Xserver resets after reboot

Hi,

Can anybody please tell me what I’m doing wrong, or not doing please :slight_smile:

I have a Geforce GTX 460 GPU and I recently switched from Ubuntu to Suse 11 and I have installed the latest Nvidia drivers (the same as I had on Ubuntu)

In Ubuntu I had configured the xserver to display my desktop on my LCD monitor and my LED TV as clones and everything worked fine

When I change the settings in Suse everything works fine until I restart the Xserver. All my settings disappear and everything is back to the standard settings again.

It doesn’t seem to make any difference whether I have root privileges or not, and I have tried saving to etc/X11/xorg.conf., etc/X11/xorg.conf.install, etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup but each time I reboot everything is back to the default settings again.

In Ubuntu I just saved the new settings to etc/X11/xorg.conf. and restarted the Xserver and all was fine.

Here is a copy of what I saved to the X config file:

nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings

nvidia-settings: version 270.41.06 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com) Mon Apr 18 15:15:00 PDT 2011

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “Layout0”
Screen 0 “Screen0” 0 0
InputDevice “Keyboard0” “CoreKeyboard”
InputDevice “Mouse0” “CorePointer”
Option “Xinerama” “0”
EndSection

Section “Files”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
# generated from default
Identifier “Mouse0”
Driver “mouse”
Option “Protocol” “auto”
Option “Device” “/dev/psaux”
Option “Emulate3Buttons” “no”
Option “ZAxisMapping” “4 5”
EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
# generated from default
Identifier “Keyboard0”
Driver “kbd”
EndSection

Section “Monitor”
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier “Monitor0”
VendorName “Unknown”
ModelName “BenQG2222HDL”
HorizSync 24.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 76.0
Option “DPMS”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “Device0”
Driver “nvidia”
VendorName “NVIDIA Corporation”
BoardName “GeForce GTX 460”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “Screen0”
Device “Device0”
Monitor “Monitor0”
DefaultDepth 24
Option “TwinView” “1”
Option “TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder” “DFP-0”
Option “metamodes” “DFP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0, DFP-2: nvidia-auto-select +0+0”
SubSection “Display”
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

When I restart the Xserver or reboot the system and rerun Nvidia setting with root privileges I get the following errors:

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 48 of configuration file ‘/root/.nvidia-settings-rc’ (the
currently enabled display devices are DFP-0 on linux-c0rf:0.0).

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 50 of configuration file ‘/root/.nvidia-settings-rc’ (the

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 52 of configuration file ‘/root/.nvidia-settings-rc’ (the

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 54 of configuration file ‘/root/.nvidia-settings-rc’ (the

ERROR: Invalid display device DFP-2 specified on line 56 of configuration file ‘/root/.nvidia-settings-rc’ (the

and all the settings are defaulted :frowning:

What am I doing wrong/missing please :slight_smile:

Many thanks

I have solved my problem on my own :wink:

in Ubuntu the xorg.conf file stored in etc/X11 sets the monitor configuration at boot, but in Suse there is no need for a xorg.conf file. The information is stored under etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/monitor.conf instead and I simply added the file there and restarted X server.

Now Suse displays to both my monitor and my TV from boot as I wanted :slight_smile:

On a personal note, I think that Suse is much better than Ubuntu.