XBMC segmentation fault in KDE 4.3 RC1

I recently upgraded to KDE 4.3 RC1 and have now experienced this error when trying to run XBMC.

/usr/bin/xbmc: line 3: 4325 Segmentation fault python /usr/share/xbmc/FEH.py “$@”

I installed the 64-bit version from Packman (9.04-13.pm.12), and made sure python-kde4 and python-qt4 were both installed since this has been an issue with KDE 4.2.x previously.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm…maybe I’m the only one having this issue…

You’re not the only one, same thing happening to me. Since XBMC works perfectly ok for me on another, 32-bit machine, (installed at the same time, so version numbers match) could this be a problem with 64-bit?

I’ll try to investgate the Python script that gets called by /usr/bin/xbmc (“FEH.py”) to see where exactly the error occurs. As a workaround in the meantime, you can try calling “/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin” directly (gets run anyway by /usr/bin/xbmc after FEH.py is done) - this seems to work quite OK for me (haven’t tested this thoroughly though).

Well, apparently for me it segfaults on line 9 of FEH.py:

“from qt import *”

So, does that mean that pyQt is broken in KDE 4.3 RC1 64-bit? Anyone else to confirm it?

How very interesting…I wouldn’t be surprised if it was exclusive to the 64-bit version since there have historically been more issues on that platform.

I haven’t been able to test it out in RC2 yet, so I’ll have to wait and see if it magically resolves itself or if I have to make a sacrifice to the technology gods.

I am on suse 11.1 64 bit /w KDE 4.2

Got the same EM.

The workaround to run the application from works!

/usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin

The workaround does the job. I edited the menu with kmenuedit, now it starts every time. :wink: