XP fades away... OpenSuSE+VirtualBox to replace?

I’m going to have to upgrade my DV6000 laptop in the next year, and it looks like XP-laptops (I sometimes must use XP) are not going to be around much longer, so I was thinking I might instead optimize my laptop purchase for OpenSuSE, then run XP in VirtualBox. This is backwards from what I used to do, which was to buy a known XP-friendly laptop, then try to adapt OpenSuSE to it. I need a good, solid, “mainstream,” well-supported laptop that is totally-good with OpenSuSE (works OOB). I’m not sure how complete or authoritative the HCLs are…

I was looking at the Toshiba Tecra A11…

TIA for any good leads/advice/experience,

Patti

Both my lenovo’s work brilliantly. The G550 being the newer of the 2. No black magic required

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for faster processor, but I guess it’s just Lenovo’s in general that are known to work fine with OpenSUSE? Did the installer find your wireless, etc.? TigerDirect had a Lenovo and the Toshiba and the Toshiba seemed a little cheaper. Of course, even a core-2 Duo (2+GHz) is faster than my current AMD turion64 1.6GHz on my DV6000.

My R61 has intel and works OOTB

The G550 has broadcom and needed Packman broadcom-wl in 11.2
But in 11.3 it works OOTB with kernel b43 driver

My ASUS (and my previous one) work OOTB. WiFi is an Atheros 9 series in the current one, rest is in the sig. Both nouveau and nv drivers work, for 3D the proprietary driver from NVIDIA is needed. The SSD makes it to a true performance monster.

On 05/01/2010 09:36 PM, caf4926 wrote:
>
> My R61 has intel and works OOTB
>
> The G550 has broadcom and needed Packman broadcom-wl in 11.2
> But in 11.3 it works OOTB with kernel b43 driver

For most users[1], the BCM4312 with PCI ID 14e4:4315 has worked since
kernel 2.6.32. OpenSUSE 11.2 just missed that kernel.

The b43 team is now working on adding the 802.11n chips to b43. A lot of
the code in in the 2.6.34 kernel, but not enough for it to work yet.
Those chips will have to wait until openSUSE 11.4 or 12.0, whichever
comes next.

[1] The exceptions are some netbook computers. They either freeze on
loading ssb, or they get DMA errors. Although a lot of effort has gone
into trying to fix these problems, we currently do not have a fix.

It turns out I just had to download the driver from HP and the wireless works fine under OpenSuSE 11.1 (the Vista driver for this doesn’t work). I installed VirtualBox and then XP-32 and it runs great. No obvious speed lag because it’s a VM. And I can switch back to Linux on a moment’s notice. So the HP ProBook 4510s is a keeper for Linux.