XFCE4 changing file associations

Hi there.
Every time I open a file with another application different than the default one (right click/ open with…) the default application to open that kind of file changes to the one I chose in that moment, what is very annoying.
Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?.
Thanks in advance.

kernel 6.6.3-1-default
xfce 4.18

https://www.reddit.com/r/xfce/comments/13ph0ee/xfce_418_default_applications_always_get_changed/

1 Like

Maybe it’s because its status it’s set as User Set (mp4 for example). But I don’t know how to set it as default after trying the different ways I found via right button or checking the box in the open with dialog window.

First I do not use XFCE, so I can not comment on why XFCE does do this.

But what you show above is IMO correct. It shows that video/mp4 is not the default value, but is set by the user. Your problem is that it should not be set by the user if he only uses that setting for a (for him) special case. Setting this should only be done through this window.

1 Like

it seems I needed to set an app as default and it wasn’t. And when I do that the status doesn’t change but it seems it’s correctly configured and now the default app doesn’t change.
Then upstream should change things in order to distinguish clearly between if an app it’s set up as default and if it isn’t, because the message is the same “user set”.
I’ll be watching it to be sure it’s working ok.
Thanks so much for your answers and ideas.

The deity quick fix for this that works is:
mouse right click the file, image, music, etc - click open with-- open with other application—"choose the application you want to use and check the box with "Use as default application for this kind of file.

To try open a jpeg image and do as above
Then open a png image and do as above.
The result will be the default application that you want to be the default.

I think you missed the problem. He does NOT want to change the default, he only wants to open one particular file for one time with an application that is not the default. That works, but after that the default changed to that only-one-time-to-be-used application. And that was definitely not what he expected to happen.

1 Like

Maybe I miss it or I didn’t understand the question, but my procedure is fine. it is how I setup my default application. I can open every file with my default application anytime and nothing changes it.
Might be a bug in Xfce but mine here is fine.

That is exactly what this thread is about. Informing the OP that the bug does not exist in the unidentified DE that you use does not really help.

1 Like

I am using Xfce :grinning: it’s my main DE for 15 years now. :grinning:

Then I found this confusing:

Sorry for that.

In any case the OP is not interested in changing his default application for MP4 files to something different from the installation default. He is interested in being able to use another program on an MP4 files without that changing his setting there.

1 Like