Xserver seems to crash spontaneously

Hi,

my OpenSuse 11.3 worked absolutely perfect - till now !
It suddenly started not to load KDE, but instead prompts the login screen. When i then log in, it just crashes after a minute or so. I tried to boot in IceWm and it appeared more stable to me, but when i opened a programm like firefox or gimp, this Environment crashed too.

What can i do ? What do you need to know ?

kind regards,
james

james, how long did you have openSUSE 11.3 with KDE running before you started having problems? Which version of KDE are you using now? The default is KDE version 4.4, but you can upgrade to version 4.5. Did you upgrade anything at all just before the problems started?

Thank You,

Hi,

well i now believe, that the problem arises from some deeper layer in my computer. Windows starts to have similar problems.
When i try to open some graphic-intense programm, like Starcraft II or even firefox it quits these tasks immediately - same for linux.

I think i should check the graphics card or my mainboard … but why should it suddenly break down ?

Kind regards and thanks for your answer,
James

I’m quite confused and a little scared :wink: (not really…) - i just pushed slightly on my graphics card and now everything works fine again. Seems as if there was a loose connection…

I think i should check the graphics card or my mainboard … but why should it suddenly break down ?
Hardware works just fine until it stops working. lol!

Azarazul I’m quite confused and a little scared :wink: (not really…) - i just pushed slightly on my graphics card and now everything works fine again. Seems as if there was a loose connection…
Well, if you do anything much inside your computer case or move your computer case around, then it is possible to get a loss adapter cards. Before re-seating any adapter card, make sure your PC is off and the power plug pulled out. You don’t want to make anything worse while performing a fix.

None the less, I am happy to hear you found your problem and everything is better now.

Thank You,