Xorg intel driver cannot find LVDS output

Hi,

I’m running Opensuse 11.1 and everything was working fine with my up-to-date Xorg packages from the X11/Xorg repository until the last update, from which xorg crashes because intel driver cannot find kernel modesetting.

So I enabled kernel modeset (KMS) and now X cannot find the LVDS1 screen. An external VGA Monitor is detected properly and allows the driver to run well. I tried with the old xorg.conf, with sax -r generated xorg.conf, and with no xorg.conf (as with KMS enabled is not necessarily needed anymore).

As I say, its a matter of the last update from the Xorg repo.

My graphic card is an Intel 945GME.
For the record:

X.Org X Server 1.6.5
Release Date: 2009-10-11
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: openSUSE SUSE LINUX
Current Operating System: Linux 2.6.32-36-pae #1 SMP 2009-12-04 00:41:46 +0100 i686

The Xorg.0.log last lines:

(II) intel(0): Integrated Graphics Chipset: Intel(R) 945GME
(–) intel(0): Chipset: “945GME”
(==) intel(0): video overlay key set to 0x101fe
(II) intel(0): Output VGA3 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS3 has no monitor section
(II) intel(0): Output VGA3 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS3 disconnected
(WW) intel(0): No outputs definitely connected, trying again…
(II) intel(0): Output VGA3 disconnected
(II) intel(0): Output LVDS3 disconnected
(WW) intel(0): Unable to find initial modes
(==) intel(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(EE) intel(0): No modes.
(II) UnloadModule: “intel”
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

I haven’t found any report of this bug yet so I’d like to know where it can be submitted and how.

Thanks in advance,

PS.
Also, i tried restoring all the xorg packages to the OSS version and to the repo-update versions, but they all crash for different reasons (probably i’d need to downgrade my kernel too). Any idea for a fix that allows me to keep the new kernel and uxa acceleration?

Hi,

i found some explanations and a work around. It’s clear to me now that it is a problem with Kernel Mode Setting.

The first thing to take into account is that kernel>=2.6-32 activates ‘modesetting’ (KMS) by default.

The second thing to know is that the intel driver forces the use of KMS from version 2.9.1.

So, until the intel driver developers fix the newer drivers, the workaround is to go back to xf86-video-intel 2.9.0 version and disable by hand KMS.

To do this you need to restart your computer adding “nomodeset” in the kernel parameters line in Grub.

Next, you need to download the xf86-video-intel-2.9.0 driver from Intel Linux Graphics, compile and install it. Make sure that the latest version of xorg-x11-server-sdk is installed (from the opensuse Xorg repository) and that you do “./configure --prefix=/usr/” so the installation goes in the right place. “make && make install” should get the working driver back and X back to work with the previous configuration.

I hope someone finds this useful enough.