X-server/display driver does not start on primary display every 2nd boot

I run openSuSE 13.2 64bit with KDE desktop on a HP EliteBook 8440p (1600*1400 display, NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics). Before that, I had 13.1 running on the same system without any troubles (except for hibernate/suspend/sleep, everything worked). I did not upgrade - because this stopped with an error - but did a clean install on a clean root partition. On 13.1, display driver Nouveau worked out of the box, with laptop screen and an additional LCD as 2nd display from time to time.

After installing 13.2, I face the following issues:

Exactly every second boot, the xserver does not start on the primary display - the notebook display remains black. This happens regardless whether a 2nd display is attached or not, and regardless whether a 2nd display had been attached at shut down time before. I am mostly using only the notebook display without a 2nd display …

I have noticed that if it happens that I have a second display available, in fact there is an output on that display, so in these rare cases I can do a shutdown and restart to make the primary display work (because, just as I wrote, every 2nd boot the primary display works!).

Ok, what have I tried? Of course, I changed the kernel parameters at boot time to display all messages. However, this did not help at all. I tried the NVidia driver, but this driver does not even work at all on the primary display, it only serves the secondary display, even after running nvidia-settings. I replaced xorg.conf, temporarily deleted it, edited it, and so on. But - to be honest: I am a user, not a programmer, and my feeling is that this now gets by far to complicated for me!

Currently, I am waiting for Linux Mint 17.1 KDE to replace my openSuSE because this issue drives me crazy (it takes up to 5 minutes to start my notebook, with boot, blind shut down, re-boot to get it working). But I like openSuSE - is this a know issue,and does it happen that there is a fix, or has someone an idea how to solve this?

Thanks! Any help is very much appreciated!

Eriol

Ok that computer seems to be an optimus based one ie Intel+NVIDIA.GPU you CAN NOT use the normal NVIDIA driver with this optimus based machine unless the BIOS as some method to turn off the Intel GPU (some machines can some can’t)

If you intend to use the NVIDIA you must install bumblebee. Follow the instruction exactly do not deviate.

https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_Bumblebee

Note before following the instruction on this page first you must fully remove any regular NVIDIA driver you installed. If you need instructions ask. Not removing all the normal drive packages will in general lead to a major set of discussions here. . :open_mouth:

Thanks for the answer. I am not sure about this - how can I check to see whether there is really also an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD inside? I had a look in the KInfocenter and I cannot find the Intel graphics under PCI information (the whole Intel stuff is in there, plus the NVIDIA hardware). It seems that just a few models where shipped with integrated plus discrete graphics.

Furthermore, as I said it works exactly every second boot. And with Opensuse 13.1, I had no such issues at all.

When you say I should de-install all nvidia graphics drivers, does this mean also the whole nouveau stuff? In fact I am a bit afraid that I would run into more serious issues afterwards as then no graphics is installed at all …

Best regards

Eriol

No just the packages with nvidia in the name leave the nouveau stuff alone.

lspci should show all graphic chips.

As a rule the Intel GPU comes on the CPU. In fact is is getting almost impossible to get a consumer CPU anymore without some GPU on it. AMD or Intel

lspci shows this, I cannot find the Intel graphics:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 12)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 12)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset KT Controller (rev 06)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 06)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 06)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev 06)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 06)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a6)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 06)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218M [NVS 3100M] (rev a2)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
44:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
45:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 06)
45:06.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 25)
45:06.2 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev bb)
ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 02)
ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 02)
ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 02)
ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)
ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core Processor Reserved (rev 02)

Maybe so then a quick lookup of your model seems to shoe Intel+NVIDA. And the web never lies :stuck_out_tongue:

In that case I’m stumped Which NVIDIA driver did you install? Look in Yast search for NVIDIA see if you have GO2 or GO3 driver packages installed. Note you should not have both. Also check the package names against the flavor of the kernel. If you made no changes you should have desktop flavor. 2 of the packages should have desktop in the name.

Was this a clean new install or an upgrade?? If upgrade you will need to reinstall the NVIDA drivers since they don’t get updated because they are proprietary. You need to manually update then

Yes, this was a clean install. I would prefer to run nouveau. When I tried the proprietary NVIDIA driver I had the G03 version from the opensuse.org nvidia repos, the most recent one.

And again, if the notebook’s screen remains black, the 2nd monitor, if attached, works. I assume that for some reason, the primary display is not correctly detected every second boot. I did some tests with the xorg.conf but what I did not yet do is hacking a specific xorg.conf all by myself. I am not familiar with the syntax, and I would then need to put in my two screens. The primary is 1600900, the external one 13xx7xx.

Ok you set it up in desktop? Which?

Did you run the nvidia settings?

As I wrote in my initial post - I run openSuSE 13.2 64bit with KDE desktop on a HP EliteBook 8440p (1600*900 display, NVIDIA NVS 3100M graphics). I changed the kernel parameters at boot time to display all messages. However, this did not help at all. I tried the NVidia driver, but this driver does not even work at all on the primary display, it only serves the secondary display, even after running nvidia-settings. nvidia-settings did not work to get the primary displax running. Actually, with the nvidia driver, the primary (laptop) display never worked.

But as I said, nouveau does a great job for me, if I would get nouveau running as it did in 13.1 I would be happy.

Eriol

Well, then, uninstall the nVidia drivers, then remove the blacklist for nouveau, which possibly does not get cleared when you remove the nVidia drivers.

If you ever installed the hard way and did not uninstall using the hard way methods you can have things left in not a pristine state.

Ok, even though this threat is a bit older I want to provide some feedback as I have now solved the issue:

For some time I ‘accepted’ that I normally had to boot into Linux twice all tghe time in order to get a running system and intended to install Linux Mint afterwards … But finally - and luckily - I found out that it is in fact not the video driver which causes the issues, but a setting in KDE! KDE seems to have some configuration files that directly influence the video driver/window manager. By just renaming the .kde folder, the problem has been solved. I now have the latest nvidia driver running quite stable on my system.

BTW: Is there any way to “clean up” a KDE user profile after (or before) changing/re-installation but to keep application settings? Of course, one can just copy&paste app settings manually, but is there any other more “official” way (a GUI tool) for this purpose?

Eriol

No GUI sorry