “kfind” small and quick to install. Yast enters the usual sequence
Download…Installing…close.

This should, as in the past, create an icon on the menu to run the program. No such luck. Running from a terminal gives an error message ( I’m not at that machine today so I can’t c&p ).

This is the second attempt, the first install I blindly installed all the programs I normally use (multi-media editing mostly) all acted the same way, hence the very simple test on the second install.

I’ll investigate further after work. Anything I should look for?

Thanks for the responses so quickly.
Dave

On 2013-11-27 20:26, davidlcory wrote:

> This should, as in the past, create an icon on the menu to run the
> program. No such luck. Running from a terminal gives an error message (
> I’m not at that machine today so I can’t c&p ).

We need to see that message.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

Ok, running kfind from a console I get

cory@linux-an47:~> kfind
KComboBox::setTrapReturnKey not supported with a non-KLineEdit. 

and the console needs ^c to return a prompt.

I also tried to install audacity. the same, no menu update. When I try from the console, I get no response from the console or on the GUI, and it cannot be killed ( ^c or kill -TERM pid or kill -9 pid ).

Just to make matters more interesting, firefox opens but cannot connect or close, dolphin just bounces its icon for a minute or so then disappears and the system is very slow ( 2 minutes from “quit” in kwrite to the window actually closing ). I’ve installed openSuse dozens of time on different systems, from 10.0 up and this is totally different.

Also, I verified the hardware is good, it was running openSUSE 12.3 x86-64 on this partition, and 12.2 x86-64 on another still works fine.

Any other info that would help, let me know. This is a test system, special hardware (plain pci bus for one card ) really, so I’m not dead in the water but I would like to update the rest.

Thanks for you help

Baffled,
Dave

On 2013-11-29 01:36, davidlcory wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2602845 Wrote:

>> We need to see that message.

> Ok, running kfind from a console I get
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> cory@linux-an47:~> kfind
> KComboBox::setTrapReturnKey not supported with a non-KLineEdit.
> --------------------
>
>
> and the console needs ^c to return a prompt.

Oh. I thought it was an error from YaST. It’s no use then.

> Just to make matters more interesting, firefox opens but cannot connect

Is the network ok?

> Any other info that would help, let me know. This is a test system,
> special hardware (plain pci bus for one card ) really, so I’m not dead
> in the water but I would like to update the rest.

A few people have reported very slow machines with 13.1, but no one yet
knows why for sure.

One suspect could be the video driver.

Did you manage to run updates?

Can you check if another desktop (not KDE) responds ok?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)

I know you have seen this many times, but the fastest way to upgrade the open source video driver is to load up a newer kernel. Here is my blog on the subject here:

openSUSE and Installing New Linux Kernel Versions - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thanks to all, I’l give it a try.
my plan of attack will be
Yast an update all
add sysstat module
perhaps add a new user with gnome? see what happens
maybe something from stats from sar etc. may point to somewhere.

This is so unusual, I expected config changes… maybe its older hardware?

Well once more into the breech

Have fun
Dave

Well, I’ve come to the conclusion that my problem is related to ancient video ( ATI/AMD express200 ) that is not supported by newer X.org systems and OSS nor proprietary drivers. Can’t expect support forever. I’ll fall back to 12.2-i586 since I need the hardware support and compatibility.

Thank you all for your kind support on this issue, but it just isn’t that critical for this system. I’ll give it a whirl on a newer system. Perfect fallback plan, swap in a new TB drive first.

Thanks All

Dave

p.s. I hope I closed this thread right.

That is fine.