Xonar DG S/PDIF output

Hi, I’m trying to get S/PDIF work on Xonar DG sound card. I tried to enable Digital stereo (IEC958) output from KDE’s settings, unmuted S/PDIF through alsamixer, but still, I cannot get any sound through this. The setup is that I have connected my sound card to my receiver with optical cable.
If it helps, here is some info, I have tried Audio troubleshooting guide, didn’t help.


The audio troubleshooting guide likely did not help because I wrote it, I do not have an S/PDIF myself, and I know nothing about S/PDIF. Sorry. We need someone with S/PDIF experience to udpate that guide (which is getting very old and long-in-the-tooth).

What can you teach me about S/PDIF so I can try and help ?

When I look at your mixer I note:

**Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0**
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Loopback',0**
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Validity Check',0**
  Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined
  Capture channels: Mono
  Mono: Capture **[off]**
**Simple mixer control 'Digital Input Monitor',0**
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 1
  Mono: Playback 1 [100%] [0.00dB] **[off]**

ie everything to do with IEC958 and digital audio is OFF. Is that how it is supposed to be with S/PDIF ?

Have you tried to install pavucontrol and use it to tune your audio settings in pulse audio ? There is guidance here with pavucontrol (in these two blogs). … Neither mention S/PDIF but those blogs may still give you some ideas:

Although you said you dont know anything about s/pdif, you solved my problem! All I had to do was install pavucontrol and unmute CMI8786 (Xonar DG) Digital stereo (IEC958) and now receiver activates Pro Logic II to turn stereo to surround, and all works flawless! Thanks!

Well … you solved it. I just passed some ideas.

Congratulations and glad to read this is working. Thank-you for sharing your solution.

It reads like, if/when I get the time (which is difficult now as my non-GNU/Linux paid job is taking up a lot of my spare time) I need to update the Audio Troubleshooting guide.