X hosed after software upgrade via yast

After installing leap 42.2 I’ve been spending days fixing multiple new problems, abd today I ran yast and did tge software upgrade. After it finished it notified me to reboot asap, since the kernel was upgraded. So I did. Now X won’t start, I just get a black screen with an underbar character in the top left corner. No mouse curser, nothing. There’s no response to tge keyboard, Cannot restart X or reboot from the keyboard.

I can Ctrl-Alt F1 to a terminal and login there. Then I can kill X, but that only results in the same problem. I can do a shutdown - r, but that also doesn’t make any difference, X simply won’t start.

How to fix this?

What video card???

I really don’t know. Give me a command line to type into the terminal that will answer that, and I’ll post it here.

One thing I do know is that it’s part of the motherboard, not a separate card.

lspci

should list the card

It says:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06)

NEW SYMPTOMS:

I have NoMachine installed on my Galaxy Tab, and on a hunch I tried to use it to connect with the computer. Surprisingly, it connected and I got a display using NoMachine! This tells me that the X server is running, it’s just not presenting any display to the monitor. Anyone know the cause and how to fix this?

Also, I’ve noticed that my NFS also stopped working at the same time. Other subsystems are probably affected too, I just haven’t noticed them yet among all the other problems I’ve been having. I’m starting to think that installing this Leap 42.2 was a big mistake, as I’ve never had so many problems all at once right after a new install.

Which desktop? KDM? if so probably use SSDM Did yo try a different desktop DO you get the login?

Yes, KDM.
No, can’t try other desktops. No gui, just a black screen - it never gets as far as a login. I don’t think I have any other desktop installed, I deselected anything except KDE during installation. I never use anything but KDE, and don’t have the drive space to hold software I never use.

Try another DM maybe KDM (have to install) If you don’t know how to switch via Yast ask

There have been may reported problem with some Intel GPU reference https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/521519-Screen-Freeze-on-Leap-42-2-only-option-is-reboot

Though this does not sound like the problem you see But it is a Intel driver problem try the solution from there

Hi
What about checking the output from /var/log/Xorg.0.log should show any errors…

Also what file system in use, the default btrfs? If so, you may be low on space since you indicate a small partition?

It’s pretty much Greek to me, so I copied it to ftp://behne.ddns.net/Linux in hopes that my ftp server won’t crash like everything else. Maybe you can make heads from tails with it.

Also what file system in use, the default btrfs? If so, you may be low on space since you indicate a small partition?

No, I used ext4 exclusively. The root partition is at 60%, so it’s not a problem - yet. One reason I had for formatting root and installing a new system was to get rid of junk I wasn’t using.

Hi
So it’s having problems with the USB mouse (or maybe the USB port) by the looks… can you remove the mouse and reboot to see where you get?

Good “morning”. I was up so late struggling with so many problems on this new install that I slept well into the afternoon. While eating “breakfast” we had yet another infamous Philippine power outage. So when the power was restored I waited for everything to boot up again, then went to the computer, to find a fine looking gui login screen staring back at me! This is strange, since I rebooted three times trying to see if rebooting would make a difference - it didn’t. The only difference this time is that it was a sudden power outage instead of a proper shutdown. I never got a chance to try the thing with the mouse. But I’m still not happy because I have no idea what’s doing this. I greatly dislike mysteries.

I also noticed that there’s also an Xorg.1.log file too. I guess I was too exhausted to notice it last night. So in the ftp server I renamed the previous Xorg.0.log file to Xorg.0.log.PREVIOUS and copied the current (newer) Xorg.0.log and Xorg.1.log to the ftp server in case you want to look at them too. Maybe it has a clue to what’s going on now. I figure that this weird problem can strike again anytime without warning, and it would be nice to learn what caused it.

Hi
I think it’s either the mouse or USB port it’s connected too, 99% or the log you uploaded was the mouse continually setting/resetting, maybe a flaky power rail warning you of the impending power failure… :wink:

Well, I don think it’s the mouse. I unplugged the mouse and rebooted without it, and there was no difference in the problem, and instead I got a slew of similar log entries, this time about the keyboard.

TWO NEW SYMPTOMS:

1. Whenever I have this problem I cannot connect my WDTV wifi video box to the NFS server, but the server is running.
  2. I just noticed that there is a problem with something called Plymouth. I have no idea what it is or what to do about it, but I fiddled with it with **systemctl restart plymouth-start.service **and now I’ve got a gui working! (…for now.) I figure the problem will return promptly. Then I did this:

systemctl status plymouth-start.service

● plymouth-start.service - Show Plymouth Boot Screen
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Thu 2016-12-15 21:37:46 PHT; 4min 53s ago
Main PID: 250 (code=dumped, signal=SEGV)
Dec 15 21:37:01 behne systemd[1]: Starting Show Plymouth Boot Screen…
Dec 15 21:37:01 behne systemd[1]: Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
Dec 15 21:37:46 behne systemd[1]: plymouth-start.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=11/SEGV
Dec 15 21:37:46 behne systemd[1]: plymouth-start.service: Unit entered failed state.
Dec 15 21:37:46 behne systemd[1]: plymouth-start.service: Failed with result ‘core-dump’.
Dec 15 21:37:46 behne systemd-coredump[2541]: Process 250 (plymouthd) of user 0 dumped core.

I’m too new to systemctl to know how to use it effectively, but it appears that this plymouth, whatever it is, is behind my problem. What should I do next?

Hi
It’s the startup screen, I remove it all and then block it from updating and then rebuild the initrd so it’s gone…

zypper rm libply-boot-client4 libply-splash-core4 libply-splash-graphics4 libply4 plymouth plymouth-branding-openSUSE plymouth-dracut  plymouth-plugin-label-ft plymouth-plugin-script plymouth-scripts
zypper al libply-boot-client4 libply-splash-core4 libply-splash-graphics4 libply4 plymouth plymouth-branding-openSUSE plymouth-dracut  plymouth-plugin-label-ft plymouth-plugin-script plymouth-scripts
mkinitrd

Are you using a wireless network connection via Network Manager?

This (and your original problem) may be related to 1013200 – sddm-greeter dumped core.
I.e. the display-manager.service doesn’t wait for systemd’s logind to start. If it starts first, user sessions cannot be registered with logind, which means the user(s) do not get certain privileges. This results in users not being able to directly access the graphics card (which causes the SDDM login screen to crash because it runs as non-privileged user), and also that the wireless connection might not work.

This problem should actually be fixed by an update (xdm) yesterday though.

But if you are using a NetworkManager user connection, it is only established when you login anyway, so it is to be expected that your nfs server is not reachible until you actually login.

I’m too new to systemctl to know how to use it effectively, but it appears that this plymouth, whatever it is, is behind my problem. What should I do next?

Plymouth is the graphical boot splash.
You could disable it by adding “plymouth.enable=0” to the kernel parameters (YaST->System->Boot Loader).

This may or may not be 902401 – plymouth segfault.

No joy. That did stop the gui boot up, but still no login gui.

My computer is hardwired to the modem/router. As to software I’m using what got installed by default, whatever that is. Other things, like this Galaxy Tab S I’m using with NoMachine to connect with the X server is using the wifi. So is the WDTV box that uses NFS to read some directories in my home account.
AFAIN the network is up as soon as the system boots, why would NFS not work until I get logged in? That kind of defeates the purpose.

This (and your original problem) may be related to 1013200 – sddm-greeter dumped core.
I.e. the display-manager.service doesn’t wait for systemd’s logind to start. If it starts first, user sessions cannot be registered with logind, which means the user(s) do not get certain privileges. This results in users not being able to directly access the graphics card (which causes the SDDM login screen to crash because it runs as non-privileged user), and also that the wireless connection might not work.

This problem should actually be fixed by an update (xdm) yesterday though.

After reading that I checked for the upgrades, installed it, and… No joy.

But if you are using a NetworkManager user connection, it is only established when you login anyway, so it is to be expected that your nfs server is not reachible until you actually login.

Plymouth is the graphical boot splash.
You could disable it by adding “plymouth.enable=0” to the kernel parameters (YaST->System->Boot Loader).

This may or may not be Invalid Bug ID

Need to set NM to allow all users to use it. It then starts at an earlier time/ Look in the NM settings