xen-kernel-devel-2.6.34.7-0.3

I am using the xen kernel that I installed on my 11.3 system and I looking for kernel-xen-devel-2.6.34.7-0.3 so I can manually install a Nvidia driver (proprietary) and it seems unavailable from software.opensuse.org: Download openSUSE 11.3
any suggestions?
thank you
ed.

The file that you seek is in the standard update repository, one you should have installed by default. But if not, here is the link:

http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.3/

Do not include the quotes added so you can see the actual name you enter into the YaST / Software Repository / as a HTTP URL.

Thank You,

I could have sworn it wasn’t there… but it is.
thank you.

Happy to be of service ed_v and welcome to the openSUSE forums as I see you are new to these parts. Please do not hesitate to ask for more assistance if you need it. Here is some added information about the forums.

Fourm Message Counts:

As you start or answer any message thread here in the openSUSE forums.

Puzzled Penguin 0-49 (new users start with this level)
Student Penguin 50-99
Explorer Penguin 100-249
Busy Penguin 250-499
Parent Penguin 500-999
Wise Penguin 1000-1999
Omniscient Penguin 2000

FYI here are the reputation levels:

As you reward another user for the help they have provided you using
the reputation icon is in the lower left of any message that you read
and looks like a star.

REPUTATION LEVELS:

User is infamous around these parts -99999
User can only hope to improve -50
User has a little shameless behaviour in the past -10
User is an unknown quantity at this point 0-9 (new users start with this level)
User is on a distinguished road 10-49
User will become famous soon enough 50-149
User has a spectacular aura about 150-249
User is a jewel in the rough 250-349
User is just really nice 350-449
User is a glorious beacon of light 450-549
User is a name known to all 550-649
User is a splendid one to behold 650-999
User has much to be proud of 1000-1499
User has a brilliant future 1500-1999
User has a reputation beyond repute 2000
Thank You,

ok maybe my understanding is mistaken, but I thought the xen kernel headers would be in the kernel-xen-devel package.
its either that or I don’t know where the xen kernel headers are and subsequently I can’t build the nvidia modules.

So when you say nvidia modules, do you mean the normal ones like nouveau which is installed automatically or do you mean the binary drivers, which you can install manually, after you have installed your kernel version? While I have not tried to install xen, the kernel-source files seems to be all that is required to install the binary driver.

Thank You,

I am referring to the proprietary driver supplied by Nvidia.
so far I got the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2.run files extracted by using the --extract-only option.
and when trying to build the proprietary module with the xen kernel headers from the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-185.18.36-pkg2/usr/src/nv directory using the command ‘IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y make SYSSRC=/lib/modules/uname -r/build module’ I get the error message

If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
you either have configured kernel sources matching your
kernel or the correct set of kernel headers installed
on your system.

If you are using a Linux 2.6 kernel, please make sure
you have configured kernel sources matching your kernel
installed on your system. If you specified a separate
output directory using either the "KBUILD_OUTPUT" or
the "O" KBUILD parameter, make sure to specify this
directory with the SYSOUT environment variable or with
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

Depending on where and how the kernel sources (or the
kernel headers) were installed, you may need to specify
their location with the SYSSRC environment variable or
the equivalent nvidia-installer command line option.

*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***

make: *** [select_makefile] Error 1

which is confusing because the directory /lib/modules/uname -r/build exists.

So you are trying to compile the files into the kernel yourself? This is as opposed to just installing the nVidia driver after you have installed the kernel that you want to use. What are you trying to do with this compiled kernel exactly? I have never tried to do this with the nVidia proprietary driver and in fact I just load it directly after any kernel update or installation and all works properly with my video card.

Thank You,

the Nvidia installer complains about the xen kernel, normally.
let me double check that I cannot run the installer normally with the IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y flag maybe that will work…
I need to double check for sure, but I remember that I tried to install Nvidia propietary yesterday it complained and aborted the installation.

ed_v the Nvidia installer complains about the xen kernel, normally.
let me double check that I cannot run the installer normally with the IGNORE_XEN_PRESENCE=y flag maybe that will work…
I need to double check for sure, but I remember that I tried to install Nvidia propietary yesterday it complained and aborted the installation.
That sounds like a good thing to try. Please let us know of the result.

Thank You,

I tried the normal way and I tried several different methods to install the proprietary Nvidia driver (including but not limited to restructuring a copy of the source directory tree and files) I am unable to install…
here is the most basic error that I have after going full circle with modifying the source and leaving the source default.

-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in
       '/lib/modules/2.6.34.7-0.3-xen/source'.  Please make sure you have
       installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are
       properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you
       have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know
       the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the
       kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

I don’t really know how to pass the version of the kernel sources to gcc (if necessary) or the Nvidia installer without hard coding the makefiles.

Now we have not talked about this since that was not the essence of your original question, but there are a couple things you must do to install the nVidia driver, the hard way when using openSUSE 11.3.

1. You must start your kernel load with the option nomodeset
  2. You must enter run mode 3

The nomodeset command must be left as a permanent kernel load option and failure to use nomodeset and 3 (for run level 3) will prevent the nVidia driver from installing. Finally, once you get it installed, it is suggested that you also set the kernel option NO_KMS_IN_INITRD=yes (in the file /etc/sysconfig/kernel) in openSUSE YaST. If you know all of this then fine, but just to make sure, I had to say it before we go any further.

Thank You,

yeah I cut a corner with the nodemset in menu.lst…
gonna try with that option.
thank you for helping.

same error, for some reason the Nvidia installer can’t determine the version of the kernel source from the input files i.e. the files supplied through kernel-xen-devel…
I looked over the makefiles briefly, maybe get into them deeper… maybe.